Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who has relocated radiator to the rear??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Who has relocated radiator to the rear??

Anyone have any input or ideas on relocating radiator to the rear of an fbody? Seems like a decent idea for good cooling and keeping cooling system out of engine bay heat. I have single front mount and bumper exit exhaust and it crossed my mind during the build to put it in the rear and do an electric water pump since then the radiator would be away from all heat. Especially with no exhaust back there.

May be a dumb idea or maybe someone has done it and has pictures?

Just like to share ideas and maybe get a new info thread started on a odd idea.

So what's some thoughts? I may try this one day.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a Camaro on here that has done it. Maybe he will chime in. I personally think its a lot of unnecessary work. What kind of turbo are you running that you can't have a radiator up front?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
There is a Camaro on here that has done it. Maybe he will chime in. I personally think its a lot of unnecessary work. What kind of turbo are you running that you can't have a radiator up front?
I'm in no need of this now. But it would free up space for a way cleaner look. I'm just throwing the idea out there. I just have a s475 setup now. Build thread on first page of threads list here but doesn't appear in SIG posting front mobile. I'd like to think you could put it in where t top storage area is. Just cut it out and fab sheet metal around setup... always looking for new ideas that actually help people and myself.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nifty Idea, of course you will get the, "why?" and "it'll never work" and the "why waste your time, do it like everyone else" comments.

If you go for it, let us know how it works out.

You'll find on bullet more people have done this. I can think of a TTbbc vette that is doing it. He hasnt got his running yet, but it is very close.

Make sure to size your hose properly.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAX04
Nifty Idea, of course you will get the, "why?" and "it'll never work" and the "why waste your time, do it like everyone else" comments.

You'll find on bullet more people have done this. I can think of a TTbbc vette that is doing it. He hasnt got his running yet, but it is very close.

Size hose properly? Meaning not to big where it won't push the water or not to small either.?

Figured I could make a small air dam to catch a little air up to it but probably wouldn't even need it being that far away from the heat.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite a bit of info over on YB about it. I really considered doing it on my mustang, but with as much as I drive the car I didn't want to chance it not running cool enough so didn't. Plus all the extra weight you add to the car running lines to the back, I decided to just add weight to the back to offset my 31x19 radiator up front.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04

Can you post a link? Would be very intrested in seeing it or any other rear mounted rad setups!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not an f-body but I know of a local twin turbo s-10 that put the radiator in the bed with 2 spal fans. I knew why they were there but you had some guys looking at the truck with that confused and dumb look. Most people can't think outside the box, luckily it seems like you can. If you do it make sure you post up a thread.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Not an f-body but I know of a local twin turbo s-10 that put the radiator in the bed with 2 spal fans. I knew why they were there but you had some guys looking at the truck with that confused and dumb look. Most people can't think outside the box, luckily it seems like you can. If you do it make sure you post up a thread.
My buddy did the same thing in his jacked up Chevy mud truck. He didnt want the radiator or trans cooler getting all jacked up from off roading. Worked out well.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
My buddy did the same thing in his jacked up Chevy mud truck. He didnt want the radiator or trans cooler getting all jacked up from off roading. Worked out well.
How cool did it run? Mud truck would be the ultimate test cause no real air flow from highway speed would be in that application.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ideas on water pump placement, hose sizes, fans, all welcome here. Pictures if ya got any!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Have any pics of the S10? Twin turbo blow through SBC?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
How cool did it run? Mud truck would be the ultimate test cause no real air flow from highway speed would be in that application.
From what I have seen so far it has been good. Its a common practice in that type of truck to do that. Dont forget that the radiator is still outside in the open air and not sealed inside the cabin.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Have any pics of the S10? Twin turbo blow through SBC?
No, it was EFI. It was a tuned port engine believe it or not. Ran very low 10's when he first came out with it. He put in a custom cam and heads and it went way faster but I never found out how much faster. He ended up building an aftermarket block 427 for it and I don't know if he ever got it in the truck.

He's a sponsor on here, CBR performance. He made the all bolt on keeps A/C twin turbo kit for f-bodies.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
From what I have seen so far it has been good. Its a common practice in that type of truck to do that. Dont forget that the radiator is still outside in the open air and not sealed inside the cabin.
I was thinking maybe trim out all area where t tops go and tuck it up in there at a slant. Kinda like the factory fuel tank is just vertical instead of horizontal like the tank. Cut the area out where it will recess up in there then fab some type of sheet metal top to separate it from the interior of the car. Make small air dam to throw air up into it from the road. Hard to explain my thoughts but at least I see my point lol lol
Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got to Nelson Racing web site and check out MadMax! Its an Avalanche with the radiator in the back. Lol. Kick *** truck!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
I was thinking maybe trim out all area where t tops go and tuck it up in there at a slant. Kinda like the factory fuel tank is just vertical instead of horizontal like the tank. Cut the area out where it will recess up in there then fab some type of sheet metal top to separate it from the interior of the car. Make small air dam to throw air up into it from the road. Hard to explain my thoughts but at least I see my point lol lol
I think you should do it and then post up your results. Would be a game changer for lots of FI f-body guys. Go for it man!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any suggestions on what inline water pump to use? Something with affordability in mind. Or what size coolant lines to use to run that far?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago my mom had a 87 Fiero GT, Engine was in the rear and radiator was up front. It didn't have a inline water pump in fact the 2.8L V6 had the same water pump you could find on any 3rd gen 2.8 or 3.4 liter. Lines were 1" from front to back. I would say attempt it without or test the flow of the exiting pump by grabbing some 1" PVC cut two pieces approx 8 ft long attach them to the radiator hose and run them to a 5 gallon bucket of water. Start the car and see how much flow you get with the factor belt driven pump pretty sure it will be more than sufficient.

The cool thing is it would increase the capacity of the cooling system about 2-3 gallons helping bring down temps further. Each Gallon of water weighs 8 pounds so you would probably add 35 pounds of weight doing this the majority being to the rear of the front wheels which would help with distribution.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

this guy is on the 9s with rad mounted on rear ..
theres a couple of pics in the thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/single-di...per-video.html

Quick Reply: Who has relocated radiator to the rear??