Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stainless Procharger J Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Procharger J Bracket

Ok, so...I'm a master machinist by trade, and I have all the respect in the world for the Procharger headunit's quality and engineering.

BUT...The same cannot be said about their crappy aluminum J-Bracket!

So....I'm considering making a run of perfectly fitting "facsimile" J-Brackets, out of Billet 303 Stainless Steel to put up on here to sell.
The reason I say "facsimile" is because there will be a few thousandths difference between theirs and mine - and mine will be superior in parallelism and location tolerances. I also plan to put in a metric, or fine pitch standard thread for the tensioner bolt to prevent stripping.

I'm just getting a feeler for the market on here, so no obligations, and I'm not taking orders yet...but, IF I did make these, how many of you would be interested in one if it were priced at around $200, shipped anywhere in the lower 48?
Or, $350 - complete with your choice of a 6 or 8 rib idler and all stainless hardware?

303 Stainless Steel Material Notes:
*303 Stainless WILL NOT rust!
*303 Stainless has far superior strength compared to aluminum.
*Aside from popular belief, it will be slightly weaker than a carbon steel bracket, such as the one made by "Trutech".

And finally....yes, I am aware of the "Aster" bracket. And NO, I will not make one like his design. In regards to belt-slippage issues, his is about as good as one could hope for (and the $750 price tag certainly reflects it). I'm simply looking to make a better, AND cheaper alternative to the standard J-Bracket.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i will not buy one sorry , i have an sdce setup and it has a brace at the bottom of it . But its not worth the extra weight and cost for me .

Just wanted to give you an answer .
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ramairetransam kind of hit the nail on the head. If you're going to upgrade the j-bracket, you might as well address the biggest issue which is belt slippage. I'm not sure how much of an issue flex is with the aluminum j-bracket. I know Aster made his bracket thicker to address any possible issues.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with these 2 guys ^^^

I also have the SDCE so if I'm upgrading the J bracket it better be superior to what I have. Belt slip is the biggest problems with prochargers so I would recomend adding some kind of tensioner to your stainless design.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I solved my flex issue by making this bracket.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jjcamaro02
I solved my flex issue by making this bracket.
Yes, I admire your ingenuity on that brace! I saw it the first day I searched for J-Brackets. VERY nice job!

The point of my stainless J-Bracket would be a cheaper, yet superior alternative to buying a new aluminum one for $260. It would be a "mid-point" option for flex prevention, and wouldn't be appealing to those of you who already have the braces, asters, and so forth.

The two main reasons the aluminum one causes slippage are:
1. Lateral Flex- (The aluminum being low yield strength, combined with the fact that by design-all of the torsional leverage being is being put on the thinnest, weakest point - the "hook" arm.)
2. Belt Wrap/Surface Contact/Friction Slip- Just a linear screw pushing a single idler pulley down isn't enough...this issue is handled magnificently by the aster.

I may consider adding a 2nd idler to help with both issues...Stainess bracket for rigidity to prevent flex, and the 2nd idler - cantilevered on the belt to help with friction slippage.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If i were you id make it a carbon copy , don't make it thinner or thicker. It will cause problems down the road when someone resells it thinking its a trutech or procharger one. Keep it the same then the same standoffs can be used and keep it as simple as possible.

Also can you weight each one and let us know when you done with it the difference in weight between them .
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since your a machinist you could do some stainless stand off nuts with this added idler pulley.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rap-fbody.html
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
If i were you id make it a carbon copy , don't make it thinner or thicker. It will cause problems down the road when someone resells it thinking its a trutech or procharger one. Keep it the same then the same standoffs can be used and keep it as simple as possible.

Also can you weight each one and let us know when you done with it the difference in weight between them .
Absolutely...It will be the same thickness within a few thousandths - nothing that will make any difference in mounting and alignment. Even though making it thicker would help with flex, I definitely want to maintain interchangeability. The extra rigidity will come from the strength of the material itself.

I can do ya one better and tell you before I make it...
303 Stainless Weight differences: Multiply Aluminum x 2.96
Multiply Carbon Steel x 1.02

Originally Posted by conan
Since your a machinist you could do some stainless stand off nuts with this added idler pulley.
Yes, if I do this, the "complete" kit with hardware will have matching stainless standoffs. Although, I'll probably make them round with wrench flats instead of hex stock...it'll take a little more time to make them that way, but they'll be stronger - with more surface area contact on the faces, too.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Bump It!

Quick Reply: Stainless Procharger J Bracket