Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Carwash Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carwash Issues?

Hi,
I'm new to the forced induction realm...
Although I'm not beyond hand-washing my car from here on out, I was wondering if anybody had any qualms about taking their car through an automatic carwash, with or without the underbody spray?
(If equipped with an F-Body Procharger Setup...and possibly a "Big Red" valve added onto the Y-Pipe).
Seems like an absolute "DO NOT DO THIS!!!" to me, but I was just wondering if procharger took this possibility into account when designing their setup?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

Legit question,however a drive thru car wash is the last thing id take my car thru.id recommend hand washing only.those brushes wreak havoc on paint and partly cause swirl marks.other option find a detail shop you can trust that does hand washes.this is what I do with my cars.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stangtrader
Legit question,however a drive thru car wash is the last thing id take my car thru.id recommend hand washing only.those brushes wreak havoc on paint and partly cause swirl marks.other option find a detail shop you can trust that does hand washes.this is what I do with my cars.
Believe me, I'd NEVER take mine to a "brushed" automatic carwash for those exact reasons. I've only used the touchless autos between handwashes to keep it looking good on the quick.
My concern is water getting into the intake or bypass valve of a Procharger system if I used one with the underbody wash...
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that if your car was off (and not sucking in air), and that there was absolutely no water spraying from underneath the car, (like in a touchless carwash), that you should be fine.

Most guys with prochargers have air filters down low though, so if the car is running, and the air filter is sitting right down underneath the car when it gets sprayed, I can see this causing a problem. The filter is designed to get wet and be okay, but not to necissarily get sprayed with water and be okay. The BOV just adds to it.

That being said, if you care about the looks of your car, and or want to play it safe for the supercharger setup, I would just hand wash it even if you know that it would probably be fine if it went through an automatic car wash that didn't spray it from underneath.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CALL911
I think that if your car was off (and not sucking in air), and that there was absolutely no water spraying from underneath the car, (like in a touchless carwash), that you should be fine.

Most guys with prochargers have air filters down low though, so if the car is running, and the air filter is sitting right down underneath the car when it gets sprayed, I can see this causing a problem. The filter is designed to get wet and be okay, but not to necissarily get sprayed with water and be okay. The BOV just adds to it.

That being said, if you care about the looks of your car, and or want to play it safe for the supercharger setup, I would just hand wash it even if you know that it would probably be fine if it went through an automatic car wash that didn't spray it from underneath.
Kinda what I figured...I just didn't know if there was a secret "design feature" that would prevent the water intake.
I'll definitely stick to handwashing then! Knowing my luck, it'd be the one time I didn't pay for the underbody wash that I'd get it for free!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N has socks that go over the filter to prevent water from going through but still allow air..
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

It will be fine but stick to hand washing.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

I think really the only dangerous part of it would be the air filter and the BOV. So if you can cover both of those, I can't think of anything else that could be affected negatively.

But again, if you care about the body, just save yourself the hassle of covering the FI items and hand wash it.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As mentioned you willl be better off washing your own car cuz no one knows it more than you.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Definitely sticking to handwashing from now on....but I do LOVE the undercarriage wash aspect of an automatic! It's kept my underside looking relatively new for the past 13 years! I can give it up for my Procharger, though!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

I put a bag over mine when i was pressure washing it. if im just hand washing it I figure its dry by the time the car is dry.

Quick Reply: Carwash Issues?