Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo car ran a little hot saturday. Water pump maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Twin turbo car ran a little hot saturday. Water pump maybe?

I drove the car to my friends house which is about 30 miles away, all interstate, and the needle crept up to about 220-225 which started worrying me. I know my fans need to be replaced with some better ones but rolling down the highway they aren't a factor. It still has the stock LS1 water pump on it and I was thinking maybe it is not performing up to par. It was damn hot that day though, 95+ and heat index over 100 so maybe it is normal on that hot of day? The car does not have A/C.

Should I look into replacing the water pump you think? Or is it normal for on that hot of a day and that long of a trip, 30 miles one way, for it to run a little warm?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That kind of temperature creep is usually a sign of not enough radiator. Like you mentioned interstate driving if the air dam is in place should have little need of the fans.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

I am almost positive the air dam is there but will check when I get home. The radiator is the typical Griffin radiator everyone dlsd uses, I forget which it is. That's why I was thinking maybe water pump.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does not sound like a waterpump issue, what is your current fan set up? Pusher or puller?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

It is a puller set up but they need to be replaced. They are Mishimoto fans that only pull 900 cfm each but it started running warm on the highway so I assumed it wasn't a fan problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here "Mishimoto fans" is most likely the problem, there was a thread not long ago where someone else was having issues with the cheap fans. Also in that thread I seem to remember the guy sayin they told him they had cahnged suppliers as the old style was not cutting it. Get yourself a couple of SPAL fans and good high current realys powered off the battery and I bet you will solve your issues.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol im throwing radiator in the rear because of this. Even though I was using stock fans as pushers and stock radiator when I was experiencing this. Done started the relocating so no turning back lol. Hopefully I can hold below 180s with it in the rear as my goal with a cheap aluminum aftermarket radiator and stock fans as pullers again.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Lol im throwing radiator in the rear because of this. Even though I was using stock fans as pushers and stock radiator when I was experiencing this. Done started the relocating so no turning back lol. Hopefully I can hold below 180s with it in the rear as my goal with a cheap aluminum aftermarket radiator and stock fans as pullers again.
You can't expect to use a shrouded setup as a pusher and think your going to get good results. You're covering a majority of the radiator and not allowing air to flow across. It's different when its shrouded as a puller, the air moves through the fans.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

I planned on the fans anyway but I didn't think it was the fans since I was going down the highway, even though it was hot as hell that day. I guess I'll start with the fans and see what happens.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
You can't expect to use a shrouded setup as a pusher and think your going to get good results. You're covering a majority of the radiator and not allowing air to flow across. It's different when its shrouded as a puller, the air moves through the fans.
agreed and I should of thought about that but I wanted to do something different from the normal so its own its way to the rear.

OP my temps were 217-226 on a 120 mile cruise labor day.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
agreed and I should of thought about that but I wanted to do something different from the normal so its own its way to the rear.

OP my temps were 217-226 on a 120 mile cruise labor day.
Yeah that sounds like about where mine was on the interstate. It never got above that but I didn't like it creeping up there.

I also forgot to mention it has developed a pretty loud annoying squeak/squeal, more squeak really but was thinking it might all be the water pump?

Quick Reply: Twin turbo car ran a little hot saturday. Water pump maybe?