Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Filter size important on Turbo engine? Yes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I was assuming they tested 1 sq ft of each media type. When they say super specific things like provides "good protection from particulate". I have my doubts too. Has to be better than a screen IMO. And was about the same cost as my AFE.

http://www.r2cperformance.com/black-...l-filters.aspx
Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Definitely, screens do **** all. They dont flow or filter lol

Would be better if they had images of each filter for size/fitment.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always used the largest K&N filter I could find after having a shorty filter crush in on itself and haven't had a problem since. I've never removed it while at the track either.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:48 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
I've always used the largest K&N filter I could find after having a shorty filter crush in on itself and haven't had a problem since. I've never removed it while at the track either.
That’s great if you have the room to run a massive filter. Many setups like mine do not. So the idea of a smaller filter that flows 4x as much per SQ FT of media as the standard filters is appealing.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
That’s great if you have the room to run a massive filter. Many setups like mine do not. So the idea of a smaller filter that flows 4x as much per SQ FT of media as the standard filters is appealing.
Yeah I definitely agree. I'm lucky enough that the position of my turbo I can 90* straight down with an aluminum elbow and pop a big *** filter on it. Otherwise i'd be in that position to find a max flow small filter.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW i called R2C and asked about different sized filters offered. They will build you a customer filter for oyur application for around $50.. Hell of a deal if you ask me.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never heard of these r2c filters! I need a filter for 5" pipe. Would that 350z filter flow enough for 900whp??
Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be removing this at the track tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

these filters allowed Camaro Andreas's car to go 6.3 at over 220mph. Says he tried without the filters and it made no difference.

So I'd find it very hard...in fact impossible to believe changing an air filter caused 2 full AFR points difference at idle, considering how relatively little air the engine would be consuming at idle.

Unless previously you had the most ridiculous piece of **** air filter possible. Pictures would speak a thousand words as to what you had before and have now though

By all means use the biggest and best quality filter you can, that's just common sense. But unless it's very bad to start with, I cant see it making a huge difference. And if there was a difference, it would mostly only be when the restriction is there. ie at high loads.
I gained NOTHING as well. I went over 200 mph with them on.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:16 PM
8 Second Club

"Black Hex" Filter showed up today. The inlet was a little shy of 5", but with a slight trim and heat gun I squeezed it over my intake pipe. The HEX around the filter makes it much stronger. I had to bear down on it really hard to get it on my intake pipe. Seems very sturdy at least.

Here it is next to the old AFE filter. Wish the new one had the additional filter cone on top.

Name:  CAM00980_zps0z61mjsf.jpg
Views: 4045
Size:  328.4 KB

Old 10-13-2015, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Forcefed86, did you try that filter out yet to see if you gained anything as far as air flow and does it look to be a good street/strip filter?

Last edited by Monte4ever; 10-13-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You all realize that you can actually measure the pressure between the filter and intake manifold, using a gauge that reads in inches of water for very high accuracy? That will take the guess work out of "will I gain anything without my filter" and "is this filter a restriction on my engine?". You simply compare atmospheric pressure to the pressure after the filter. A couple of inches of water is normal there. If you are serious about this, you will also log the pressure (as you would any other sensor) and compare it later at home on your laptop with RPM and TPS and vehicle speed to see what the pressures are while you were driving. Furthermore this could also model filter flow decline due as it becomes more filthy.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 AM
8 Second Club

You can grab the gauge for like $20 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filter-Minder-Dash-Panel-Gauge-168501-00225-Air-Filter-Restriction-Monitoring-/321870077347?hash=item4af0f39da3&vxp=mtr
Hope to get back to the track this weekend.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
You all realize that you can actually measure the pressure between the filter and intake manifold, using a gauge that reads in inches of water for very high accuracy? That will take the guess work out of "will I gain anything without my filter" and "is this filter a restriction on my engine?". You simply compare atmospheric pressure to the pressure after the filter. A couple of inches of water is normal there. If you are serious about this, you will also log the pressure (as you would any other sensor) and compare it later at home on your laptop with RPM and TPS and vehicle speed to see what the pressures are while you were driving. Furthermore this could also model filter flow decline due as it becomes more filthy.
It wont tell you if you'll gain anything, just because there is a tiny restriction, doesnt always mean its costing power. And it's called a manometer, basically just a very sensitive vac gauge.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Banned

It wont tell you if you'll gain anything, just because there is a tiny restriction, doesnt always mean its costing power. And it's called a manometer, basically just a very sensitive vac gauge.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381017656706?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Something like this would be ok. No need to use fancy names for gauges.

