Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3rd gen TA exhaust manifold options - LS3 or LS7 vette manifolds??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd gen TA exhaust manifold options - LS3 or LS7 vette manifolds??

Hey all. My original turbo setup while it worked for a while is not the best setup, and the hybrid iron/mild steel custom manifolds have been cracking every 200 miles or so. I want to ditch these POS's ASAP and go to an all iron manifold, but I am curious if anyone has any ideas of what fits between the framerails of a 3rd gen?

I know the truck manifolds do not fit when flipped forward, but I have been looking at pictures of LS3 and LS7 vette manifolds and they look nice and tight, and I really like the placement of the exhaust outlet being more in the center of the block. My alternator will be relocated to the top of the pass side head, and I have a tubular K member, so it should be easy to run a pipe down each side of the oil pan for the merge.

Also, if anyone has measurements of how far these actually stick out from the motor at the farthest point, that'd be a HUGE help. I can cut the flanges off and weld on a V band if I need to as well. Just trying to find my best options for a nice durable factory iron manifold that has excellent side clearance. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS7 exhaust manifolds are a D port.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take a look at the holley cast iron manifolds
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
LS7 exhaust manifolds are a D port.
So is that any kind of an issue if using them on different heads? I'd think it shouldn't matter much with boost, as long as the ports line up ok.

Originally Posted by Krom
take a look at the holley cast iron manifolds
I've seen those, but I'm not to keen on where the outlets are on them (all the way in the back, or front for a turbo setup). I'd much prefer a manifold that had the outlets in the center area of the block for the way I'd like to set the merge pipe up.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

MaxxMitchell on here ran flipped truck manifolds on his 3rd gen. They would never tell me the mods they did to get it to work on the stock k member but I'd imagine a tubular one would make it easier. Might contact him for advice.

Another guy on thirdgen.org ran truck manifolds flipped upside down. It looked like a clean setup and fit under the hood easily. It hung the turbo in front of the water pump.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
MaxxMitchell on here ran flipped truck manifolds on his 3rd gen. They would never tell me the mods they did to get it to work on the stock k member but I'd imagine a tubular one would make it easier. Might contact him for advice.

Another guy on thirdgen.org ran truck manifolds flipped upside down. It looked like a clean setup and fit under the hood easily. It hung the turbo in front of the water pump.
I have a set of truck manifolds, and it looks like if you cut off the factory 3 bolt flanges and weld in some V-bands, they may work. I've seen the other setup with them flipped upside down, and honestly it looks ugly to me lol. I want the hotside pipes nice and low in the bay to keep the heat down. Thanks for the reply though man!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

If you ditch the steering box for a rack you can run the truck manifolds, Vband them for stock alternator location. I am using a different style manifold on my car's 4th turbo kit (30th something that I have built now) that would allow for a manual box, but it wouldnt clear the 4th Gen powersteering pump. I may be trying to swap a 4th Gen rack, power steering pump, and Vbanding another set of truck manifolds later this winter as I hate the pinto rack.

First kit - Fbody manifold on driverside pointing back, DIY log on passenger - Very crack prone but was first time welding so that was alot of the problem.

Second kit - T6 Modified truck manifold for clearance past steering box, this was before I started tig welding and learned how to Vband manifolds

Third kit - Twin turbo using MP70mm - I didnt like the lag on the stock motor, most of that was due to the converter

This is my current set up, I didnt have the heads cleaned off and they look horrible in this picture. This combo spools amazingly, makes great power, is super quite and runs very well.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen TA exhaust manifold options - LS3 or LS7 vette manifolds??