Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some help with My 5.3 idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some help with My 5.3 idea

Can you guys help me out and let me know if I'm on the right track. My goal here is to get at least 800fwhp, more is better! I'm on somewhat of a budget right now so I'm going to be using the 5.3, mainly because I already have it. I dont plan to upgrade the rods or pistons, just new rings gapped .024-.026 for boost. Of course I'll have all new bearings installed, studs etc. but I'm not sure what to do about a cam. I know TSP 224 cam does well in the 5.3 but what should I go with since I'll be going with a Turbo?
Which brings me to my next question, the Turbo. I've only seen a few threads about the pt88 but I liked what I saw. It is a little expensive and I was wondering if that would be "overkill" for what I'm trying to achieve? If so, what would be a decent, more inexpensive turbo?
A few more questions I have would be about the Heads, Converter and the Gears, where should I go in terms of these? Can I get my goal with a stock casting head like a 243 or something or do I need to step it up to PRC243s or something? I don't really have the money to spend 2k+ on a set of heads. As for the Converter and Gears, I have no clue where to start.

Stock 5.3
Piston Rings gapped .024-.026
All new Bearings
arp Rod Bolts
arp Main Studs
arp Head Studs
LS6 Oil Pump
Double Roller TC
LS9 Head Gaskets
LS7 Lifters
Pushrods
Double Valve Springs
LS6 Intake (until funds become available for a Fast102)
Stock 862s (until funds become available for ported 243s)
Turbo - S400SX-76, 1.32, 96mm, T6
th400
3.23 Gears

Cam ??? Spec'd from Martin@Tick
Converter ???

Last edited by B(o)(o)sted98TA; 06-14-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Is this unrealistic? I'm just trying to get a game plan lined up before I attempt to tackle this project.. I want to have my Engine, Trans and Suspension "Boost Ready" so when it's time, I won't have to worry about anything.

For my suspension I'm going to use MWC products along with there Kmember for more clearance with the DP. Trans will be a built th400 as stated above, just need help choosing the right Converter and Gears out back.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming that since you said fwhp you mean flywheel horsepower. If that is the case then you are well on the right track. a set of stock heads can get the job done, or a set of ls1 heads will work well. you can can run 6.0 heads if you plan to really push it, but it will drop your compression pretty low. For cams, the ls6 cam will get you where you want to be, but the Tu1 is becoming a more popular choice along with Tick's new line of boost cams. For the turbo, it depends on budget and engine bay constraints. anything from a 68-88mm will work for you. 76 is about the most commonly used size that. Borg Warner s400 series turbos have been producing some amazing results, but don't discount the chinese ebay units either. for the converter, it is best to call up a company like FTI or any of the sponsors and give them your vehicle weight, gear, use etc and let them spec it out for you. There is a science to converters, and that is one thing usually best left to the experts. As for gears, turbo setups like a taller gear. So look for something in the 3.08-3.42 range. 3.23's seem to be a good middle of the road choice.
There are a lot of successful builds on here using alot of these common parts consistently making in the 600+whp range. Also be sure to invest in a good tune, since you will only really see the advantage of all these parts working together with a tune that fits the setup.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so one vote for a Tu1 Cam, I'll probably stick with my 862s until I can get some ported prc 243s
How much difference would there be between the 76mm and 88mm?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Launching!

a boost friendly cam with at least a 114 LSA is what you want...ultimately you will leave power on the table going with an LS6 or other OTS cam...800fwhp is around 725 whp through a turbo 400....a t6 flange 76mm is what you are going to want to go with for those numbers...also loo at the VS racing 80mm that denmah runs on his 6.0 truck. an ebay GT45 wont cut it alone with the power you want to make... when denmah made 700whp with his 5.3, he was also spraying nitrous..granted he had a completely stock bottom end and you plan to run aftermarket parts. you will be able to push it harder....just keep in mind though...dont bottleneck your setup. big turbo, big boost = good flowing heads and matching cam...a set of ported 5.3 heads will do you just fine with an LS1 intake valve. also, dont be scared of a little compression when running boost. our X275 car ran 10.5:1 compression with an PT LF85 turbo....as long as you have the supporting mods and dont get greedy with boost, the higher compression will help with spool time and out of boost response. low compression is for lawn mowers.

