Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo set up gurus please

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo set up gurus please

I'm doing a customs rear mount and I'm wanting ur advice and help on some things if u would be kind enough.

Running 799 heads on a stock ls1 bottom end full bolt ons. Fuel system is taken care of. In pushing between 400 and 450 to the wheels I would love to get upto 6-700 with a custom rear mount. How much psi can I run safely on a stock bottom end with intercooler or would I have to run meth also to reach these goals. I want to stay on premium pump gas and not run the e85

I can do all the piping myself I'm gunna completely wrap my exaust with header wrap and I heard of some kind of spray I can use also. I'm thinking 3inch all the way back and 2.5 up to the intercooler from the turbo. Please let me know if them sizes should

i was wondering what turbo size u would recommend. This is a daily driver and doesn't see any strip time or track time. All though I do race and mess around on the road more than I should. I'm gunna run an oiless turbo to save the headache of running oil lines. I would also run the quick spool valve if u thought It would help for the turbo. I plan on running the t76 turbo I believe but I'm not sure on the size of the waste gate i think 40 For the ar I was gunna go .81

I have dual exaust and love the look and wanna keep it. What's ur opinion on dumping the waste gate into one exaust side and running the turbo exaust out of the other. I have heard people lose 30hp from this. I wanna keep it for looks but not if it will hinder my performance.

I'm new to the forced induction world but what intercoolers do u recommend I heard just go eBay with em but I would like your opinion on it. I would like to stay small enough to keep my fog lights but understand completely if I can't.

I love turbos and the sound of em all of it lol. The spool up and the swoosh between shifts so anything I can do to keep these noticeable please let me know. I want the car next to me to be able to hear me spool up. I heard the triple bearing turbos are good for this. I plan on getting the megaphone bov
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

i don't consider myself a guru but i have been on these forms, this one specifically for several years so i can try to help.

I would love to get upto 6-700 with a custom rear mount. How much psi can I run safely on a stock bottom end with intercooler or would I have to run meth also to reach these goals. I want to stay on premium pump gas and not run the e85
I've heard of guys on here running anywhere from 5-10 psi on stock engines. The Meth kits will help we pre detonation and lower the flash point of the fuel. Along those lines the intercooler will help lower intake temperatures all resulting in more power. if you can, i would do both.

I can do all the piping myself I'm gunna completely wrap my exaust with header wrap and I heard of some kind of spray I can use also. I'm thinking 3inch all the way back and 2.5 up to the intercooler from the turbo. Please let me know if them sizes should
If you going to do a rearmount, you should keep the stock manifolds. They keep the heat in better, but exhaust wrap wouldn't really need to be done as the tempurature under the car wouldn't be a big issue, i wouldn't think. Plus you'd spend an arm in a leg in exhuast wrap, high temp paint, and the high temp silicone spary, (Thats what you can use to coat the wrap)

i was wondering what turbo size u would recommend. This is a daily driver and doesn't see any strip time or track time. All though I do race and mess around on the road more than I should. I'm gunna run an oiless turbo to save the headache of running oil lines. I would also run the quick spool valve if u thought It would help for the turbo. I plan on running the t76 turbo I believe but I'm not sure on the size of the waste gate i think 40 For the ar I was gunna go .81
I'm not very knowledgable in this area, in my eyes the bigger the turbo the better, lol. a lot of guys run T76 turbos here and seem to make big power out of them

I have dual exaust and love the look and wanna keep it. What's ur opinion on dumping the waste gate into one exaust side and running the turbo exaust out of the other. I have heard people lose 30hp from this. I wanna keep it for looks but not if it will hinder my performance.
When i hard my rear mount sent up i had my waste gate just vent into the atomsphere, but you can run it back into one or of your tail pipes, it'll just be more fab work to do. But i have never heard of anyone losing power doing either way, Not saying it can't happen, but i have never heard of anything like that, which doesn't mean alot

I'm new to the forced induction world but what intercoolers do u recommend I heard just go eBay with em but I would like your opinion on it. I would like to stay small enough to keep my fog lights but understand completely if I can't.
I use an Ebay intercooler, most of them i think for the money you can't beat them, unless you need something special.

I love turbos and the sound of em all of it lol. The spool up and the swoosh between shifts so anything I can do to keep these noticeable please let me know. I want the car next to me to be able to hear me spool up. I heard the triple bearing turbos are good for this. I plan on getting the megaphone bov
You'll be able to hear the turbo spool just fine. my rear mount when i had a t-60 sung like no ones business. but yeah i wouldn't worry about anyone not being able to hear you, your turbo will quiet your exhuast down quite a bit.

Now like i said i'm no guru, just trying to share the knowledge i have gained from the years on this site. Please, anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong on any of this information. not claiming i know it all or even a little bit. but i think i have a grasp on it a little bit. Hope this helps.

Last edited by GMouldy; 08-16-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

No reason you can't run 15-20psi intercooled on pump gas with methanol inj. Keep the timing down to 12ish* on a close to "stock" motor. Start off overly conservative and check the plugs.

You generally want to keep velocity up so don't use huge pipes going to the turbo. 3" is probably ok. The larger pipe you use the slower the response (time to boost) will be. Personally I think 2.75 wrapped the whole way back would be better. Easily enough for 600hp anyway. Cold side piping is fine at 2.5.

You wrap the exhaust to keep the heat in to help drive the turbo. Generally a rear mounted turbo needs a smaller exhaust wheel/turbine housing. As the exhaust travels the length of the car it cools down and looses energy that helps spin the turbo. For your goals I'd use a T4 .96AR 76/75 range turbo. Stay away from the P-trim 64-65mm exh wheels if you can.

Your twin exhaust setup with the WG dumping into one pipe is fine, you will lose zero power doing this.

Treadstone seems to have the cheapest best flowing IC's according to what I've seen on the forums. I run a $125 12x32x4 Front mount from ebay. Should work fine for your goals. Just run as big as you can fit easily.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I know about the the wrapping and headers and stock manifold so thank you. I was worried about losing spool time with .96 so that why I thought I should go .81. The loss in power I heard is from not necessarily with waste hate but running the dual exhaust after the turbo instead of a down pipe
Old 08-16-2013, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the intercooler suggestion
Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Codytaylor90
I know about the the wrapping and headers and stock manifold so thank you. I was worried about losing spool time with .96 so that why I thought I should go .81. The loss in power I heard is from not necessarily with waste hate but running the dual exhaust after the turbo instead of a down pipe
.81 is to small for a 5.3 IMO.

Any restriction you put behind the turbo will cost power. 1 short straight pipe coming from the turbo the same diameter of the turbo wheel (or larger) isn't going to cause any restriction or power loss. The WG being plumbed into the atmosphere through the other tail pipe won't cause any additional restriction. Just make sure your single tailpipe coming from the turbo is large enough.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I'd do 2" - 2.5" from the manifolds back to the turbo hot side. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...er-pipe-2.html

Last edited by Sumter; 08-16-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Already have 3inch ran but ill deff think about it thanks. I didn't know .81 was to small for a 5.3 it will be real small for a 5.7 thanks for the info. I just know that was a popular choice ill def look at the .96 then

Quick Reply: Turbo set up gurus please