Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

L33 stock cam and boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L33 stock cam and boost

I talked with Martin and will have a custom cam Spec'd later but im kinda itching to swap the 4.8 out for my L33 I just picked up. I bought the BTR springs which I will install.

Just curious if anyone has boosted the L33 cam . I know the L33 is the "LS6" of the truck world but wanted some real world input.

I PM'd Skinnies he said it should work fine for my 700whp goal but again just curious if anyone else has done it.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I remember correctly mine picked up right around 50fwhp going from a stock L33 cam to a 224/228 at 16psi on the dyno.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
If I remember correctly mine picked up right around 50fwhp going from a stock L33 cam to a 224/228 at 16psi on the dyno.
what was the final dyno number ?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the L33 cam a single bolt like the ls9 cam? I thought about upgrading to the ls9 cam from a stock L33 since they are cheap.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HexenLord
Is the L33 cam a single bolt like the ls9 cam? I thought about upgrading to the ls9 cam from a stock L33 since they are cheap.

I think they are both 3 bolt ?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't remember which are which lol. I think they both use the same setup so they can be easily swapped over to an ls9 cam for budget power with stock idle.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Launching!

I can't remember which are which lol. I think they both use the same setup so they can be easily swapped over to an ls9 cam for budget power with stock idle.

It looks better than the LS6 on paper and its $123 shipped BUT I know Denmah was a fan of them at first but later decided it was holding him back- the question should be is it better than the stock L33
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure its better. The ls9 cam is a cam designed to have aggressive lift and duration but with enough LSA so reduce overlap and improve idle quality.

The L33 cam is nothing more than a torque based truck cam with a slightly more aggressive profile. The ls9 cam should be leaps and bounds better than the L33 cam.

As for the cam holding him back, either way you slice it, its still a fairly small cam and isn't going to be the best cam for those looking for that last bit of power. Upgrading to almost any 220+ intake cam is going to give you more power. Saying the ls9 cam is holding you back is like saying that the L33 cam was holding you back 100 HP before that. As power increases, so will your need for a larger cam.

I'm interested in the ls9 cam because my car is going to be primarily a street car with mixed duty on both the drag strip and road course. Probably 90% street 10% mixed track. I'll need the large LSA for improved fuel economy and better idle vacuum. The cam should be based around your goals. If his were set higher than that, then yes the ls9 is going to be holding him back.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnieforrester
It looks better than the LS6 on paper and its $123 shipped BUT I know Denmah was a fan of them at first but later decided it was holding him back- the question should be is it better than the stock L33
I will sell you a brand new ls9 cam, 90 bucks shipped. I am doing a spec'd cam from AES, along with my engine build from them.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What exactly is required to swap the LS9 cam into the L33? I've heard 2 completely different things after doing some research.

I heard there may be some issues if the cam sensor is at the back of the block and that some conversion parts are necessary. Is this for converting from a 1 bolt to a 3 bolt only, or does this apply with the L33?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Launching!

What exactly is required to swap the LS9 cam into the L33? I've heard 2 completely different things after doing some research.

I heard there may be some issues if the cam sensor is at the back of the block and that some conversion parts are necessary. Is this for converting from a 1 bolt to a 3 bolt only, or does this apply with the L33?

I'm about 99% sure they are both 3 bolt.

you need a timing cover with the cam sensor on the frt cover, cam sensor, 1x cam gear and of course the extension harness. its about $150 for those items the last time I researched it.

so your $250 into the swap and can get a TU1 or Tick Stage one for ~$100 more.

I'm doing the micro-squirt which doesn't use a cam sensor so it saves me the hassle of the swap if i did a front read cam.

I'm sure a larger cam will give a better number at lesser boost but I think the LS6/Stock cam guys are just thinking turn the boost up 2-3 more psi-

Sure the bigger cam will always make more power at the same boost level

BUT if I had a target whp of 700whp I think the stock cam philosophy is add X amount of boost til it gets there and save the $

Where as a nice Turbo cam may make the 700whp at 5 less psi- the net HP is the same.

at least that's what Ive read on here
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I might use the stock cam, but I've seen some pictures that almost have me convinced otherwise:

Anywhere above ~5000 RPM, the Ls9 is going to shine. Since I'll probably be making peak power around 6000 RPM, there could easily be 50whp difference between the L33 and LS9 cams.

I may go for a custom grind, though. I'm REALLY dead-set on the stock-ish idle with great power. Any other cams fit this criteria that won't require me to switch over to a front cover with cam sensor in it?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hexenlord
d-set on the stock-ish idle with great power. Any other cams fit this criteria that won't require me to switch over to a front cover with cam sensor in it?

ls6 ?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I guess I'll start looking for an LS6 cam then. Sucks though, its much smaller than the LS9 cam.

Any other cam that'll be a direct swap into an L33 without having to swap covers or cam gears? Something with good idle/power? I've found a few used LS6 cams for a VERY low price.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I guess I'll start looking for an LS6 cam then. Sucks though, its much smaller than the LS9 cam.

Any other cam that'll be a direct swap into an L33 without having to swap covers or cam gears? Something with good idle/power? I've found a few used LS6 cams for a VERY low price.

no-I don't know of any- maybe one of the smart guys can chime in-

there was a GT2-3 for sale on one of the corvette forums a while back.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I might use the stock cam, but I've seen some pictures that almost have me convinced otherwise:

Anywhere above ~5000 RPM, the Ls9 is going to shine. Since I'll probably be making peak power around 6000 RPM, there could easily be 50whp difference between the L33 and LS9 cams.

I may go for a custom grind, though. I'm REALLY dead-set on the stock-ish idle with great power. Any other cams fit this criteria that won't require me to switch over to a front cover with cam sensor in it?

It looks to me that chart is NA and not boosted. If I had learned anything from this site , its in the combination of parts, i.e. -cam,heads,turbo,ect.
Just because you find a chart that shows one cam puts out more power than another dosent mean that it going to perform the same with your combination of parts. My advice do right the first time, just be patient and get a professional to do your cam. You will have a more efficient motor and be more happy you know you did it right....
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This will be about my 10th turbo motor and I used to help spec camshafts for the turbo sport compact guys. This is my first turbo ls so I'm not sure what types of camshafts are out there.

I know that the torque curve in that graph is a lot different than what. It will be once boosted, but its not far off on which came will make more power where.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The type of turbo being used along with a plethora of other specifications needs to be known before a cam can be chosen.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After tx2k13, we'll strap down a 5.3 / 76mm setup in maxxmitchell's car and see what it does with the stock l33 cam.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

stock truck cam in a 6.0 at 11 psi, back when it weighed 3000lbs.

the same cam will act bigger in a 5.3

just letting you know what the free cam is capable of

Quick Reply: L33 stock cam and boost