Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

those of you with the AES 390

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:12 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 X275 builds for some bug guns eh!
Hmmmm, when i read that the first thing that comes to mind is..... the guys that spent money on parts they paid for and didnt get in their engines, was possibly used to help those 10 big dollar engines. You can go ahead and ask why i suspect this.
I hope your build goes good for you asubennett. I truly do. I hope when you walk in that shop to check your stuff you have a very good idea of what to look for when you are eyeballing your stuff. Build techniques and procedures and parts installed. Its fairly easy to blindside someone. One of the responders in this post knows what i am talking about.
Hope all works out for you.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSZ
Hmmmm, when i read that the first thing that comes to mind is..... the guys that spent money on parts they paid for and didnt get in their engines, was possibly used to help those 10 big dollar engines. You can go ahead and ask why i suspect this.
I hope your build goes good for you asubennett. I truly do. I hope when you walk in that shop to check your stuff you have a very good idea of what to look for when you are eyeballing your stuff. Build techniques and procedures and parts installed. Its fairly easy to blindside someone. One of the responders in this post knows what i am talking about.
I'm asking. Let me know via PM if you like. I basically brought them the parts and had them do the machine work, assembly and cam degreeing. They didn't order **** for me except for a crank,and gaskets.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
If your knowledge is "advanced" and you know exactly what you want, give AES a try, but be prepared to wait. Otherwise, guys like Kyle at TMS, Randy at PER, Steve at Legend - these are all people that have the foresight and instinct to look at an engine build from an inexperienced first time clients point of view. THESE are the types of guys I prefer to do business with because they not only are knowledgeable, but at the end of the day, they understand that they're employed because of people like us.
Excellent point.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSZ
I'm also curious hearing about your experiences if you're willing to share.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Crooks /story
Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by asubennett
I'm asking. Let me know via PM if you like. I basically brought them the parts and had them do the machine work, assembly and cam degreeing. They didn't order **** for me except for a crank,and gaskets.
Its sometimes common practice with companies who may be struggling. They may take the money from one customer but use that money to fund another cause the money the other customer had already paid may have been already used on whatever.
Other companies have enough money to be able to use it where they feel needed and still have enough for all the goodies customers have paid for and still pay their own bills and whatnot.
Some companies will have customers who pay for specific parts, then install a part that is supposed to be the same, but manufactured by a totally different company. Kind of like selling the customer ARP head bolts but using Ebay head bolts. You get the idea im sure.

You brought them the parts. Great. They provide good machine work. Great. Guys have had good luck with some of their engines. Great.
Fact still is, these guys have caught the company you are dealing with screwing them out of parts paid for or maybe in some cases shoddy work.
Trust me, this isnt the first time i have seen this happen. I am not saying they cant turn around a bad thing and turn it into good. BUt i would be careful. Cause it certainly looks shoddy from what has been transpiring over the last while. Best of luck to you.
ANy more questions, dont be afraid to ask.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I'm also curious hearing about your experiences if you're willing to share.
I dont have any with AES.
But, i have watched 2 companies somewhat local to me leave people in bad positions after having handed over money. Taking money from Peter to help Paul. Some people got totally screwed over. Some, i wonder how they are where they are now without having been seriously dealt with.
Believe me, some of these guys are at the top of the game now and i wonder how. And i often wonder if their competitors even know what sort of stuff they pulled. There were alot of guys on here that were stiffed!!!!!!!

From an outsider looking in. This looks like a very familiar situation. Evidently im not the only one who is seeing this too.

Last edited by SSZ; 04-11-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Here is strange/general and vague quote from AES:

"Blocks are sourced from General Motors (these blocks have been proven to over 1300 horsepower) crankshaft/connecting rods are Callie's/Scat/Wiesco (depending on availability), Pistons come from Diamond, exclusively. Turn around is very quick, as long as the project is properly funded. These short blocks run 4700.00.

Forged crank/rod/piston.
Should be 9.500:1 depending on final combustion chamber size.
Either block is available.
Parts are in stock."