It can tell you if there is a pressure drop, which is to say, there is a slight restriction. If we decrease air filter size gradually, there will be more and more pressure drop (restriction) after the filter, until a full laboratory vacuum is established and there is no net movement of air molecules. Naturally, if we go the other direction, by increasing the size of the filter, the pressure will increase until it hits atmospheric, and then stabilizing around there, as it will tend to fluctuate on a running engine and even in the ambient air. Achieving this state is to say that the filter is "non-existent" or therefore "as if it was not there" which would be an nearly ideal situation, since it is as far opposite of the full vacuum, zero flow situation I have just had the honor of mentioning you are able to attain without exotic means at atmospheric pressure.
In other words, you would be able to establish and record any improvement, or gains as you put it, with this method, which is also to say that you are incorrect in your reasoning; you seem to be dismissing the difference between negligible "gains" (it is common for inlet plumbing to present a vacuum for the sake of PCV and the factory indeed adjusts the pressure in this location for this very reason using carefully planned restriction fittings) and whether there has been any improvement whatsoever.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 10-13-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Miljoco LP2507L240 Pressure Gauge 0 to 60H2O 2 1 2in 1 4in | eBay

Something like this would be ok. No need to use fancy names for gauges.

It can tell you if there is a pressure drop, which is to say, there is a slight restriction. If we decrease air filter size gradually, there will be more and more pressure drop (restriction) after the filter, until a full laboratory vacuum is established and there is no net movement of air molecules. Naturally, if we go the other direction, by increasing the size of the filter, the pressure will increase until it hits atmospheric, and then stabilizing around there, as it will tend to fluctuate on a running engine and even in the ambient air. Achieving this state is to say that the filter is "non-existent" or therefore "as if it was not there" which would be an nearly ideal situation, since it is as far opposite of the full vacuum, zero flow situation I have just had the honor of mentioning you are able to attain without exotic means at atmospheric pressure.
In other words, you would be able to establish and record any improvement, or gains as you put it, with this method, which is also to say that you are incorrect in your reasoning; you seem to be dismissing the difference between negligible "gains" (it is common for inlet plumbing to present a vacuum for the sake of PCV and the factory indeed adjusts the pressure in this location for this very reason using carefully planned restriction fittings) and whether there has been any improvement whatsoever.
Just because there is zero restriction, doesnt mean it will always yield gains over minimal restriction though.

A straight edged intake from say a turbo or supercharger inlet with no filter my represent zero restriction. However if you then add a properly designed bellmouth/velocity stack, you could see improvements in power. Yet pressure difference has not changed.

Smooth airflow will always work better here than turbulent airflow, and often a filter can help to smooth airflow. So it would be preferable to have a good filter with perhaps a very small restriction in terms of water pressure measurement vs no filter, no restriction but highly turbulent airflow.

And as for negligible gains, until you're into the realms of 20, 50, 100hp etc...anything sub that level is negligible especially when we're talking mostly about boosted builds probably in the region of 800+ HP

If you had say 1000hp and there was an indicated gain of even 20hp...that really is negligible and could simply be any number of dyno variations.

Of course the manometer would be a useful tool in monitoring the health of any filter or intake setup to alert the driver of any issues which is perhaps a better use of such a thing here.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

at 22lbs i picked up nearly 50whp by removing my spectre air filter. Torque remained the same. didnt change anything else. 840 to 890 whp

Mods in sig
Old 10-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Banned

A straight edged intake from say a turbo or supercharger inlet with no filter my represent zero restriction. However if you then add a properly designed bellmouth/velocity stack, you could see improvements in power. Yet pressure difference has not changed.
Actually, there is a difference in pressure differentials (I covered this scenario in my previous post when I mentioned exotic means), there must be for there to be an improvement in power. For each improvement to power, there has been an improvement to airflow, or an increase to engine efficiency. Velocity stacks seem to improve volumetric efficiency by improving mass flow, which ultimately means there was a higher and lower pressure at some point somewhere, even if it was only a peak caused by a resonance effect for brief instant that coincides with another valve event somewhere else (such as the helmholtz effect due to runner length), and although perhaps not measurable to us with cheap equipment, it has to be there for there to be any improvement.

"Modern engines universally have tuned intake tract volumes and associated resonance frequencies, designed to provide higher than atmospheric intake air pressure while the intake valves are open"
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

Smooth airflow will always work better here than turbulent airflow, and often a filter can help to smooth airflow. So it would be preferable to have a good filter with perhaps a very small restriction in terms of water pressure measurement vs no filter, no restriction but highly turbulent airflow.
I agree completely with this, and mentioned that is an OEM pathway to direct PCV traffic to some extent.

And as for negligible gains, until you're into the realms of 20, 50, 100hp etc...anything sub that level is negligible especially when we're talking mostly about boosted builds probably in the region of 800+ HP

If you had say 1000hp and there was an indicated gain of even 20hp...that really is negligible and could simply be any number of dyno variations.
Completely agree, again we seem to be on the same page here. Seeing a few inches of water after a filter is negligible on the majority of engines.

Of course the manometer would be a useful tool in monitoring the health of any filter or intake setup to alert the driver of any issues which is perhaps a better use of such a thing here.
I Agree with the sentiment that it would indeed be a useful tool for monitoring air filter condition. However I would point out one more useful application: PCV analysis. How much vacuum does your crank case see during boost? How about part throttle? Did you know you can dial up the crank case vacuum by adjusting the restriction between the atmosphere and the crankcase on the pre-turbo inlet? Many OEM turbo manufacturers use this technique (a properly sized hole) as a handy way to improve scavenging of combustion gasses, and keep the oil cleaner.

Quick Reply: Air Filter size important on Turbo engine? Yes!