Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler swap gains 168rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So can someone rank intercooler cores in terms of flow and performance?

We have Treadstone cores, Vibrant, Garret, Bell, and the cheap ebay knockoffs, CX racing, Godspeed and whatever else they want to be labeled as.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
I would have just ran A2W before trying to fit that monster in my engine bay.
its a street car so dealing with an A2W was outta the question, its specifically made for an F body so there is no worries of getting it to fit. like socks on a rooster, minor trimming of my fog light holes and.. presto...
Old 01-03-2016, 09:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So can someone rank intercooler cores in terms of flow and performance?

We have Treadstone cores, Vibrant, Garret, Bell, and the cheap ebay knockoffs, CX racing, Godspeed and whatever else they want to be labeled as.
I dont think it's as easy as that.

Say 3 different engines all 1500hp.

One large motor, low boost...clearly it will need lots of flow, but limited cooling ability. a 3" open tube might suffice. It will flow well, but obviously do no cooling.

medium sized motor, moderate boost....clearly it needs flow and cooling, an open tube would never suffice

small motor, high boost, it still needs lots of flow, but also will need a lot of cooling ability

Ignoring the above, the general consensus everywhere is that Garrett cores seem to do everything well. They flow superbly despite high fin density and because of that high fin density they cool superbly.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Ok, so a 416ci motor, with a F1A that seems to make a nice linear boost to 10psi, then falls off as the rpms climb, like the intercooler is backing up and holding back flow. Instead of seeing 18-19psi, I only saw 16 at redline. My iat's aren't bad, they only went up ~10 degrees on a pull thanks to meth injection into the blower, as well as post intercooler.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 AM
9 Second Club

I'm not saying I have the answers.

Obviously the more boost generated, the more heat is generated. That's fairly universal. So for a centri there is probably a slight advantage there given boost patterns compared to say a fast spooling turbo setup

However if you've a very restrictive core there may be a lot more boost created than you're actually seeing.

Also IMO you'd need to monitor temps without the meth affecting any readings to get any sort of idea if you're current core is working well in that respect

Clearly if you're relying on meth for a lot of cooling, you could concentrate on a core that flows well, so a cheaper unit with more open tubes might suffice.

But even with my really shitty double core unit at around 2.75" thick I made 13 years ago when I first fitted the LS to my car with the YSI ( was 2 old cores from a twin turbo setup with a previous engine )
I measured no noticeable restriction across this double core, there was no boost drop...but it also didnt cool very well.
They were fairly open tube/fin design, fin density inside would have been very low. But it was essentially free so I didnt care at the time

Really to get the full picture of your own setup, you'd need to test boost before/after the core, and charge temps before/after the core.

Both of those should still be valid despite the meth injection as long as the after core temp sensor is prior to any further meth injection
Attached Thumbnails Intercooler swap gains 168rwhp-img_1083.jpg   Intercooler swap gains 168rwhp-img_1218.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

joy, i have the precision 825hp front mount on my car currently. Still hasnt been on the dyno, seeing this thread puts an uneasy feeling in me.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so a 416ci motor, with a F1A that seems to make a nice linear boost to 10psi, then falls off as the rpms climb, like the intercooler is backing up and holding back flow. Instead of seeing 18-19psi, I only saw 16 at redline. My iat's aren't bad, they only went up ~10 degrees on a pull thanks to meth injection into the blower, as well as post intercooler.
You check how much boost you have pre intercooler yet?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
You check how much boost you have pre intercooler yet?
No, not yet. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do that.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

No, not yet. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do that.
Buy 2 cheap identical pressure gauges. Some simple push fit pneumatic fittings. Drill/tap each end tank or pipework near the core itself.

Run pipes to gauges, watch gauges whilst driving. Or video them.

Job done.

Just test the gauges before using so you know they do actually read the same, I've a few cheap gauges here that read miles apart !

If you wanted to get fancier you could opt for a pressure differential gauge or sensor
Old 01-04-2016, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Buy 2 cheap identical pressure gauges. Some simple push fit pneumatic fittings. Drill/tap each end tank or pipework near the core itself.

Run pipes to gauges, watch gauges whilst driving. Or video them.

Job done.

Just test the gauges before using so you know they do actually read the same, I've a few cheap gauges here that read miles apart !

If you wanted to get fancier you could opt for a pressure differential gauge or sensor
That's a really simple and effective way to test it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-28-2020, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this a old thread but I think I might have a similar issue with my intercooler. I have a D1X Procharger installed on a forged 6.2 with PRC 225 heads and Holley high ram. I just dynoed this set up at 15psi with 16 degrees timing it only made 700rwhp on 93 and dual alky. It’s seems this is a bit low on power through a 6 speed. Only possible weak point I can think of is the Treadstone TRV25 intercooler I have installed. You guys think this could be the issue?

https://www.treadstoneperformance.co...1000hp/p104567
Old 09-28-2020, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon706
I know this a old thread but I think I might have a similar issue with my intercooler. I have a D1X Procharger installed on a forged 6.2 with PRC 225 heads and Holley high ram. I just dynoed this set up at 15psi with 16 degrees timing it only made 700rwhp on 93 and dual alky. It’s seems this is a bit low on power through a 6 speed. Only possible weak point I can think of is the Treadstone TRV25 intercooler I have installed. You guys think this could be the issue?

I would test it as mentioned how to do it above and see what kind of pressure drop you have, as I have found bad flowing intercoolers before. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-28-2020, 03:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandon706

It is very unlikely that is your issue. But you could test for pressure drop across it which would give an indication of its flow ability if nothing else.

Could be the tuner, the setup, the dyno, belt slip, whatever.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Maybe over spraying the methanol? What size nozzles? what mixture of meth to water? When does it come on etc?

It will kill power if you flood the tune with too much water or meth.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Measure pressure before and after IC - it's so easy to do

Quick Reply: Intercooler swap gains 168rwhp