Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ARE express.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default ARE express.

you may recall a post where nick asked about how my engine was doing, and offered to refresh it. well the blow by was getting worse and oil consumption was never appropriate so i took him up on it.

the problem was time, i have a show to be at this friday the 30th at the beach so i had to decide whether to do it now or later, nick still said we could do it in time if i bought it to him to skip the slow shipping. with that i yanked the engine and hauled it up to them this past weekend. (rice etr, jarrod spit the driving duty).
11 hours each way. nick had the guys stay and work saturday just for my engine to get done which was just awesome

turns out my block had a crack in the sleeve, and that same piston (7) had some f'd up ringlands. the rest of the engine had wear comparable to paul morris (warbirds) engine which was still up there. the wear jived with the leakdown results that george at turbotech got before the new system was installed.

since the block could not be reused without new sleeves, and not having time for that, they outfitted me with a brand new z06 block, new bearings, reused my lunati rods and cam, replaced all the pistons and rings, new oil pump, rebuilt my heads and threw in a set of main studs on the house... all it cost me was a trip and back to canada but it was WELL worth it.

been busting *** since then and finally the engine fired up today and it runs just perfect.. After gettin home i put the same type cometic 3.910 mls head gaskets as i used before to 80# and this time sprayed some of that copper stuff on them i had heard here and there about a couple hundred miles to seat the new rings and i'm sure it will put down 650 on pump with the same boost level..

i'm soo happy with ARE for their efforts, it made up for the down moments in the past and i look forward to the 'built' engine i will be working with them on for next season
Old 04-28-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, very nice

kinda like the commercials "spend a little more now or a lot later"

I know one shop that gets an A+ in my book after reading this post.

Ryan
Old 04-28-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

WOW awsome customer service by ARE
Old 04-28-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

It was great meeting you on the weekend. Jarrod looked real tired , I'm glad I took a run down to the shop to meet you finally, just wish you had of brought the whole car not just the motor.

It's good to hear the boys at ARE stuck around to build up the motor and even add some new trick parts. My new motor will be ready soon now I just have to wait for the turbo to arrive .

You ran a 10.77 on a hurt motor and now I'm really looking forward to see what a well built healthy turbo/motor combo will do for you
Old 04-28-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds good..... how long you think its going to take you to put on the couple hundred miles so you can check her again on the dyno??
Kyle
Old 04-28-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice!! Excellent service by Nick and the guys at ARE!!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

chris, was hopig you'd drop in havent seen you since capitol with efa in like 2000. i guess i shoula given notice, but it was kinda a drop everything and go deal.

nasty, the miles will be on the car by monday, will be looking to get back into my weekly beating thereafter.

i trapped 131.25 on pump gas before so that is the new goal to break at 11psi with this block.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Very nice ... great stand up service.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didnt know you were coming up, I would have met you guys for lunch/dinner

I might be heading down your way this summer. (Probably be staying in Fredneck with Jeff Gilbert and his wife Iris) We'll have to get the EFA guys together for some racing!

I am really glad everything worked out well for you man, that is great news.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Turbo Addict

he he, yea so Paul you noticed ...i couldn't even complete a full sentence i was so tired... I slept all freaken day sunday. Damn that was alot of time on the road without sleep... plus i was a bit hungover.

It was nice meeting everyone, always good to put faces with names. I tell you the guys at ARE have their stuff together. It takes a hell of a crew to stay there til almost midnight on a friday night and til 8pm on saturday.. that's customer service! They did everything they could to put the best of what they had into dave's engine.
I don't need an engine now.... well i hope not ... but when i do, i know where i am going

Oh... met some nice girls at the Lone Star, i need another reason to come up there.. they were fun
Old 04-28-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Jarrod, If you decide to take the route we talked about you'll have to come up again :
Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Nice to to see ARE is under new reign,and really stepping up to turn things around from the horribly unfurtunate dealings others have had in the past.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

i agree, and encourage anyone who has felt on the 'short end' so to speak to give them a call in the next few months to talk things over. nick is anxious to help.

p.s. you have 'kept' spelled wrong in your sig. not that i'm a spelling **** just fyi.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

LOL,yeah,dont much get missed around here
Old 04-28-2004, 10:52 PM
FormerVendor

David/Jarrod,
Nice to meet you guys and glad to hear the motor is doing good.

Dave
'Saturday Shift!'
Old 04-29-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only 11 hours from Richmond to Canada? You guys must have been haulin(and missed the springfield interchage ). It's always cool to hear when a vendor goes above and beyond.

Mike

p.s. I'm guessing this Lone Star you speak of is not just a steak house?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is some damn good customer service, looks like they are back on their game
Old 04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

actually it was just a steakhouse, but in a hooters kinda way.

we cut through 219 to miss some longer stuff apparently.. i was only paying attention one turn at a time.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear your engine was done right the second time around Dave.. and for no cost is even better. You might have a chance racing me now m6 boy.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh boy feeling confident are we? best of luck with your combo, ill buy you a beer if you manage to get it over 130.

actually the engine was done right the first time around too.. just apparently not the best choice in piston.. the rest of the damage they couldnt help.. but thats all behind me now, this engine will have smooth sailing till the crank comes out.. one way or the other.

Quick Reply: ARE express.