Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fender exit exhaust for street car. Fumes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

I just double checked the code and procedure sections of the manual and neither states anything about behind the passengers compartment. And I'm a stickler with the laws. I don't want a felony on my record over a bad inspection.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Not any louder than a cammed ls1. Turbo quiet it down a lot. Mine has a deep tone. It 5" down to 4" and pipe made oval shaped coming out.
X2 on that, I've heard them significantly louder coming all the way back through the tail pipes that some fender exit cars.

I added a muffler to help a bit, or at least what was left of a muffler we had to cut down to fit. and left it 5" all the way through.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe a big single quiets things down a lot more than twins becuase my **** is retarded loud with dumps.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the can comes into play a lot in the sound level and fumes.
A stock gm cam w a big single may not be crazy loud or smog smoke like a 90s ford f150
I've heard bolt on mustangs and cat back exhaust trucks that sound like 8 sec cars. And fender exit turbo cars nowhere near as loud.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm really on the fence of simplicity sake and fender exhaust or do a cutout and hookup a fully exhaust. I still like the look of 4" tips out back
Old 02-15-2020, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
I'm really on the fence of simplicity sake and fender exhaust or do a cutout and hookup a fully exhaust. I still like the look of 4" tips out back
full exhaust with a cutout. I have a cammed 5.3 and a 78/75 billet with single 3” DP, 7ft to the electric cutout then 10ft of 3” mandrel with a 3” Borla pro XS muffler and a 3” tail pipe. My cutout is under the pass seat and angles down and out, with it open it sounds great but is loud, especially at lower speeds <40mph and with any kind of stall it’s pretty loud around town. Close the cutout and the full exhaust is nice, much quieter and stealthier plus you can hear tunes and generally not get into a trouble but you loose some power. With no changes through a full exhaust with a 12psi bench tested spring I make 6.5lbs, flick the EC switch it jumps to 8.5psi with no changes so I was loosing 2psi through the full exhaust. Also no spool noises with the cutout closed, open the EC and it whistles like a MFER! It also pulls a lot harder obviously.

point being if I had a fender dump I would get sick of the noise around town, plus attracting popo big time. I close it when I want to and open it when I want to get rowdy. It’s still fun to have the EBC crank boost up to 11.5psi on setting 1 through the full exhaust, quiet but fast. Basically I like having the option of how I want the car to be while driving it at any given moment. It’s prob more work in the beginning but pay once cry once is the way to look at it. Better than having to redo it in short time bc you couldn’t think ahead.
The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Back from the dead! I have been thinking about this lately. Going to be hard to route a 4-inch pipe with my set up. I wanted to make a full 4-inch system out the back, but not sure I can. Might opt for fender or HOOD exit
Old 02-17-2020, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
Back from the dead! I have been thinking about this lately. Going to be hard to route a 4-inch pipe with my set up. I wanted to make a full 4-inch system out the back, but not sure I can. Might opt for fender or HOOD exit
my car is open downpipes now. Exits under the dash, so pretty much right after firewall towards rear of car... I can’t drive it around like that. Wouldn’t get pulled over except for the occasional backfire when decelerating. Just don’t like it.

my buddy just got a single turbo 5.3 with full exhaust. What a difference. Power aside, it’s so much better to drive in. Can actually open the hood with motor running and gear injectors clicking etc. I thought about running bigger turbos later on and only having room for side fender exits but I won’t do that now.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 703 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Z32_5.3
my car is open downpipes now. Exits under the dash, so pretty much right after firewall towards rear of car... I can’t drive it around like that. Wouldn’t get pulled over except for the occasional backfire when decelerating. Just don’t like it.

my buddy just got a single turbo 5.3 with full exhaust. What a difference. Power aside, it’s so much better to drive in. Can actually open the hood with motor running and gear injectors clicking etc. I thought about running bigger turbos later on and only having room for side fender exits but I won’t do that now.
It's worse for you because its dumping under the car. My bumper exit was way quieter than my full exhaust H/C/I setup. Once I shifted into 6th on the highway it was dead quiet.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
It's worse for you because its dumping under the car. My bumper exit was way quieter than my full exhaust H/C/I setup. Once I shifted into 6th on the highway it was dead quiet.
yeah it’s right at my feet and facing ground. Prob worst example of open downpipes lol
Old 02-19-2020, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Full exhaust w/ cutout ftw.
Single 3" out the back for quiet cruising, 3" dump behind the front tire for letting the mullet down party time.
customblackbird (02-19-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't be f*cking lazy (won't fab) and/or stupid (Corona virus bad, willingly breathes uncatalyzed exhaust fumes) - make the effort.

