Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Measuring boost before & after intercooler--What is an acceptable loss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Measuring boost before & after intercooler--What is an acceptable loss?

I hear tell of some people having major restrictions via there FMIC's.

To figure this out they measure pre and post intercooler.

What is an acceptable amount of loss through the IC before it is technically considered a restriction on flow?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In for answers as well, What cooler are you going with for your build ?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by conan
In for answers as well, What cooler are you going with for your build ?
Its an ATI FMIC
Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real answer is "as little as possible while retaining the most cooling as possible"

You need to judge that. If you have a gigantic intercooler and piping system that eats 5 psi then you will be raising temps to cool temps because you need to product 20 psi to make 15 into the engine. You want the minimum loss with the maximum cooling.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

I am seeing alot more turbo guys go without Intercoolers altogether these days, but I cant recall if they are e85/meth or not, nor DD.

It would definately make you pray you never ran out of methanol and skipped logging IAT's.

but even if my IAT's are great, if im putting 20lbs in an losing 7 thru the IC id still be pretty bummed. Seems like all that air would compress into it, and basically bottleneck causing the flow issue....but reguardless, the same volume of air is flowing over the cooler when your flying down the track, so cooling is what it is. plenty of people who are not losing much if any flow at all, and having no issues with temps.

Heintz racing is very familiar with this. Be nice if theyd chime in. And im not disagreeing with you in any way on the last post, that is true. best of both worlds preferably. but the flow is the one making the real power here. more air more fuel.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

If the car is not a 100% track car, I would keep an intercooler on it. We have ran around 26 psi though my personal car on e85 with no intercooler with pretty good results even though the IATs are through the roof.

For street and track use, I would still run a FMIC. A good efficient front mount should have minimal pressure drop. Which ATI unit are you using?

Zach
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Heintz Racing
If the car is not a 100% track car, I would keep an intercooler on it. We have ran around 26 psi though my personal car on e85 with no intercooler with pretty good results even though the IATs are through the roof.

For street and track use, I would still run a FMIC. A good efficient front mount should have minimal pressure drop. Which ATI unit are you using?

Zach

ATI 1300hp race

what kind of pressure loss would you have to see before you started saying, to hell with this intercooler. and im not talking about just mine, im talking about any of them. this is a general discussion about IC. not a specific one really. thanks Heintz.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Really depends on what boost level you are at. If you are trying to only make 10psi manifold pressure, but you have 15psi on the inlet of the cooler, thats a decent restriction. Now if you were trying to make 30psi manifold pressure and it made 35 on the inlet side, I would not worry as much.

Zach
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Every case will be different, and also depends on cooler efficiency.

But I'd like to see 2psi or less at max load. Bigger is better when it comes to intercoolers in almost every instance.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

I was seeing 25psi pre i and 19.5 in the intake. 31x12x4 Ebay ic. I want to get a better one. Decent iats though. Ambient cruising and about 15 over at the end of the track
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I am hoping I can make 16lbs with my blower maxed out. If it were making 18-19 pre, and 16 post I would be pretty stoked. A custom blower hat may add a little more.

But yeah its true, each setup will be different, different piping, bends, and number of turns. When measuring at the intake, that might make a difference as well.

Quick Reply: Measuring boost before & after intercooler--What is an acceptable loss?