Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Build help

Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build help

im in the process of boosting my 04 gto with a single front mount turbo and im new to the turbo set up. im not sure on what to do as far as new map sensor goes and would like some help if anyone is capable of answering what i need to do during the build. i have manifolds and turbo but thats about it. what else do i need to buy when it comes to getting the car to run turbos. will i even need to mess with the map sensor or will that be done on the stock sensor when the car is tuned? what kind of piping do i need to buy in order to run my midpipes and crossover pipe ect.. what oil line do i need to purchase? like i said im new to this and need help. sorry if these seem like dumb questions.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

You're going to need to go with a 2, 2.5, or 3 bar map sensor. Ultimately I would choose which MAP based on how much boost you plan on running when you will be "done" with your car.

As far as the parts... https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html. You don't really need 6.0L heads, a cam, springs, timing chain, pushrods, head bolts or oil pump to get your car done and running. With that said they can def help provide better reliability. A wide band I would say is a good investment but not necessary if you're not tuning it yourself.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is read, read, read. Look here for turbo builds and get on some gto forums and read the threads that people have made from their experiences on their builds.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Teching In

i plan on running somewhere between 10 and 15 psi. which would be best and where could i get one? i plan on doind a cam and heads swap for reliabilitys sake and to help make more power.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Well that's when you need to decide what your goals are for the car. I wouldn't set a plan to run X psi. I would set a horsepower goal and then run a turbo that can make that horsepower efficiently. Like for me I have a goal of 700-800whp when my car is "done". So I went with a TC-78. I'm now kind of wondering if I should of just spent the extra 500 bucks and got a turbonetics 7875 or something similar.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I have my goals. My goals are similar im shooting for 600 to the wheels. I have several options for turbo but haven't decided yet. I'm thinking along an 80 trim. My biggest issues is figuring out what map sensor to use and where to get one from
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What's an 80 trim...? Go on.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Teching In

80 mm or better however you want to call it.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boostmonster
80 mm or better however you want to call it.
Trims and turbine size are 2 different things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build help