Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

On 3 Performance 1500 Chevy Truck Single Turbo Build Thread, Production System

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsa347
The 5.0 kits fit pretty well with little modifications as it is.
But why modify, if the demands there to build a kit?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Price on just pipes.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Busa_rob
I would of bet money y'all would of made an ls swapped mustang kit before doing a truck.
I just might have an ls1 fox sitting on my lift also getting some prototype stuff fit on it right now :-) Our LSx swapped foxbody turbo system will have a release date around the same time as our truck system. I finished this setup last night:

Name:  DSC06845_zps9d337ed1.jpg
Views: 15824
Size:  56.3 KB

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Will a BW s476 bolt in place of your turbo? Also how much of a pita is it to change plugs on the passenger side with the new setup?
The plugs are not an issue really at all, just changed mine out and gapped a new set. I dont have an s476 to test, we will have our 7665, 7875 or 88mm that we will be pushing with our system. Im sure it wouldnt take too much to make it work

Originally Posted by McNasty
What are the chances of you selling without the turbo included, and any idea on price? Possibly even just the hotside?
Both are possible but its too early still on pricing till maybe next month or so when we have everything set it stone. I most likely will just offer a hotside, but I dont like doing that. Your going to spend more trying to piece it together which a lot of guys want to do.

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
He answered that a few posts above.

As for the kit it looks promising and I love the way you designed the turbo manifold it's really a slick Idea. Have you posted this on Performancetrucks.net I feel like a lot of guys would really be stoked for this kit.

In for more progress on the build and testing.
Im not a sponsor for that forum but I think once I do have the kit ready to ship, Ill try to get setup as a sponsor there. It would be awesome maybe if you would be kind enough to post a link over there for us though!

Originally Posted by Atomic
Well thats interesting....

What size pipes are those? Do you have a pic of the other side of the log? How is the boost control?
Boost is controlled by the wastegate. The other side is the stock cast manifold, we are working on being able to supply a tubular header on that one side down the road as an upgrade

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Thats really a stout deal! Wont be long till we see build threads about these kits being put to work.
Yes should not be very long at all, we hope to be getting the first kits out by November. Im overall really happy with how the kit goes together and its a clean, simple design. A lot of guys are going to have some fun with this system, thats a guarantee
Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Also just to address the ls swapped foxbody question, we have also clearanced everything to fit the 88mm turbo as well. Fits nicely on the truck and foxbody application, there is however one modification needed. The vband outlet on the turbo is 3.5 vs the standard 3" so if you go with the 88, it will take a cut and weld. I dont have a jig setup for that yet, Im sure we will sometime down the road if enough guys upgrade to that turbo option

Name:  DSC06866_zpsd6ca4b88.jpg
Views: 15550
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  DSC06867_zps327161e6.jpg
Views: 14780
Size:  35.7 KB
Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet. Please tell me it will allow enough space to clear the gm ac compressor?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the ls swapped fox**
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you do get a BW to test fit let me know. I would like to buy a kit before the sale is over.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

I'd like to be the lucky owner of that lsx turbo swapped fox!

On a side note. How do you think towing would be with the kit on say a 2500hd.would temps get out of hand or anything?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

Sweet. Please tell me it will allow enough space to clear the gm ac compressor?
I wish I could say yes but the car didnt have a/c. Im sure it wouldnt be too tough to modify that one section of the crossover to clear the compressor if needed.

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
I'd like to be the lucky owner of that lsx turbo swapped fox!

On a side note. How do you think towing would be with the kit on say a 2500hd.would temps get out of hand or anything?
I have a friend that built a similar car that daily drives it and its a work vehicle. Runs no different than when it was stock besides for now its a low 12 second truck. Ill be using mine to pull when needed and daily driving.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Dumb question, but would it adversely effect mpg when out of boost?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by On 3 Performance
Im not a sponsor for that forum but I think once I do have the kit ready to ship, Ill try to get setup as a sponsor there. It would be awesome maybe if you would be kind enough to post a link over there for us though!
The word already spread overthere and in the Houston Performance Trucks forum. Soo be ready for quite some orders in the future
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boost is controlled by the wastegate.
Come on Richard. Don't you know anything about turbos?

I'm interested to see how this kit works out. It's definitely priced reasonably.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Made any dyno pulls with the truck vs stock? I have a 06 1500 Crew cab , and have been beating this idea around for awhile now. But it is 4x4 .
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM
I need a gauge for that

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boost is controlled by the wastegate. The other side is the stock cast manifold, we are working on being able to supply a tubular header on that one side down the road as an upgrade
Yes...what I mean is how well do you think that gate location will be able to control exhaust energy in order to limit boost?

