Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Expansion tank question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expansion tank question

Gday guys, i have question regarding plumbing on the custom pressurised expansion tank that ive fitted to my ls1 turbo.
Ive seen the thread on this forum with 3 diagrams, which one is best.
Currently i have both heater outlets going to the botom of the tank, i have 1 hose going from the top of the radiator to the bottom of the tank, i have the steam ports all tee pieced ino onr hose going to the top of the tank, and i have the hose directly under the cap that goes to the overflow bottle.

My problem is, ive just fitted this tank, im assuming the steam ports are self bleeding, but im noticing that the temp was good for an hour, and then rising the next hour weather standing or driving.
I can assume tht i havnt plumbed something right, please help.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Draw a diagram of how you've done it, it will be easier.

But IMO the vent from the top of the radiator should go to the top of the bottle as well as the steam ports/vents. Minor issue though, it would probably still work where you have it.
They basically just purge any air from both the heads and radiator.

Detail what you mean by both heater outlets though, as that could be a problem.

Generally you would only ever connect one hose into such a bottle. This would be a fill point for water to go back into the cooling system, either via the bottom hose, or via the barbed fitting on the water pump closest to the thermostat.

I guess you could run the appropriate heater hose into the bottom of the bottle, and then into the water pump though, so passing through the bottle.

Quick Reply: Expansion tank question