Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water/meth injection required?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/meth injection required?

My IATs are around 95F on a hot day which I think is resonable, about a 10F rise. But due to the humidity, we all know that the less dense air kills performance. I was thinking about installing an injection kit and would like to know what the trend is? I am still under 9psi but I would think that lower IATs and better volumetric efficiency would help under all conditions?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What fuel are you one? Intercooled? Tons of other variables.

I'm on E85 non intercooled. My IATs are about 190* as I hit the 1/4 traps. That was spraying a 50/50 mix. Next time out I'm spraying a 3rd nozzle and straight meth. I say if you're worried, spray it. It's not too expensive, and if it'll make you more comfortable at WOT, go for it.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

95F damn that is great, i dont worry till i am over 150 on a long pull
Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt bother at 95*

I spray straight washer fluid but Im also non IC seeing 210* on 93 octane. Gonna find me some of that E85 before I head back to the track.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed^ Not really nesessary. I wont hurt to run meth either, but youll be fine for now.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CameronVic
What fuel are you one? Intercooled? Tons of other variables.

I'm on E85 non intercooled. My IATs are about 190* as I hit the 1/4 traps. That was spraying a 50/50 mix. Next time out I'm spraying a 3rd nozzle and straight meth. I say if you're worried, spray it. It's not too expensive, and if it'll make you more comfortable at WOT, go for it.
Ok, I'm running 91 and twin 4.5 ICs. Not running at the track but really notice the power loss with heat and humidity, I know this is normal for FI. Was thinking of water/meth as a compliment to the system under normal driving and of course WOT. I know the IAT sensor has a lot of authority so I am sure its pulling timing?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I really doubt the tune is pulling timing below 100*. Spray some blue washer fluid at it, I'll bet it won't feel as sluggish in the warmer weather. And it'll make it that much safer.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CameronVic
I really doubt the tune is pulling timing below 100*. Spray some blue washer fluid at it, I'll bet it won't feel as sluggish in the warmer weather. And it'll make it that much safer.
Not sure about the blue washer fluid? I buy methanol and mix it 50/50 with demineralized water, this is the only intercooling I have for my 4.3 supercharged Jimmy. As for the T/A, I agree that it wouldn't hurt to get some latent heat transfer going on and improve density as well! What system do most use for the F-body? Not much space!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lots of people run alcohol injection's system or alky control's water meth system.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Alcohol injection systems here with 3 gallon trunk mounted cell.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
Ok, I'm running 91 and twin 4.5 ICs. Not running at the track but really notice the power loss with heat and humidity, I know this is normal for FI. Was thinking of water/meth as a compliment to the system under normal driving and of course WOT. I know the IAT sensor has a lot of authority so I am sure its pulling timing?
under normal driving the kits don't come into play as they're boost referenced/activated. i haven't been able to log my IAT's at all but i added the kit anyway for the same reason and am now contemplating doing away with the cold side completely with it. i'm sure that would have a couple benefits, such as dropping around 20#'s and decreasing the little spool time i have, but on my kit, it will also allow me to put an air filter on it (i'm redoing my cold side to do this anyway, just thinking out loud about not running an IC). but i would definitely want to log my IAT if i did that.

also as said, your timing really shouldn't be effected much, if at all with 95* IAT's, unless that's only what you're seeing at cruising vs WOT pulls?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

More of the same. If your are seeing IAT's under 100, I honestly think meth injection would be a waste of your money. You shouldn't see any gains at all with that.

Now, if you plan on upping the boost, and or timing in any significant amount, then I would say you should re-visit the idea, but until then I would leave it as is.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about the blue washer fluid? I buy methanol and mix it 50/50 with demineralized water, this is the only intercooling I have for my 4.3 supercharged Jimmy. As for the T/A, I agree that it wouldn't hurt to get some latent heat transfer going on and improve density as well! What system do most use for the F-body? Not much space!
I run Snow system with blue washer fluid in my windshield washer reservoir. Would do it again too on my 72 build.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Launching!

OK, that's good to know! I should clarify that my IATs are at part throttle and around 4,000, I am logging real time so I really need a copilot! Still tho, FI really suffers with heat and humidity and the IAT sensor would have to see that and pull timing, it plays a big part on LS1s. What systems are you guy's running? I see Snow system, I have a Cooling Mist on my truck. I am thinking boost will end up around 9 with the 3" pulley I have on the SC now, depending on where the limiter is set. I am currently tripping at 5,700 to keep it safe untill I can get some decent logs.

Last edited by 2002 T/A; 07-14-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

I am running a snow performance kit. It has worked great for me and the customer service from them is excellent. I know a lot of guys go with Alky Control, but I did not find Julio's customer service to be that good. I will say that Alky Controls kit is also top notch though.

There are others that are used such as Devils Own and others but Alky Control and Snow Performance are the two most popular.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CALL911
I am running a snow performance kit. It has worked great for me and the customer service from them is excellent. I know a lot of guys go with Alky Control, but I did not find Julio's customer service to be that good. I will say that Alky Controls kit is also top notch though.

There are others that are used such as Devils Own and others but Alky Control and Snow Performance are the two most popular.
Right on and thanks! How about the resevoir and pump, room under the hood?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Had no room for my setup so here's an idea........

Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Right on and thanks! How about the resevoir and pump, room under the hood?
I plumbed the windsheild washer tank and just used that for the meth resevoir. I even plumbed a sensor near the bottom to tell me when the meth level is near empty.

It took me a little while to do this thinking I would need the windshield washer tank, but after I realized I still had the original washer fluid in it, I decided I didn't use it enough and it was an ideal place for the meth.

There was plenty of room for the pump as well.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
I plumbed the windsheild washer tank and just used that for the meth resevoir. I even plumbed a sensor near the bottom to tell me when the meth level is near empty.

It took me a little while to do this thinking I would need the windshield washer tank, but after I realized I still had the original washer fluid in it, I decided I didn't use it enough and it was an ideal place for the meth.

There was plenty of room for the pump as well.
Definitely would've done that as well (esp with my wipers removed) if i could've. Love the simplicity of it and the stock fitment of course but my setup is a bit too modified for that unfortunately.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks very nice^

Quick Reply: Water/meth injection required?