And by other side I mean of the passenger log, I just want a picture of the motor side, not the fender side.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Teching In

I wish I could say yes but the car didnt have a/c. Im sure it wouldnt be too tough to modify that one section of the crossover to clear the compressor if needed.
I hope you guys can make the a/c happen. I think many people use their trucks as their dd and would want to retain a/c. I would definitely be in line for one if it does!

Edit: Sorry, I see the truck has a/c.

Last edited by wgeyer88; 09-03-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wgeyer88
I hope you guys can make the a/c happen. I think many people use their trucks as their dd and would want to retain a/c. I would definitely be in line for one if it does!

Edit: Sorry, I see the truck has a/c.
He was talking about no AC in the foxbody.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes...what I mean is how well do you think that gate location will be able to control exhaust energy in order to limit boost?

And by other side I mean of the passenger log, I just want a picture of the motor side, not the fender side.
Research turbochargers a little before asking something like this.

The waste gates ONLY job is to regulate boost. The closer to the turbo, the quicker they regulate boost. This is especially critical when you have 2 engine banks merging in to one. You could also place a gate on each bank after the manifolds...it works...but when running actual boost controllers that cycle the gate one single gate works better in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Research turbochargers a little before asking something like this.
Man Atomic, you are taking a beating over here. Everybody on tech are experts on everything. Obviously wastegate position in the exhaust stream is going to have an effect on how well it regulates boost. When a manufacturer rates a wastegate spring at 8psi, but you are getting 10psi with your set up, obviously your gate position is not as effective as the manufacturers. That is all Richard is asking. How efficient is the gate location in that particular hot pipe set up....
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 things will effect the pressure. If yours seeing 10 out of an 8psi spring that's a result of higher back pressure, and/or where your getting your boost signal from on the bottom of the gate.

Typically guys that have boost gauges connected behind the throttle body and the boost signal coming off the compressor of the turbo, you'll likely see lower then what the spring is rated for due to pressure drop across the intercooler. If boost signal is obtained from between the outlet of the intercooler and throttle body, you'll most likely see either the rated boost, or a little higher since the turbo will work a little harder to make up for pressure drop across the intercooler core.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
Dumb question, but would it adversely effect mpg when out of boost?
If you keep your foot out of the throttle, gas mileage really isnt effected all that much if any. Our shop 2011 twin turbo 5.0 car still gets almost 28-29mpg on the highway with cruise on at about 70.

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
The word already spread overthere and in the Houston Performance Trucks forum. Soo be ready for quite some orders in the future
Very good, we already have guys calling and pricing everything out to order. So I was assuming the word was traveling

Originally Posted by LS88FoxBody
Made any dyno pulls with the truck vs stock? I have a 06 1500 Crew cab , and have been beating this idea around for awhile now. But it is 4x4 .
No my truck has never been on the dyno but typically on a system like this with the 76mm, it will be around 600rwhp from what we have seen on maybe 13-14psi. This is all an estimate as our specific truck hasnt been on the rollers yet but thats what I would expect.

Ill take more photos later and get them up when I work on it later. The gate location is fine, its going to have great flow, on my truck Im going to vent the gate to atmosphere. we have a few kits that we run twin gates on but this kit you really shouldnt have to unless you were trying to hold say 3-4psi steady. Most guys will be at least 7-8psi and a single 44 will have no issue holding that. We can always add a 2nd gate in the crossover area if you wanted but its going to be overkill

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Man Atomic, you are taking a beating over here. Everybody on tech are experts on everything. Obviously wastegate position in the exhaust stream is going to have an effect on how well it regulates boost. When a manufacturer rates a wastegate spring at 8psi, but you are getting 10psi with your set up, obviously your gate position is not as effective as the manufacturers. That is all Richard is asking. How efficient is the gate location in that particular hot pipe set up....
There are a number of things that can cause that, position can be part of the issue. Angle of the pipe to the exhaust flow, backpressure(pre turbo drive pressure), and a few other variables. The positioning on this is good and will have no issue. As mentioned before, if your going very low boost around 3-4psi which I doubt anyone will, we can always add a 2nd gate. We do that on our 4v Mustang turbo system to be able to control and hold boost stead within a 1/10 of a psi down to around 3psi on those cars

Quick Reply: On 3 Performance 1500 Chevy Truck Single Turbo Build Thread, Production System