Last edited by Denali08; 04-13-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSZ
I dont have any with AES.
But, i have watched 2 companies somewhat local to me leave people in bad positions after having handed over money. Taking money from Peter to help Paul. Some people got totally screwed over. Some, i wonder how they are where they are now without having been seriously dealt with.
Believe me, some of these guys are at the top of the game now and i wonder how. And i often wonder if their competitors even know what sort of stuff they pulled. There were alot of guys on here that were stiffed!!!!!!!

From an outsider looking in. This looks like a very familiar situation. Evidently im not the only one who is seeing this too.
Yep.

I've heard that Brian's car is sponsored by Tony, the owner of AES.

Shocking, I know.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep.

Shocking, I know.
Yep, also registered to aes due to legal issues
Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Denali08
Here is strange/general and vague quote from AES:

"Blocks are sourced from General Motors (these blocks have been proven to over 1300 horsepower) crankshaft/connecting rods are Callie's/Scat/Wiesco (depending on availability), Pistons come from Diamond, exclusively. Turn around is very quick, as long as the project is properly funded. These short blocks run 4700.00.

Forged crank/rod/piston.
Should be 9.500:1 depending on final combustion chamber size.
Either block is available.
Parts are in stock."
Blocks must be sourced from the junkyard and eBay because mine was really rusty under the black paint, and said they had to give me a lq4 vs a ly6 block. It shouldn't matter if they get them right from GM. Maybe this is why it takes them forever to ship an engine out. 6.0 blocks are getting harder to get cheap and harder to come by due to a lot of restomod guys buying them up. Prices have also gone up due to this.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Yep.

Shocking, I know.
I dont know what car is Brians. Im guessing its one of the big guns though. Im just stating what i am reading and picturing cause it looks all too familiar.
I think you guys understand what i posted.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Teching In

I will NEVER do business with or recommend AES Racing to anyone.
Overcharging, non-communicative, and slow crooks that do sloppy work.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSZ
I dont know what car is Brians. Im guessing its one of the big guns though. Im just stating what i am reading and picturing cause it looks all too familiar.
I think you guys understand what i posted.
IIRC, it's the red 57 Chevy. Some huge big block nitrous setup

Originally Posted by xtrkestrel
I will NEVER do business with or recommend AES Racing to anyone.
Overcharging, non-communicative, and slow crooks that do sloppy work.
Sorry to see ANOTHER unhappy FORMER AES client. Care to share your experience? Please feel free to PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Whilst it's true you always hear bad news more so than good.

But AES sure as hell has plenty of unhappy customers, with even more appearing or at least speaking up about it almost every few days here.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

I know where I won't buy my next motor.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I've been in the industry over 20 years, started at the bottom and worked my way up. I've seen things from both sides of the counter, there are some things I've noticed along the way. Many people claim to be technicians, very few are. Business ethics are in short supply, if you find someone talented and honest, consider yourself lucky. Do not give anyone the "benifit of the doubt" if something sounds wrong.

I recently worked with someone who represented himself as a genius builder. He had almost everyone convinced of his ability, except me. I caught a couple things that I knew were wrong, then started paying attention and picking his game apart. I waved a big red flag to anyone who would listen. Unfortunately my warnings were dismissed until it was too late. Long story short, if you pick up on something that doesn't seem right, do not assume that the person you're dealing with is honest or trustworthy. Some people in the performance industry mis-represent themselves and can blow smoke past most customers and other techs. Do not be fooled by smiling faces or slick sales pitch's, results will speak for themselves. The guys with a history of building fast, reliable cars are your best bet, even if it costs more.

Sorry about the long post. It just bothers me to see people get ripped off and if I can help them avoid it I will. I've been in this business a long time and have seen this kind of stuff over and over. It almost seems like you're more likely to find bad shops than good shops these days. Quality, honesty and results are rare. If you find a good shop or a good tech, consider yourself lucky. I couldn't imagine substituting parts without telling a customer or claiming expertise with nothing to back it up. Yet it happens every day in this industry.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GSAWYERS
I've been in the industry over 20 years, started at the bottom and worked my way up. I've seen things from both sides of the counter, there are some things I've noticed along the way. Many people claim to be technicians, very few are. Business ethics are in short supply, if you find someone talented and honest, consider yourself lucky. Do not give anyone the "benifit of the doubt" if something sounds wrong.

