Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo onto advanced induction N/A build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo onto advanced induction N/A build?

If I were to put a turbo on my advanced induction N/A build. 10.5:1 compression, what are some pros and cons? I don't have forged internals yet, which I know I'll need. With a 76mm turbo, what am I going to have to get for forged internals in order to lower compression? Should I lower compression? How can I get the best of both worlds here?

Any suggestions would help. Thanks a lot guys

This is an ls1 with LS6 heads and upgraded valvetrain and matching cam. 230/234 cam

Last edited by Camaroz18; 10-26-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't need forged internals yet. 12 psi or less with some meth injection and your good to go. Keep timing below 14 degrees or so also. Should live a long time. Im not forged either. All stock bottom and heads, gaskets, bolts, etc. Except the cam stuff. Seen 19psi last night and over 100mph burnout when boost came in hard in 4th. Just get a good tune in it and stock internals will take you far past what you think.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Don't need forged internals yet. 12 psi or less with some meth injection and your good to go. Keep timing below 14 degrees or so also. Should live a long time. Im not forged either. All stock bottom and heads, gaskets, bolts, etc. Except the cam stuff. Seen 19psi last night and over 100mph burnout when boost came in hard in 4th. Just get a good tune in it and stock internals will take you far past what you think.
Thanks a lot man. That really helps me out
Old 10-26-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just use some common sense and these engines are built tough. Methanol (100%) is your friend. I run VP Fuels M1 pure methanol in my system. All details in my sig including build thread link.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Just use some common sense and these engines are built tough. Methanol (100%) is your friend. I run VP Fuels M1 pure methanol in my system. All details in my sig including build thread link.
Why methanol? Where do you even get methanol? Why not E85?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If e85 is available to you. Then run it instead. Its not for me. Local shop carries methanol.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Launching!

If e85 is available to you. Then run it instead. Its not for me. Local shop carries methanol.
Just out of curiosity, what do you run 0-60? and do you have any videos of you running other than on a dyno? I really like your setup tho, and hope you don't mind me borrowing it? lol I'm probably gonna fab it nearly the same way. You like the fender exhaust? I'm a big fan of rear exhaust instead but I know it's a pita sometimes when doing a custom build. Especially when its gonna be lowered quite a bit.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

everything is in my build thread videos of me at the track on 8 psi and 12 psi but nothing at my current boost and it takes too long for the turbo to come in without a two-step on the 8th mile track that's why it seems like it's sluggish coming of the line but take into account from 8 psi to my last Dyno number I picked up 230 rear wheel horsepowerand that's going from 8 psi to 18 psi. sorry for running sentences I'm typing this on my phone
Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Launching!

everything is in my build thread videos of me at the track on 8 psi and 12 psi but nothing at my current boost and it takes too long for the turbo to come in without a two-step on the 8th mile track that's why it seems like it's sluggish coming of the line but take into account from 8 psi to my last Dyno number I picked up 230 rear wheel horsepowerand that's going from 8 psi to 18 psi. sorry for running sentences I'm typing this on my phone
Oh, no big deal. Did you see my question about what MPG you get with it?
Also, do you have a ceramic ball bearing turbo? The ceramic ball bearing with a billet or carbon fiber turbine will allow you to pick it up sooner and keep it for longer ya know
Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

carbon fiber turbine? What.....
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaroz18
Also, do you have a ceramic ball bearing turbo? The ceramic ball bearing with a billet or carbon fiber turbine will allow you to pick it up sooner and keep it for longer ya know
the guy asking about turbos is telling the guy with a 755hp turbo car.... about turbos.... Carbon fiber turbine sounds interesting, have more info on that?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want a carbon fiber turbine now...
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F110Mech
the guy asking about turbos is telling the guy with a 755hp turbo car.... about turbos.... Carbon fiber turbine sounds interesting, have more info on that?
It was just a suggestion. Troll somewhere else. I only ask about things I honestly am not sure of or don't know about. cerametallic turbines as well as billet and carbon fiber turbines are made. billet ones are easily made and found. A lot of the borg warner turbos use titanium turbines which are actually heavier than the billet ones.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crazyelf
carbon fiber turbine? What.....
Great lookin T/A man
Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroz18
No fancy stuff here. Just the budjet s475 with 96mm turbine, 1.32ar. 650 dollars. It does the job well and no issues. Love it.

MPG? Who cares lol. But seriously I filled it up and drove 140 miles round trip to do that Dyno run and only used a 1/4 tank.

As far as turbos I'd love to have the new billet etr 84mm lol. Be 1000+ with ease on a forged internal motor. Jose says that's a bad sucker for sure.

Rear exit exhaust be pushing to fit 3.5" thru kmember. We are about done with a customers car now and with a aftermarket tubular kmember (not sure brand) a 3.5 fits nice but he also has a 4" cut out straight off the turbo. I love mine out the bumper. Sounds wicked and turbo really talks but is still quieter than an N/A car with big cam. And mine has a pretty big cam. Turbos almost act like a muffler lol.

Last edited by mrstepheneades; 10-26-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Launching!

No fancy stuff here. Just the budjet s475 with 96mm turbine, 1.32ar. 650 dollars. It does the job well and no issues. Love it.

MPG? Who cares lol. But seriously I filled it up and drove 140 miles round trip to do that Dyno run and only used a 1/4 tank.

As far as turbos I'd love to have the new billet etr 84mm lol. Be 1000+ with ease on a forged internal motor. Jose says that's a bad sucker for sure.

Rear exit exhaust be pushing to fit 3.5" thru kmember. We are about done with a customers car now and with a aftermarket tubular kmember (not sure brand) a 3.5 fits nice but he also has a 4" cut out straight off the turbo. I love mine out the bumper. Sounds wicked and turbo really talks but is still quieter than an N/A car with big cam. And mine has a pretty big cam. Turbos almost act like a muffler lol.
Thats so sick man. I am on kind of the same budget with an 02 t/a ws6 m6 and the heads and cam are in the works soon. Around 2k for the custom matching cam and ported/polished heads. I can't wait to get the turbo and have it all fabbed up. You got lucky finding someone who was a pro fabber/welder. Any advice on finding a turbo like yours for a good price?

Unless I calculated that wrong, you got 40mpg?! holy ****
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

No man lol. Probably around 12 city and more than 20 mpg highway in top gear. You know how gas gauges work on cars the first half goes slow most of the time then bam your on e before you know it. Call Forced Inductions. I got all from them. David is a good fabricator. Has taught me how to tig and stuff now where I can do on my own. We even started a little business. Rock Solid Motorsports. Like us on Facebook to see the other 01Trans Am we are just about done with.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Yeah. I liked it on Facebook. I could only find one or two videos. I've wanted to open my own business for the longest time but I need extremely good people. It'll happen some day. Hoping to compete with hennessey and underground racing. Forced induction huh? Link?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsgarrett.htm

You got a long time to compete with underground lol.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Lol. Oh I'm aware. I'm currently in masters for engineering. I'll get there though. Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to keep up on all your stuff

Quick Reply: Turbo onto advanced induction N/A build?