Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

High volume oil pump w/ turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High volume oil pump w/ turbo

I have a Katech high volume oil pump in my LS1, and a -4 AN unrestricted oil feed to my turbo, with a -10 AN drain. I don't believe there to be an issue with the drain (flat spots, etc), but every once in awhile I'll get some burnt oil coming out of the exhaust and I'm wondering if it's something to do with the oil pump.

Most times I noticed the burning oil are if the throttle quickly blips, maybe to overcome the ledge as I'm pulling into my garage, or starting the car after driving it for awhile, such as getting gas at the gas station. As far as I can tell, I don't burn anything at WOT it just seems to occur when the oil pressure quickly spikes then decreases...and it's not all the time either.

Anyone run into this and have to run a restrictor? Turbo is a Turbonetics T78.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run high volume melling pump in my mustang with twin tc76's and no smoke issues.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using the Melling high volume pump without issues with a Turbonetics 7668, but I'm using a -3AN line. Perhaps you have a bad seal or you need an restrictor.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skinnies
I run high volume melling pump in my mustang with twin tc76's and no smoke issues.
Is that -4 an to each off a -4 an splitter?

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I'm using the Melling high volume pump without issues with a Turbonetics 7668, but I'm using a -3AN line. Perhaps you have a bad seal or you need an restrictor.
I thought I read the paperwork that came with the turbo said not to run a restrictor - it's been awhile, it's possible I'm mis-remembering. I suppose a bad seal is within the realm of possibilities too, the turbo only has 1500 miles on it but I did have some issues with the oil drain the first 50 or so miles.

It's just odd to me it never happens during or after WOT, just after little "blips" to the throttle like I said. Figure if a seal was bad, I'd see it at WOT especially. Maybe not.

Last edited by evo462; 08-30-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
Is that -4 an to each off a -4 an splitter?

I thought I read the paperwork that came with the turbo said not to run a restrictor - it's been awhile, it's possible I'm mis-remembering. I suppose a bad seal is within the realm of possibilities too, the turbo only has 1500 miles on it but I did have some issues with the oil drain the first 50 or so miles.

It's just odd to me it never happens during or after WOT, just after little "blips" to the throttle like I said. Figure if a seal was bad, I'd see it at WOT especially. Maybe not.
I have a splitter right at the pan adapter piece to 4an to each.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine does this sometimes usually when I am pulling up to a stop sign or red light. I will pull up and right when I am about to come to a complete stop I will get a little smoke from somewhere, don't know if it is from the exhaust or what though.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running the Mellings HV/HP and twins with -4 lines. No problems for the first few hundred miles then out of no where smoke. I built an adapter to put in line to each turbo to see what pressure they were seeing and found they were seeing more than what the in cab engine oil pressure had. I didn't want to take a guess and just put a restrictor in. I called tnetics and there is a min and max pressure recommendations. 25 lbs min and really about 55 lbs max. Mine still goes up to about 58 lbs but idles at 23 lbs. I haven't driven it much since I did this not sure its fixed.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Geeze, I don't know what's going on with mine. I'm running the Melling HV HP pump with the HP spring. When the car is warm, I see about 15-19 psi at idle. 850 RPM. And low 30's at cruising speed. This was installed in a newly rebuilt shortblock.
The previous pump was a stock LS6 pump from the factory LS1 that came in the 04 GTO. And this pump provided much more pressure than the Melling. All while using the same twin turbo setup and shortblock. I have to pull the engine again, and I'm going to buy another LS6 pump instead.
I wonder if you're sucking in oil rather than pushing it?
Does it ever smoke on decel when it's in high vacuum? You can check your charge pipes for signs of this too.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

I don't see anything less than 35 at idle, cruising at highway speeds (turning 2500-2800 RPM) I'll see around 55-60. This is using the factory gauge...not sure how accurate they are, or if they even reflect what the turbo might be seeing, as 2000RATA said.

I'll pull off a charge pipe but I have never seen it smoke on decel.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been going to post up what I found with pressures and different restrictors. It's interesting, if I remember I will start a thread tonight. The turbos see more pressure than the engine.

Quick Reply: High volume oil pump w/ turbo