Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Unique Turbo Recommendation, Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Question Unique Turbo Recommendation, Please

Hello. Yes I am new, and yes I have read hours of this very informative forum. Appreciation in advance for all is contains.

I am building up an LY6 for use in a jet boat, and looking for turbo recommendations. It seems like an S480 is almost best fit, but I am unsure about details such as turbine and compressor sizes, etc....

I plan to do this in 2 stages. First is base engine with cam and turbo while I learn the HP Tuners software, then possibly upgrade the heads if they lift. I will fuel with 100% ethanol, and also cool the boosted charge with methanol upstream of the throttle body. Having lake water available, it will also utilize an air/liquid intercooler. Looks like 120 pound injectors.

I really like the idle and power potential of the TU2 and Livernois Stage 2 cams, with a turbo. Leaning that way, and to hopefully use LS2/LQ9 pistons if they will not hit the valves (I have not found an answer on this yet, may just have to buy one eBay piston and try it). E38 ECM, DBW, all from 2008 van for $950 complete with harness, starter, and controller. 210,000 miles on it, will rebuild it first.

Sorry to ask a boat question here, but you guys know more about these engines than GM, no joke.

Again, thanks in advance. A jet boat is like a single speed car climbing straight up a hill with a 4500 stall converter in it, so low end boost and spool time is not important at all.

Last edited by FormulaBoat; 02-20-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Mis-spellings.

Quick Reply: Unique Turbo Recommendation, Please