Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

High HP(1500hp+) EFI/E85 Fuel Sytems, what are you guys using? Pics welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default High HP(1500hp+) EFI/E85 Fuel Sytems, what are you guys using? Pics welcome

Need some fuel pump, regulator, line size, line routing, fuel cell/tank ideas if anyone is willing to share their set-up. Have several customers I've already asked, just want to see some other ideas and what the majority is using. Right now I'm leaning towards a Magnafuel 4703, a Turbosmart FPR-3000 regulator along with -10 feed and -10 return lines. Want to run a y-block behind the manifold to feed both rails, then run a single line from each rail to the regulator and then return that to the tank.

On our shop car we are running a plastic tank(99-02) and it just has a -10 or -12 fitting in the bottom of the tank and the pump and dual fuel filters are mounted inline with the pump on the tank itself. We haven't had any issues with the fuel system done like this in place of a sumped portion of the tank. Granted this is a 1000rwhp nitrous car, but on gasoline not ethanol, but the single in-line pump does supply the nitrous enrichment fuel so it's being put to work and not just supplying engine fuel enrichment.

Would like to see what the big HP guys out there are running. Doesn't have to be a 1500hp set-up, but I do hope to make 1000rwhp on ethanol. Would like to not have any problems with fuel supply.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 03-30-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

belt drive pump will supply more than you will ever need,

AND as you raise the pressure, the flow does not decrease, unlike an electric pump that loses flow as pressure increases, thus you could run your injectors at 90, even 100psi and get way more fuel out of them.

additionally, there is no amp draw, and it is dead quiet in operation
Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

i was gonna run one of these as far as a sump goes. get rid of the barbed fitting and put on a -10an for the feed.

http://www.hellmannperformance.com/p...mann-fuel-sump
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
belt drive pump will supply more than you will ever need,

AND as you raise the pressure, the flow does not decrease, unlike an electric pump that loses flow as pressure increases, thus you could run your injectors at 90, even 100psi and get way more fuel out of them.

additionally, there is no amp draw, and it is dead quiet in operation
I've thought long and hard about a belt drive. I was very close to pulling the trigger on an Aeromotive belt drive fuel pump, but if I do a belt drive I would have to run -10 lines from the pump, back to a cell or tank in the back, then back to the engine again. That gets expensive quick. I know I could just stick a 2 or 3 gallon fuel cell up front and be done with it, but I should of laid something else out for requirements as well.

I want to drive this thing on the street, and a 2-3 gallon fuel cell on ethanol isn't going to cut it. I need to be able to drive this thing 65 miles one way to work and have enough fuel storage volume to never worry about running out of fuel. I'd love to be able to drive it there AND back home without filling up, but that may be pushing it. I'll have to see how much fuel the car drinks just driving it around.

I know most E85 guys run crazy fuel pressure because their injectors are usually sized too small for the power they're making, but I've got a set of FIC 1600cc injectors sitting here for this thing that should supply the fuel volume I need without ever having to go over 70-75psi fuel pressure while under full boost.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by allout06
i was gonna run one of these as far as a sump goes. get rid of the barbed fitting and put on a -10an for the feed.

http://www.hellmannperformance.com/p...mann-fuel-sump
Damn I like that.

Bookmarked for future reference.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I've thought long and hard about a belt drive. I was very close to pulling the trigger on an Aeromotive belt drive fuel pump, but if I do a belt drive I would have to run -10 lines from the pump, back to a cell or tank in the back, then back to the engine again. That gets expensive quick. I know I could just stick a 2 or 3 gallon fuel cell up front and be done with it, but I should of laid something else out for requirements as well.

I want to drive this thing on the street, and a 2-3 gallon fuel cell on ethanol isn't going to cut it. I need to be able to drive this thing 65 miles one way to work and have enough fuel storage volume to never worry about running out of fuel. I'd love to be able to drive it there AND back home without filling up, but that may be pushing it. I'll have to see how much fuel the car drinks just driving it around.

I know most E85 guys run crazy fuel pressure because their injectors are usually sized too small for the power they're making, but I've got a set of FIC 1600cc injectors sitting here for this thing that should supply the fuel volume I need without ever having to go over 70-75psi fuel pressure while under full boost.
Wouldn't it be almost the same either way?

Belt Drive:

-10 from tank to pump ~15'
-10 from pump to Y for rails ~3'
-10 from Reg back to tank ~15'

Electric in rear:

-10 from tank to pump ~2'
-10 from pump to Y for rails~ 15'
-10 from reg to tank ~15'

Also, do you think going -12 from the tank to whatever pump would be beneficial?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Launching!