I recently worked with someone who represented himself as a genius builder. He had almost everyone convinced of his ability, except me. I caught a couple things that I knew were wrong, then started paying attention and picking his game apart. I waved a big red flag to anyone who would listen. Unfortunately my warnings were dismissed until it was too late. Long story short, if you pick up on something that doesn't seem right, do not assume that the person you're dealing with is honest or trustworthy. Some people in the performance industry mis-represent themselves and can blow smoke past most customers and other techs. Do not be fooled by smiling faces or slick sales pitch's, results will speak for themselves. The guys with a history of building fast, reliable cars are your best bet, even if it costs more.

Sorry about the long post. It just bothers me to see people get ripped off and if I can help them avoid it I will. I've been in this business a long time and have seen this kind of stuff over and over. It almost seems like you're more likely to find bad shops than good shops these days. Quality, honesty and results are rare. If you find a good shop or a good tech, consider yourself lucky. I couldn't imagine substituting parts without telling a customer or claiming expertise with nothing to back it up. Yet it happens every day in this industry.
Good comments. I would also like to throw out the phenomenon of the internet as it relates to companies. I have said from the beginning AES is short head count. Whenever you are short head count, little details slip through the cracks because you are spread too thin.

All of the complaints in this thread about AES are as follows -

* Had conversations about Manley valves (no documents or clarity about what he paid for) just conversations. Mad when they weren't Manley valves

* Not LS9 head gaskets when paid for LS9 gaskets. The cost difference is nothing from the 7 layer to the 3 layer. I am sure there was not a cost benefit of doing this. Again, oversight, too busy.

* Many instances where AES went past due dates with build. Took too long etc....The internet assumes this indicates financial difficulties. Could be. I doubt it though for anyone who has ever visited their shop. This is not a nickel dick engine builder in the boonies.

At any rate, I've said it before and I will say it again. If you are good at something, really good at it, odds are you will have to wait for it. Think new popular restaurant, new iphone, dragonslayer cranks (ha ha). High demand often times = long wait.

It would be better if AES underpromised and over delivered. That would make people feel better. But hey - take your motor build elsewhere. Take it somewhere that has no wait and can talk to you all day. My guess - there is probably a reason why they have time to talk to you all damn day. Just sayin. :-)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by asubennett
Good comments. I would also like to throw out the phenomenon of the internet as it relates to companies. I have said from the beginning AES is short head count. Whenever you are short head count, little details slip through the cracks because you are spread too thin.

All of the complaints in this thread about AES are as follows -

* Had conversations about Manley valves (no documents or clarity about what he paid for) just conversations. Mad when they weren't Manley valves

* Not LS9 head gaskets when paid for LS9 gaskets. The cost difference is nothing from the 7 layer to the 3 layer. I am sure there was not a cost benefit of doing this. Again, oversight, too busy.

* Many instances where AES went past due dates with build. Took too long etc....The internet assumes this indicates financial difficulties. Could be. I doubt it though for anyone who has ever visited their shop. This is not a nickel dick engine builder in the boonies.

At any rate, I've said it before and I will say it again. If you are good at something, really good at it, odds are you will have to wait for it. Think new popular restaurant, new iphone, dragonslayer cranks (ha ha). High demand often times = long wait.

It would be better if AES underpromised and over delivered. That would make people feel better. But hey - take your motor build elsewhere. Take it somewhere that has no wait and can talk to you all day. My guess - there is probably a reason why they have time to talk to you all damn day. Just sayin. :-)
Cool story bro. Maybe we need to contact you to check up on our engines being built and verify part numbers on each of these builds to make sure the out-of-towners don't get fucked. Since you live down the street and all?
Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dmaxvaz
Cool story bro. Maybe we need to contact you to check up on our engines being built and verify part numbers on each of these builds to make sure the out-of-towners don't get fucked. Since you live down the street and all?
I agree. But I will never use AES.

Quick Reply: those of you with the AES 390