Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

intake cooling methods

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intake cooling methods

I had a thread earlier about my intake temps at the track which went off on its own tangent and didn't really help me the original poster. When I Added the gt47 I deleted one of my wastegates because of the huge turbine housing on it. Boost control was still fine. But the plug I had used on the dump pipe had vibrated loose and was subsequently feeding hot exhaust into the engine bay heating everything up. Nothing close by to get damaged or cooked but I have fixed it and will do more logging to confirm. I am pretty certain this is the culprit though as we didn't have intake temp dramas like this in a 100F dyno cell.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

The reason for this thread is I am curious about anyone who has an A2A intercooler and added a meth kit after the intercooler and what sort of gains people have? I don't want to delete the intercooler entirely as my car is primarily a street car.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add meth???
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

water/methanol injection to clarify. and pre turbo or post intercooler
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it would help, it's just a question of how much. I think money could be better spent on a stronger bilge pump for the A2W than the extra money and headache of meth injection. Put it this way, when I went with an A2W, I sold my meth stuff.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 AM
Staging Lane

I have front mount Air to Air. Was wondering if adding water/meth injection would be a decent addition to drop iats even further since AIr to Air wont drop below ambient. If so would before turbo or after the intercooler be best. It Would be a proper high pressure water injection maybe 50/50 mix
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please do a search! i know its said a lot but the benefits, risks and issues with meth / water injection are frequently covered and some even post back to back results!

PS. glad you got the issue resolved. I cant see blasting the engine bay with exhaust gasses being too good for intake air temps.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can drop below ambient with air to air and methonol injection. The methanol evaporates at a very low temperature so in theory it can bring the temps down far enough that it it no longer able to evaporate. Depending on outside conditions, this can be well below ambient. Air to air itself can't bring temps below ambient.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StatoJase
I have front mount Air to Air. Was wondering if adding water/meth injection would be a decent addition to drop iats even further since AIr to Air wont drop below ambient. If so would before turbo or after the intercooler be best. It Would be a proper high pressure water injection maybe 50/50 mix
Yes it will reduce IAT (50 to 60* reduction is normal). If cooling is the only desired effect then use 100% meth when injecting. Adding water into the mix will not help IAT lower (water is more an active agent in the comb. camber). I have used Snow's stg 2 kit many time and it works great.

You will get many different opinions of the preturbo injection. My take on it is the cooling will be greater the longer the mist is in the boosted environment, i.e. preturbo would cool more, but it also comes with some risks based on the shape of the charge piping. I would never preturbo inject on a intercooled system. The last thing you want in meth collecting in the intercooler. Preturbo injecting will work (non-intercooled) but the potential risk to gain is not good. If I were in your spot, I'd inject pre TB and Post intercooler and call it a day. Either way good luck.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It usually cools my iat's down around 60 degrees with a single nozzle alky control kit. But never had it dynoed to see the difference with and without.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the constructive replies. My tune has been done safely without alky injection so if i got it, it would mainly be for cooling the iats. After seeing the log down the track I was a bit taken aback at how much timing was pulled due to the iats and how much power that would have taken away. Hopefully I can run another log soon to confirm the exhaust was the fault then decide if an alky kit would be something to get in the future.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there any other chemicals out there that, like meth, would give good cooling and add octane? Is there anything better than meth?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Are there any other chemicals out there that, like meth, would give good cooling and add octane? Is there anything better than meth?
nitrous injection?? !!!! and yes stato my new setup will be running a 50/50water/meth kit my tuner has seen some great results with it as I have seen from others from research!!! cheers
Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Water and method injection is so cheap and easy that I don't see any reason to consider anything else. Most cheap windshield washer fluids are a 50/50 mix and only cost a couple of bucks a gallon. A gallon would last you quite a while. As for the hardware, it can be had reasonably cheap. I've even seen people use the windshield washer fluid bottle and pump to save money and space.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't had the chance to take my stato out to log some iats since finding the exhaust problem so will wait till I can before I bite the bullet on a water/meth kit. I have run a 10.36 at 132 so I am pushing my luck running the street meets without a cage So I have to decide which way to go now, to race or just be happy with the quick street car. I believe there is a lot more left in my combo considering I haven't been getting any proper clean runs and it still keeps getting quicker. ittwgn what have you got in the works now?

Quick Reply: intake cooling methods