make sure you pick your converter according to your camshaft, gears overall setup. in other words, call an expert. my Yank converter was almost $900 but totally worth it and probably the last converter i will need since i can send it back and have it setup for different combo's...

what EFI are you wanting to run and what fuel pumps, lines etc?

if i was you:

custom Tick Cam spec'd by martin

Ported 862 heads, LS1 intake valve and milled to 60cc's

VS racing 80mm turbo or an BW S400

44mm wastegate

LS6 intake (this is your choke point )

120lb injectors

meth injection

gears, keep them close to highway gears... no more than 3.55....you want your gears to create load to bring spool in quicker..too much gear will cause your motor to rev and not allow the turbo to catch up..it will feel as if your turbo doesnt make boost until high gear....i went into the 10's with a 3.08 gear in my Turbo mustang...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't really thought about a fuel pump but I know I'm going to need at least a -10 Feed line and -8 for the return. I had an Aeromotive A1000 before but it was a little too noisy for me.

What is the compression of a stock 5.3 with untouched 862s? What would it bring it up to with them milled to 60cc?

Also, with this setup (without meth) would I be around my limit of 800hp or would I still have room for more? I know I could upgrade the Intake and get a little more but other than that, what else would make me limited?

Last but not least, I was thinking about a set of 3.23s for the Gear... Good choice for Daily Driving, if need be?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Launching!

i agree, a -10 feed and -8 return would be a smart choice with an A1000 or something similar. a twin set of Bosch 044 pumps would be up to the task as well.

the compression on stock 862 heads is 62cc.... if you dont want to run methanol i would keep them the stock CC and just un shroud the valves but port the rest of the head.

i would venture to say that you were certainly need a better intake manifold, TB and go with a EFI system that runs off of map...get rid of the MAF..

but again, the best choice would be to plan it all ahead of time for your goals....800hp is a hefty task for a budget and as you can see, its "budget" aspect is going away fast...LOL...as long as you are matching your parts up and letting the engine builders help you out with advice, parts etc you should have a positive outcome...there is this misconception that throwing parts at a setup and expecting XXX HP is the norm..its not

those gears would be fine on the street...

Originally Posted by B(o)(o)sted98TA
I haven't really thought about a fuel pump but I know I'm going to need at least a -10 Feed line and -8 for the return. I had an Aeromotive A1000 before but it was a little too noisy for me.

What is the compression of a stock 5.3 with untouched 862s? What would it bring it up to with them milled to 60cc?

Also, with this setup (without meth) would I be around my limit of 800hp or would I still have room for more? I know I could upgrade the Intake and get a little more but other than that, what else would make me limited?

Last but not least, I was thinking about a set of 3.23s for the Gear... Good choice for Daily Driving, if need be?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I've already had the A1000 and I'd like to go with something other than that for sure. What are my other options besides the Twin Bosch 044?

The LS6 Intake is just to get me up and running. I'll eventually switch it up with the Fast102, thought about going the Vic Jr/4150tb route but I don't know if I want to cut the cowl any... It's still up in the air.

I don't guess I understand what your talking about when it comes to the EFI... Can you explain that to me or post a link so I can read up on that.
What setup do you suggest and why?

I know there is more to building an engine than just selecting random parts and throwing it all together, thats why I have you and the rest of the sponsors here to help me along the way This is going to be my first Turbo Build so I want to have all my ducks in a row before I begin...

Last edited by B(o)(o)sted98TA; 06-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

How well would this Turbo work for me?

S400SX-76, 1.32, 96mm, T6
Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Any input?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Launching!

as long as your other supporting mods work with it, that is a fantastic turbo

Originally Posted by B(o)(o)sted98TA
How well would this Turbo work for me?

S400SX-76, 1.32, 96mm, T6
Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone else, who has experience with this turbo, have anymore input?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Launching!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=166549
Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Launching!

your best bet is to call up Work Turbochargers and ask them...like a cam and a torque converter, a turbo can be setup to your specs of your motor.

Quick Reply: Need some help with My 5.3 idea