Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

can my 5.3 spool this?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can my 5.3 spool this?

I have been debating on whether to use this turbo or not. I want to just because of the "wow" factor, and the fact that is is good for about 1200 hp. It is a 68mm Garrett unit from a 12L detroit diesel, it has a .68 a/r compressor housing but the part that has me concerned is the exhaust side, it is a 1.72 a/r, but it has a variable vane system. is it worth trying to fit this monster in my engine bay, or should i try to go with something smaller? it is in a truck so space isn't at a premium, but don't want to do a bunch of work to fit it and it not work

BTW it is the one on the right, that is a Holset hx55 on the left to give an idea of the size of this thing

Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

It should work alright.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
It should work alright.
^^^really????

Noone can give u an answer at this point, just taking a shot in the dark if they havent used it themselves.

What are your goals?
What compression, cam, heads?
Do you have the means to use the variable vane?
Have you done any reasearch for anyone running it on a similar displacement engine with the same rpm range?

Measure the wheels tip to tip (that comp wheel looks bigger than 68mm in the pic)
Measure the downpipe size, can you fit it if its 5 or 6 inch?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That turbo will SUCK for your gasoline engine. The reason is, the exhaust side is HUGE and the compressor size is narrow. Diesels operate in a really narrow RPM range and have a lot of displacement. So they need huge turbine housings to flow their exhaust yet the compressor housing stays small and narrow because of operating in such narrow fields.

You will end up with a laggy turbo system that, once it does spool, does not "hit" or have that "punch" to it. It will be quickly out of the its efficiency at low RPM and quickly out of its efficiency at high RPM.

I've run Holsets on gasoline cars previously and unless you hybrid them (aka takes an HX40 cold side to a T3 HX35 hot side...) you end up with a very lame powerband.

A 68mm comp with a T6 1.72 AR (laughing as I say that) is so backwards its not funny. I know of a couple guys running HX55's but they run much higher RPM than you guys and are hybrid'ing them with smaller housings.

Honestly the only "wow factor" for me as someone who understand turbocharger design is "wow, what an awful turbo match up".

Sorry!

Pass
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 AM
TECH Regular

it is very similar in specs to the BW s475 which I have seen people using with wild success. just with a larger exhaust housing, and V.V. and yes it does work it operates off of boost reference and acts as an internal wastegate. I have plenty of room for exhaust, and I am planning on splitting the single 5" outlet down into 2 3" bullhorns. this is going on a 275 tire/stock suspension truck, so I actually need something kind of laggy. my tire/suspension setup will not allow for much boost on the launch. I have measure both exhaust and compressor wheels and they measure 68 at the inducer, 91 at the exducer. and the 5.3 will be stock cam/heads with valvesprings to reduce float for now until I go through it later with a cam and headgaskets/studs etc. I plan to push the limits of it and see what a stock 5.3 can do. I think i am going to try it and see. I have the flange, and am readyt o tear the truck back apart to rearrange things so I will fit this monstrosity up in there and see what it does. if it doesn't work I will get ahold of a BW unit since I have seen them proven
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

in a bit of irony, I looked up what BW s475's are going for, and found a listing where it says they are a direct replacement to this unit. so I would like to think they are very similar. if not, it will not be hard to change out
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will work but it will never be good for 1200hp lol. You could make 800 with it though and back pressure will be low for sure.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you wanna test it then go for it. Def post the results, im curious to see if the V.V will help it spool a sig amount

Have you found a compressor map for it? 1200hp is 120lb/min or air. Thats a bad *** 68mm wheel if it moves that much
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Dur did you not see the variable geometry part?

Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5
That turbo will SUCK for your gasoline engine. The reason is, the exhaust side is HUGE and the compressor size is narrow. Diesels operate in a really narrow RPM range and have a lot of displacement. So they need huge turbine housings to flow their exhaust yet the compressor housing stays small and narrow because of operating in such narrow fields.

You will end up with a laggy turbo system that, once it does spool, does not "hit" or have that "punch" to it. It will be quickly out of the its efficiency at low RPM and quickly out of its efficiency at high RPM.

I've run Holsets on gasoline cars previously and unless you hybrid them (aka takes an HX40 cold side to a T3 HX35 hot side...) you end up with a very lame powerband.

A 68mm comp with a T6 1.72 AR (laughing as I say that) is so backwards its not funny. I know of a couple guys running HX55's but they run much higher RPM than you guys and are hybrid'ing them with smaller housings.

Honestly the only "wow factor" for me as someone who understand turbocharger design is "wow, what an awful turbo match up".

Sorry!

Pass
Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

How is the VV controlled on that turbo? it looks (by the pic)like it uses a mechanical actuator. If its strictly mechanical then what psi does it begin to switch from high restriction to low restriction? Think of it being basically your wastegate, are you prepared if the thing doesnt limit boost until 30psi?

I think experimentation is what drives motor sports to go faster and faster, but a proven s475 and wastegate is $1000 or less. is it worth it? Is the turbo in good condition?

You sound like you want to try it out for the hell of it, which i think is cool, just giving you something to think about
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He doesnt have anything in the turbo. Just say its close to free. I'm the guy he got it from and thats my hx55. If they are having problems spooling a hx55 then I feel a little bad. I have a geo with a hy35 on it and roll on I hit about 15psi first gear and can do 20plus in 2nd. In comparison hx55 isn't that big compared to motor size. I say put that antiwheelie turbo on the front and if you have trouble spooling it hit it with a small shot out of the hole on a hobs switch till 10-15psi. Just my 2cents
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

yeah, I'm going to try it. I was looking at the engine bay yesterday and think I have it all sorted out. like I said, if this one doesn't work for some reason, I can pick up a rebuilt s475 for about $500 that I know will work and make big numbers, and be a direct fit replacement
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by silver_82
How is the VV controlled on that turbo? it looks (by the pic)like it uses a mechanical actuator. If its strictly mechanical then what psi does it begin to switch from high restriction to low restriction? Think of it being basically your wastegate, are you prepared if the thing doesnt limit boost until 30psi?

I think experimentation is what drives motor sports to go faster and faster, but a proven s475 and wastegate is $1000 or less. is it worth it? Is the turbo in good condition?

You sound like you want to try it out for the hell of it, which i think is cool, just giving you something to think about
the VV is on a boost controlled actuator. so basically it hooks up like a regular wastegate. I will have to check it more and see what kind of pressure it is set for factory, I may have to put a lighter spring in it. this should be fun. now I just have to find a smaller radiator to make room for this thing
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just go for it Ive seen people spool bigger turbos than that one, just dont expect to go over the 1000HP mark.

Edit: I would think of something else in case that setup doesnt work. Different turbo and such. I think it will spool legit but leave some room for another turbo in case the current one doesn do a good job.

Last edited by Blackpanther99; 03-04-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

well that's why I was saying it is good to know the BW s475 is a direct fit replacement for this one, and I have seen several people running it with great success. so if this one doesn't work, I will pick up one of those units and won't have to really change anything
Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup^ thats what I was trying to say. Goodluck man. Keep us posted.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

thanks will do. I have a possible trade pending for the truck that this was intended for (one in sig) but even if it goes through, the new vehicle will be the recipient of this monstrosity. either way, I'm putting a big *** turbo on SOMETHING haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can my 5.3 spool this?