4" front to back.

eddierm250 (06-20-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm lazy and stupid - I went out of the fender. It's way less obnoxious than I expected. It attracts attention at idle but is mellow at cruise. It's quieter in the car than it was with full exhaust before. Fumes haven't been an issue, so far it has been better than having the exhaust dumped at the axle with the previous setup.
j88l98irocz (02-15-2022)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone who says dumps aren’t loud is not telling the full truth. Sound and loudness is subjective and thus wats loud to one person might not be to another. I can tell you that with even a turbo as a built in muffler they are not quiet and I’ve had really loud cars in the past. A turbo dump is quieter than an NA dump but for the most part they can and will be normally too loud for most of the population. Fender dumps are less loud bc they project the sound outward away from the vehicle which makes the owner think the fender dump is more quiet than it really is but the person observing from the side is not going to feel the same way. Also consider the fumes pushing toward the vehicle on the pass side. Fender dump loudness will also reveal itself when driving past a concrete divider or wall on the shoulder or in an overpass or bridge. Also the human ear will adjust to the loudness so it becomes less loud quickly after start.

moat people who post videos don’t post the difference in sound level with a cutout vs a full exhaust and the sound reduction is drastic, also audio on phones etc aren’t capable of picking up the loudness or general tone of loud things in there entirety.

I did a test on my car with the cutout opened and closed as I tested different mufflers on my firebird looking for a good median of loudness and tone through a full exhaust. I tested like 5 mufflers before deciding on a Borla pro XS 14” case single 3” muffler. The Borla quieted things down a lot being only a offset 3” muffler and 14” case but it’s a straight through SS design so I actually picked up alittle power over a stock style (3” inlet and dual 2.5”’outlet) high flow dynomax ultraflow. My guess is due to the single path of less restriction compared to the dynomax with 2.5 exits on opposite sides.

here you can hear the difference at the same time between the 2 with the cutout open and closed. Again my phone doesn’t capture the loudness of the cutout at all. I actually prefer to drive through the full exhaust 80% of the time and only open the cutout when I really want turbo whistle and a noticeable bump in power to get rowdy.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

fumes? only when i run stank *** gasoline. thats one of the best parts of e85 IMO

bumper dumped, **** the police
jayyyw (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug
fumes? only when i run stank *** gasoline. thats one of the best parts of e85 IMO

not offered near me. But I prefer the 30% better efficiency/btu Of Dyno fuel. E85 is rough on lots of stuff and has a short shelf life! If it works for u then that’s cool, but I could get flavor adder for pump gas too.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'm sorry to hear that. e85 is a god damn blessing for turbo enthusiasts
rel3rd (03-05-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug

easy!!! We may have some members here that are cops that like to go fast too! Oh by the way can you tell me a date, time and location you may be participating in illegal street racing? Asking for a friend
Old 02-23-2020, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

fair enough. however i'm on my, like, 6th strike about political stuff on this forum and I do find it useful so while I have my opinions on the current state of law enforcement in the country i'll share them elsewhere so I can remain a member here. I'll PM you my email if you'd like to argue about a few bad apples spoiling the bunch so to speak.

and I do not engage in street racing. I dont need to, my local track is twice as shitty as any street spot
Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

There are bad apples in every bunch.... I get it.... just not fair to paint everyone with the same brush

I also don’t do the street scene obviously bc of my profession hence the comment lol

Quick Reply: Fender exit exhaust for street car. Fumes?