Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MY Real Street 275 build

Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Did you happen to get the angle? Is he using a mig or tig? I can see the plates were mig'd but it looks like some of the bars were mig'd as well which isn't allowed for chromoly.
Both. Some of the lower bars can be mig welded. The rest have to be tig welded. I'll get with Matt to get the exact information on which ones have to be mig welded and which can be tig welded, but there are some that can be mig welded.

I also believe he has used the mig welder to tack some of them in place as well along with using the tig welder to tack some in place.

I'll ask Matt about the angle.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Both. Some of the lower bars can be mig welded. The rest have to be tig welded. I'll get with Matt to get the exact information on which ones have to be mig welded and which can be tig welded, but there are some that can be mig welded.

I also believe he has used the mig welder to tack some of them in place as well along with using the tig welder to tack some in place.

I'll ask Matt about the angle.
I don't have a rule book, but I remember reading it on the bullet. I can't find where to see who it was that said it. I specifically remember someone asking about tacking the moly bars then using the tig over them. The pictures is what reminded me. I was just trying to throw some backup out there.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I envy that cage!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

Ok here is the clarification on the mig welding of joints with chromoly tubing via the NHRA.

Basically it's a technicality on mig welding the 8 floor joints. We have 3 cars in our shop right now that have mig welded the 8 floor joints and all passed NHRA inspection. If the inspector really wanted to, he could tell us that we have to redo them with tig, but I doubt it.

No chromoly joints can be mig welded, but the inspector won't say anything about mig welding to the floor. By rule you cannot mig anything.

When it comes to how the joints are welded to the floor they aren't strict. That said, all the other joints including the door bars, roof bars, a pillar bars and rocker bars must be tig welded.

He is still going to go back over all of them other than the floor joints and burn them in with the tig welder, but the floor joints will stay mig welded.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

looks good dude. Maybe one day we will run into each other at the track. I am sure you will know me before I know who you are...I roll with John and Bryan...I will be the one with all the tattoos! lol!

get that heap done and drag it out!! RPM race is tomorrow!! I am going to try and get my heap out by Blake's next race or if there is a Fall Draggin' Rights.

Ken
Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 88mmrocket
looks good dude. Maybe one day we will run into each other at the track. I am sure you will know me before I know who you are...I roll with John and Bryan...I will be the one with all the tattoos! lol!

get that heap done and drag it out!! RPM race is tomorrow!! I am going to try and get my heap out by Blake's next race or if there is a Fall Draggin' Rights.

Ken
Ken,

I'm sure we may have already crossed paths, but just didn't know it. I also have all the tattoo's in our group LOL!

We're working on it that's for sure. With all the work we have in the shop and have had, we just didn't have time to even start doing any of this. I'm just happy to have the guys I work with to lend a hand and make my dream come true with this build. It may be out by Dragging Rights in November, but we will have to see how the wiring ends up. The engine can be done in a day or two's work as the machine work has already been performed. It's the wiring that will take the longest.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Haha im tired of being wowed by this fab work but the amount of quality being put into every single detail is really awesome, its like a new sneak peak every day to the finished product, your still running a 12 bolt correct?
Yes, I will still be running a 12 bolt. Nothing fancy. Strange 12 bolt with a strange chromoly yoke(I thought it was billet), 4.10 gears, spool, 35 spline Strange axles and 1/2" ARP wheel studs.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks killer, but do u think the direct clamp to the tb will be ok and not crack with a little flex in it all?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I like the car Martin! It's going to be more funner with the turbo!
I'm going to leave the "knee pads" comment alone......

Ron
Old 08-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Car is coming together, keep up the good work.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Yes, I will still be running a 12 bolt. Nothing fancy. Strange 12 bolt with a strange chromoly yoke(I thought it was billet), 4.10 gears, spool, 35 spline Strange axles and 1/2" ARP wheel studs.

A while ago i had talked to Carl@CRP about a 12 bolt hes a great guy that really explained everything to me and was very helpful. I better decide soon which road i want to go down. 9 inch or 12 bolt. But i dont mean to get of topic haha just inquiring.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
Looks killer, but do u think the direct clamp to the tb will be ok and not crack with a little flex in it all?
I've honestly not even thought about that. I've seen so many other cars and set-ups utilize a wiggins clamp on the throttle body that it never even crossed my mind. I think it will be ok.

This guy is local to me. Car is gorgeous and he uses a wiggins on the TB.

I will ask him if he's ever had any issues with it. Car has been 4.52@160+ on 275's IIRC.
Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I like the car Martin! It's going to be more funner with the turbo!
I'm going to leave the "knee pads" comment alone......

Ron
Thanks Ron. It's a work in progress right now.

Of course you would have to bring up the knee pad comment....
Originally Posted by Pete91
Car is coming together, keep up the good work.
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

damn, that car is NASTY! Whats a wiggens clamp anyways? lol
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
A while ago i had talked to Carl@CRP about a 12 bolt hes a great guy that really explained everything to me and was very helpful. I better decide soon which road i want to go down. 9 inch or 12 bolt. But i dont mean to get of topic haha just inquiring.
With a 6 speed I would always opt for a 9".

The way the torque arm mounts to the differential, with a 12 bolt the way the ring and pinion gets loaded puts a ton of stress on the pinion and ring gear. If you look at a 9" though and how the pinion is oriented versus a 12 bolt, with the 9" the ring and pinion doesn't take near as much of a beating.

I know guys that have used 12 bolts for a long time in their 6 speed cars. My old PT76 street car was as 12 bolt M6 combo for a long time. These guys will also tell you though that they have broken their fair share of rear gears.

I would either put a S60 or a 9" in a M6 equipped car, and I'd highly favor a fabricated 9" housing for weight savings over a S60.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
damn, that car is NASTY! Whats a wiggens clamp anyways? lol
It's currently the fastest single turbo small block in the world on any size drag radial.

Here are some better pictures of a wiggins clamp. The picture of the Vibrant clamp below is the same clamp I have on my throttle body.

I guess you could call it a "fancy v-band clamp".
Old 08-24-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

moar pic turs!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with this guy^^
Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Absolutely badass and great attention to detail. I need better friends and a killer job, you deserve it though and it's nice to see this build finally coming along.

I can't wait to see it running.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Hopefully door bars and dash bar Monday...
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Reject
moar pic turs!
I know I know!
Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
I agree with this guy^^
You too? Jeez......
Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Absolutely badass and great attention to detail. I need better friends and a killer job, you deserve it though and it's nice to see this build finally coming along.

I can't wait to see it running.
Thanks! I am lucky to have the friends I do that's for sure!
Originally Posted by Tickfab
Hopefully door bars and dash bar Monday...
Hmmm....now, I wonder who this could be? Surely with that screen name it couldn't be the guy behind the scenes fabricating this beautiful cage could it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MY Real Street 275 build