Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much should i worry about my boost spikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should i worry about my boost spikes?

I'm getting a boost spike on my shifts that I can't get to clear up. I've got the boost set in at 6.5-7.5psi. I'm getting a spike up to 9.8psi going into 3rd. Still have a stock converter. Wondering if it is spiking because it is adding that much load to the engine. Here's a pic and a log. Still got it pig rich.
Attached Files
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I'm running on pump 93 only. Anyone see any issues with this spike? Just wanting a safe tune since this is my first time with boost.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

could be load combined with wastegate placement or not large enough gate for the low boost. i wouldnt worry about it personally. hard to tell from the graph but what boost does it hold steady in 3rd gear? doesnt seem to fall off much.

also looking at your timing graph appears you have not zeroed out your burst knock tables. that doesnt matter just always drove me nuts not having a steady timing and what i was commanding lol.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Teching In

What are you using for boost control?

What springs are in the gates?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Waste gate placement is not the greatest. It is placed on only one side of the crossover. Its basically a copy of how the kbracing kit for trucks. Running a 4lb spring in the gate with a manual boost controller. After the spike in 3rd it creeps back down to 8ish iirc.

Basically, I've heard people say that you need to start thinking about meth injection around 10-14psi. I'm just trying to avoid detonation and not scatter this motor. I don't know how much spikes play into the blanket statement of needing meth.

Quick Reply: How much should i worry about my boost spikes?