Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

JGS Fire Ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default JGS Fire Ring

I found a metal ring in my JGS 50mm WG box and I think it's the "fire ring". Can someone explain how it's installed? From what little info I could find online, I think it goes on the inlet side and gets sandwiched in between the v-bands, and it's supposed to open the gate slightly but it makes a seal against the valve? Is this correct?

Also does anyone know what spring comes in the this wastegate? I think it came with one other spring but there are no labels or directions. I couldn't for the life of me get the snap ring off to check the spring that's in there already
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

you are correct. The spring my jgs 50mm was 3-4lbs, swapped to the other one and it seems to be a 9.5lb spring. i also had to modify a tool to get the c-clip off
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
you are correct. The spring my jgs 50mm was 3-4lbs, swapped to the other one and it seems to be a 9.5lb spring. i also had to modify a tool to get the c-clip off
Good info, thanks! My snap ring pliers were not up to the task. I'll be modifying a pair of needle nose pliers to get it off.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I just changed mine out.
I used a large harbor frieght C-Clamp to compress/hold the housing together. I put the assembly in a vise, holding the c-clamp for stability. I tried using my 'variable' (aka crap, POS, etc) C-clip pliers but soon tired of chasing the variable pins around the shop when they would invariably pop off w/o doing a damn thing. Off to the hardware store to get some REAL Craftsman C-Clip pliers. I got the clip off in no time with the Craftsman. I then simply unscrewed the c-clamp and the assembly came apart.

Here's the setup, stock/standard/weak spring on the far left, it's steroid brother beside it.

Here's the components laid out...

Notice that silvery looking ring on the right? What kind of dumbass would leave that off during the initial assembly and trial drive? Lol... uh.. me.
So.. I'm actually glad I decided to change the spring because I was puzzled why I had such low boost with my new setup. <face palm>

I just took it out with the new spring (and the fire-ring installed). I routed my boost controller in the "High Boost" configuration. Holy crap... I just took off from a stop in the fashion you would in clear traffic. It was really moving so I let off in 2nd gear. I press the 'History' button on my AEM Tru boost to see what boost it got to before I left off. Ha! Farkin' 17psi in 2nd gear and I wasn't even stomping it. Whew. I'm going to reroute to the 'normal' boost configuration.

Quick Reply: JGS Fire Ring