Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI C5 Corvettes - How much torque will the driveshaft take?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FI C5 Corvettes - How much torque will the driveshaft take?

Specifically a 1997. 10mm bolts and feels as thin as a soda can . What kind of power will these stock driveshafts handle? Custom shafts are expensive, or cheap insureance I suppose.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Specifically a 1997. 10mm bolts and feels as thin as a soda can . What kind of power will these stock driveshafts handle? Custom shafts are expensive, or cheap insureance I suppose.
I think about 550 - 600, but all kinds of things start to break at that power level so the real question is "what will fail first"

I have a TT Z06 that puts down 800 at the tire. but it's been converted over to an automatic, has the 12 mm torq tube, and I typicall run the car at 12 psi which is 600 at the tire

on street tires it will last a long time as the driveshaft will live because the tires won't hook

put slicks or drag radials on it and the couplers, torq tube or drive shaft or rear axles are a liability

alot of the vette guys run a weak rear axle as it's the "fuse" in the drivetrain and easier to fix.

I've got about 30k miles on my car now, and 20k with the turbo, but they are all street miles on Toyo RA1s and I don't hammer the car off the line

what 60 ft time are you targeting?

how much RWTorq?

stick or automatic?

what tires are you running?

how many rpms do you leave at?

that will help figure out how long the driveshaft will live
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 AM
11 Second Club

I obliterated my TT on my 98 at 650hp. Don't no lift shift at full boost......
Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've made 670 hp and 623 tq for 2 years now and no issues.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I broke my couplers or bolts in my hci c6Z
Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rkreigh
I think about 550 - 600, but all kinds of things start to break at that power level so the real question is "what will fail first"

I have a TT Z06 that puts down 800 at the tire. but it's been converted over to an automatic, has the 12 mm torq tube, and I typicall run the car at 12 psi which is 600 at the tire

on street tires it will last a long time as the driveshaft will live because the tires won't hook

put slicks or drag radials on it and the couplers, torq tube or drive shaft or rear axles are a liability

alot of the vette guys run a weak rear axle as it's the "fuse" in the drivetrain and easier to fix.

I've got about 30k miles on my car now, and 20k with the turbo, but they are all street miles on Toyo RA1s and I don't hammer the car off the line

what 60 ft time are you targeting?

how much RWTorq?

stick or automatic?

what tires are you running?

how many rpms do you leave at?

that will help figure out how long the driveshaft will live
Car has a bit to go before its up and running. It is a twin turbo with a very much built 4L60E. Yank 3800. Rear has 4:10 and the 300M axles. Michelin 335 30 20 Pilots. Im sure the tire will just fry. I supect the motor to be street tuned around 800. I have no intention of racing or breaking the car. I was thinking about wrapping the driveshaft in carbon fiber tow, building it up about 1/8" . My machine shop just does not make the money we did a few years ago. A $800 Driveshaft is a lot of dough nowadays. Sounds like a maybe it will hold, maybe not.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm guessing the auto will help a bit.
We made 700 rwtq on V-Series tech's C5 and abused it like that through a T56 for quite a while. He eventually busted the rubber couplers. They are now replaced with Billet couplers, and will be seeing quite a bit more power in the future
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C6 makes 724 rwhp / 866 rwt . I have broken a 300m shaft in the diff and twisted a shaft in the tranny, but never had an issue with the driveshaft or axles. They seem to be pretty tough, although I never know whats next !!!

Twisted trans intermediate shaft...

Broken 300m diff shaft....

Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Realcanuk;17587162]My C6 makes 724 rwhp / 866 rwt . I have broken a 300m shaft in the diff and twisted a shaft in the tranny, but never had an issue with the driveshaft or axles. They seem to be pretty tough, although I never know whats next !!!

Holy Crapoly!!!! Broke the 300M shaft!
97', first year is what I have. I think in 99 they made the driveshaft a bit thicker. Year or two after that they incresed the bolts from 10mm to 12mm. Im sure that the C6 is more of an improvement. Will a C6 auto driveshaft fit a C5?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=Lasershop;17588591]
Originally Posted by Realcanuk
My C6 makes 724 rwhp / 866 rwt . I have broken a 300m shaft in the diff and twisted a shaft in the tranny, but never had an issue with the driveshaft or axles. They seem to be pretty tough, although I never know whats next !!!

Holy Crapoly!!!! Broke the 300M shaft!
97', first year is what I have. I think in 99 they made the driveshaft a bit thicker. Year or two after that they incresed the bolts from 10mm to 12mm. Im sure that the C6 is more of an improvement. Will a C6 auto driveshaft fit a C5?
I doubt it will fit but don't know for sure. Call RPM transmissions. They know their stuff.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by rkreigh

I have read, by RPM and RKT that none of the A4 driveshafts used the 12mm couplers.
So my question is, are you sure thats what you have? Did you see it apart?

For the OP. The later A4, 2001 and up, use the larger dia driveshaft. GM changed for some reason, maybe just so they didn't have to make 2 completely different sizes? I dunno.
So for just the shaft portion, that would be an option for you. They are pretty cheap used. I paid $200 for mine. Of course I threw it in w/o checking the couplers, and they are bad.....so take it all appart to replace. NOT a fun job on a C5 in a 1 car garage...........

The Drive Shaft Shop couplers are supposedly bullet proof and are still rubber.

The bolt size is an issue for me. I need to call RPM and get the stuff ordered and see what they say about that. I'm no where near your power level, so I'm not concerned about busting mine.

Ron
Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Just got off the phone with JEREMY at RPM. All A4 TT used the 10mm couplers. The later ones do have a beefier driveshaft.
I didn't ask about power level.

Very good service by the way!

My rebuild kit is on the way.

Ron
Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Just got off the phone with JEREMY at RPM. All A4 TT used the 10mm couplers. The later ones do have a beefier driveshaft.
I didn't ask about power level.

Very good service by the way!

My rebuild kit is on the way.

Ron
Those guys know their stuff!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

not really sure, rodney said he put a 12 mm torq tube in the car.

we did a drivetrain swap over from the RPM T56 so I think it's the torq tube bolts not the driveshaft

but for sure the auto helps it hold up better by not shocking the drivetrain as hard.

I don't get nearly as much wheel hop either as the power delivery is smoother

turbos are loaded and spool better, and once your turbos are on the boil, why would you take the foot off the go pedal?

now I just want a nice paddle shift setup for the auto.

probably need to change the steering wheel to do it and use a dedicated tranny ECM

anyone got any tips? time to call rodney again

Quick Reply: FI C5 Corvettes - How much torque will the driveshaft take?