The problem with the belt drive pump is u still need to run a small electric pump to prime the system then shut pump off after motor fires. Unless u run a small cell upfront then u you would just run a one way check valve and that would just keep pressure in then lines.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn. You guys run some fuel pressure. I only run 45lbs of fuel pressure and it bumps to about 50lbs when the second pump kicks on with boost.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GIMPY02
The problem with the belt drive pump is u still need to run a small electric pump to prime the system then shut pump off after motor fires. Unless u run a small cell upfront then u you would just run a one way check valve and that would just keep pressure in then lines.
not necessarily. i run methanol and i have a 1 quart cell, small $30 pump and used fuel solenoid for priming when it is cold, but in the summer, it starts without the primer in two cranks.

it might have cost $150 in parts. i dont *think* it would be a problem with e85.

another thing to think about is belt drive doesnt heat the fuel like an electric.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When running a electric fuel pump it is best to run a larger line into the pump. This reduces how hard the pump has to work. Electric fuel pumps are designed to push not pull. For the horse power you are looking for like 89ROC-Z suggests you would want to run a -12 from the tank to the pump then a -10 to the Y-Block. In some cases I have seen -16 from the cell to the pump.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM
I need a gauge for that

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could use the factory fuel system to fill a 2-3 gallon cell in the engine bay and let a mechanical pump pull from that cell. Just a thought...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Pathological Modifier

With a belt driven fuel pump you really need a front mounted fuel tank unless you run a cable drive that puts the pump back in the rear of the car. I ran one (not cable drive) and had issues with it breaking up on the launch. Tried everything.

Now, I run:

-12 from fuel cell to a big *** pre-filter
then -12 to the suction of a weldon 2035db
then -10 to a y-fitting to -8s
after the y, I have two 10 micron filters (trying to minimize restrictions after the pump)
Then to the rails.
From the rails, it is -8 to a big *** aeromotive regulator,
then -8 back to the cell.

in parallel with the weldon pump I have a Walbro 255HP that runs all the time. The weldon only turns on when in boost.

This system runs perfect and is nice and quiet on the street.

Will support 1200+ on E85
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
not necessarily. i run methanol and i have a 1 quart cell, small $30 pump and used fuel solenoid for priming when it is cold, but in the summer, it starts without the primer in two cranks.

it might have cost $150 in parts. i dont *think* it would be a problem with e85.

another thing to think about is belt drive doesnt heat the fuel like an electric.
How long are or fuel lines? Anything I've ever put together with tank in stock location I've ran a small cheap pump just for priming. I'm not saying it needs to be used all the time but its there if its needed.

Or just buy a behind bars race cars complete fuel system with pump mounted in tank and call it a day... Best fuel system I've ever bought and installed and he's a magnafuel dealer.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Cable drive or a Weldon/manga fuel, cable drive gets my vote all the way
Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 AM
Launching!

I'm running a waterman belt drive with a 3 gallon cell up front. Small pump and line in the back feeding the front cell. 1500rwhp e-85 blow thru
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan K
With a belt driven fuel pump you really need a front mounted fuel tank unless you run a cable drive that puts the pump back in the rear of the car. I ran one (not cable drive) and had issues with it breaking up on the launch. Tried everything.

Now, I run:

-12 from fuel cell to a big *** pre-filter
then -12 to the suction of a weldon 2035db
then -10 to a y-fitting to -8s
after the y, I have two 10 micron filters (trying to minimize restrictions after the pump)
Then to the rails.
From the rails, it is -8 to a big *** aeromotive regulator,
then -8 back to the cell.

in parallel with the weldon pump I have a Walbro 255HP that runs all the time. The weldon only turns on when in boost.

This system runs perfect and is nice and quiet on the street.

Will support 1200+ on E85
Sounds like a sensible setup.

The problem with all those big pumps...the link claims the 4703 is a 2500hp pump....then in the small print, when running n/a. There isnt any flow data to suggest how the unit performs at higher pressures.
I'd guess that at 60-70psi as would be seen with a bit of boost....it will have dropped a good 30-40% of it's flow as most of them seem to do.
It would be very helpful if they offered some flow data.

Perhaps something like that and a Bosch 044 running for normal usage like desribed above would give plenty of headroom.

That sump linked above looks tiny. Better than nothing I guess, but still tiny.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Pathological Modifier

That is the nice thing about the weldons, they give you a flow graph of pressure, flow rate and current.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd do a belt drive at that level. However a MF4303 will support 1000whp on E so you thought of the 4703 should work for a little more. I'm adding an 044 to this one to go for 1200ish.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Martin, Weldon 2345 pump, -12 to pump, -10 feed and return. Will be plenty!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you posted this up Martin! Useful information for me as well!

Quick Reply: High HP(1500hp+) EFI/E85 Fuel Sytems, what are you guys using? Pics welcome