Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Heads/Cam/Valvetrain recommendations for D1SC/370/T56

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Heads/Cam/Valvetrain recommendations for D1SC/370/T56

Looking for a heads/cam/valvetrain recommendation for a D1SC/370 build. Wanted to ask here first before a local shop which has been really busy.

Current planned specs:
LQ4 bored out to a 370 (own, not yet machined)
Stock crank (own)
Lunati 6.125" Pro Mod steel rods (own)
-11cc dish pistons (not yet purchased)
LS6 intake (own, considering upgrading to a FAST 92 if I can get a deal on one)
D1SC w/3.4 pulley (own)
Aster bracket for D1SC (not yet purchased)
F-body T56 (trading built 4L60E for T56)
Stock 3.42 10 bolt (own, deciding between S60 and 9", unless a local friend gets an 8.8" conversion business started)

Looking for something easy to drive with not a lot of lope (115 LSA or higher). Not too worried about power levels. More worried about valve float and proper valvetrain setup.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFR, trick flow, PRC... anything with a nice thick deck for reliablity
Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

An LS3 topend would be really nice if feel like going that route, itd be a lil expensive but nothing crazy. If you go with PRC's you'll probably be more than happy and it'll also be the cheapest. Trickflows and AFR's are expensive but proven as well. Its really all about how much you want to spend and what head will get you the compression ratio you want. you'll be happy whatever you choose.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX

Looking for something easy to drive with not a lot of lope (115 LSA or higher). Not too worried about power levels. More worried about valve float and proper valvetrain setup.
Some vague or contradicting statements there.

A stock cam will idle and drive perfectly and be very easy on any valvetrain. If you didnt care about power....then if you have one already then that is the cheapest option for sure.

What sort of rpm's are you aiming for ? what actual usage ?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Second poster pretty much listed the heads I would consider for your setup. Also no need for a fast with boost the LS6 is fine.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fosnot
AFR, trick flow, PRC... anything with a nice thick deck for reliablity
Yeah, I knew about the thick deck thing but wanted some specific models to look for. There have been almost 50 aftermarket LSx style heads that either use stock castings or new castings and only some of the new castings have thicker than stock decks. It's kinda tough to determine because often times the sellers/manufacturers don't advertise the specific deck thickness, i.e. Trick Flow.

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Second poster pretty much listed the heads I would consider for your setup. Also no need for a fast with boost the LS6 is fine.
Yeah, looking for specific models. I already know the big brand names. Looking for heads that go along with the cam that go along with the intake that go along with the bottom end that goes along with the forced induction.

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
An LS3 topend would be really nice if feel like going that route, itd be a lil expensive but nothing crazy. If you go with PRC's you'll probably be more than happy and it'll also be the cheapest. Trickflows and AFR's are expensive but proven as well. Its really all about how much you want to spend and what head will get you the compression ratio you want. you'll be happy whatever you choose.
LS3 top end has a thin deck, so no... I already knew pretty much everything else you mentioned. I had a forged 347 setup in my car (my avatar pic) that recently failed and I'm upgrading to this 370. Very familiar with Pats DCR calculator by now. Trying to stay away from AFR pricing (don't want to spend $2800+ on heads).

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Some vague or contradicting statements there.

A stock cam will idle and drive perfectly and be very easy on any valvetrain. If you didnt care about power....then if you have one already then that is the cheapest option for sure.

What sort of rpm's are you aiming for ? what actual usage ?
I don't have a cam right now. The one in my NA 347 setup was very mild even for a 347 and it got chewed up by material in the oil on the last build due to incorrect main bearing tolerances, so I have no cam or valvetrain parts right now (aside from pushrods... but those are cheap). It was a very mild cam that idled and drove perfectly and was easy on the valvetrain, but I don't think it's the correct spec for a D1SC+370 combo.

Car is pretty much a weekend car. Some drag racing, some cruising for 100+ mile day trips with car junkies in/out of the mountains, some road course events if I can get the weight/suspension dialed in. There's some detailed specs on the suspension mods if you click my sig picture.

RPMs are probably gonna be 6800 peak. Don't want to spin the blower too high for too long due to the 3.4 pulley putting the blower RPMs a little over the bearings rated limit at max engine RPM.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-18-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

A while ago I found some LSA heads for a pretty good price but passed them up. Was considering those but realize those won't work with my LS6 intake and I'd have to switch up the intake setup. Really what I'm looking for now is a package that works well together, not really a conglomeration of parts that are good by themselves but not so much when paired together.

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam/Valvetrain recommendations for D1SC/370/T56