Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Are catch cans necessary???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Are catch cans necessary???

Like title says is a catch can really needed when running a turbo? Is there really that much blow by?

My plan is to run a line from the back of either valve cover then put a tee in them and connect it to the air filter side of turbo. Then the front port on the passengers valve cover I was going to use as the return from the oil scavenge pump. Would this work ok?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

we just leave the valve cover vents open on our cars.

no cans
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Do you then put a filter on the vents? If so does much oil come out causing a mess?

maybe i I will connect both valve cover vents to one filter and call it a day.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Do you then put a filter on the vents? If so does much oil come out causing a mess?

maybe i I will connect both valve cover vents to one filter and call it a day.

Just run two either 8-10an lines to a can it wont cost too much money and wont make a mess all over your engine bay.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was running breathers on my valve covers and they would get soaked in oil.
So I just went with a eBay catch can. No mess no more.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

If you dont mind oil spraying and having to push your dipstick tube in every time you open the hood your good. So technically you dont need one. But like they said above. You can buy them from ebay for $20. Your plan sounds fine. That is how mine is set up but no scavage pump and oil return going into the oil pan. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Last night I was trying to figure out how to run all my lines for the breathers vacuum etc…

I realized I will not be able to run the vacuum lines to the back of the intake manifold anymore. There are now only two vacuum lines going to the back of the intake, the brake booster and something that goes over to the a/c or heater. Those will have boost to them, so I need to connect them to the air filter side of the turbo for vacuum, correct?

My plan is to run a line off the air filter back to some sort of junction or vacuum block (I have seen a few mention on here). Then run the brake booster and that other vacuum line off them. Then if I need vacuum for anything else I can reference it from there.

The catch cans I was looking at on ebay has two ports and a filter on top. Do you run a line from each valve cover to the two ports? Or is one port for both valve covers, and the other port is ran to a vacuum source also? I don’t really see how running the lines into a can that has a filter directly above them stop oil vapor getting everywhere.

The more I think about this the more I confuse myself! So any and all help is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look at MIGHTYMOUSE. He makes them and has diagrams. They are def more than 20 but a nice piece. Alot of guys are running them. He makes them to use with vacuum, like what you are doing.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Jegs 52022 breather tank
Add on a second -10AN fitting
buy some -10an SSB hoses
Weld the fittings onto the valve covers
Run em, and Fuggetabadit!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gpr
Last night I was trying to figure out how to run all my lines for the breathers vacuum etc…

I realized I will not be able to run the vacuum lines to the back of the intake manifold anymore. There are now only two vacuum lines going to the back of the intake, the brake booster and something that goes over to the a/c or heater. Those will have boost to them, so I need to connect them to the air filter side of the turbo for vacuum, correct?

My plan is to run a line off the air filter back to some sort of junction or vacuum block (I have seen a few mention on here). Then run the brake booster and that other vacuum line off them. Then if I need vacuum for anything else I can reference it from there.

The more I think about this the more I confuse myself! So any and all help is appreciated.

This is a good point. The side going to the AC is what controls the Ac heater ***** inside the car. However when using the brake booster I guess once you'd let off the throttle the engine will make vacuum again. Will it? Either way subscribing I would like to know as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you run a vacuum source you will want to have an oil seperator of some sort so you don't stuck that **** back into the intake. I think that's why most people don't vacuum their catch can setups. Atleast i don't
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by denmah
we just leave the valve cover vents open on our cars.

no cans
Same here.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Most run a check valve going to the booster. That way in boost, not pulling your vacuum. Throttle blade closes, back in vacuum. If you just run lines to a can. Your just moving the breather point to another location. If you dont hook up to vacuum, there is nothing pulling the crank case pressure when not in boost. Its pushing it out. People are worried about all that oil going in the intake. The can will catch most and if you have that much blow by, you have bigger issues. lol

Either method obviously will work fine with all different setups people have. Just personal preference.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

i vent to the atmosphere... it's not like you can reuse the oil you catch
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I got to looking at this more tonight. I am removing the evap and the vacuum line on it has a one way check valve. I am going to use this and put it on the line for the a/c & heater controls. This why they will still work and i can put back into stock port off back of intake. Then the brake booster already has a one way valve in it, or at least i think all boosters do. Thus i will hook that back up in stock location as well. Those are the only two vacuum lines I have going to the intake since removing evap, and air pump.

For the vents on the valve covers the drivers side already has a one way pvc on it. Then the evap also had a one way valve right at the port it goes into the intake. What I'm thinking is run a line from the drivers side pvc valve to the port on that side of the intake.

then on the passengers side run a hose from the valve cover through the one way valve removed from the evap, then to the port on the intake on that side. Then the other port on the valve cover on the passengers side will be my oil scavenge pump return line. All ports are used, and the engine is still vented back into the intake. It is free and I believe should work well.

I won't be using a catch can, but i feel like buring the vapor from the valve covers won't hurt performance. Because both lines will have a one way valve, thus will only be burning engine vapors while not in boost. Only down side i see to doing this is when under boost the crank case won't be vented because the one way valves will be closed.... However this is the same as how mightymouses catch can is also....
Old 03-07-2013, 05:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer to keep my PCV system operational so here is now mine is setup. Here is a diagram, and you should read this thread, it has a ton of great info. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html

Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Nice diagram. What did you use to connect to the hole on the rear driver's side valve cover?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Only down side i see to doing this is when under boost the crank case won't be vented because the one way valves will be closed.... However this is the same as how mightymouses catch can is also....
this last part here is incorrect. yes my pcv valve closes keeping boost from getting in the catch can, but any positive pressure from the engine during boost is free to exit my breather valve on top.

there are pro's and cons to *most* any set up, gotta decide which of the pro's you NEED and which of the cons you are willing to deal with

-price
-complexity
-trying to DIY?
-oil in engine bay / smell
-being LEGAL (hey it happens)
-how much power, how loose is the engine set up
-making boost?
-tuning, removing pcv airflow?
-space / mounting options

here is a cool 'stealth' model just made for use with boost / big power and stock valve covers

Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Dave what's your backlog looking at current for catch cans?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

can ship out next week

Quick Reply: Are catch cans necessary???