Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need a little input...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little input...

So I'm a new member to the forum. However i have been lurking and reading builds for quite a while. I have been working on my s10 project for about 2 years now piecing it together slowly. The overall goal of the truck is to run low 10's to high 9's in the 1/4 mile and still be streetable enough to drive to work on occasion in the warmer months.

This is my setup so far.

lq4 - stock bottom end other than arp bolts
ls9 oil pump
ls2 timing chain
cam - duration int. 286 ex. 286 @.050 int. 235 ex. 235 lift intake.651 ex .651
317 heads with double valvesprings - ebay head studs
edlebrock pro-flo xt intake
edlebrock fuel rails
102mm throttlebody
4l80
ford 8.8

My original plan was to run a single on3 88mm turbo. But now Im thinking i may want to go with twin on3 70's. I feel going with the smaller twins it should spool a little faster and make it a little more fun on the street. I think the cam I went with may be a little big and going with a slower spooling turbo is just going to make things worse.

Im also trying to figure out injector size and stall size. Im really hoping to finish this project or at least get it running over this winter.

forgot to mention i will be running pump gas most of the time which around my area is 91oct. i will be running 110oct at the track.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Cam does seem pretty big, but you might get away with twins. They can use a cam profile closer to a N/A engine. Mine is 236/239 .598/.610 112+6
My twins spool instantaneously with a 3200 stall and will make 800+rwhp as soon as I get a converter that holds. I'm using 1000cc high impedence bosch injectors with twin 044 pumps.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks calypso. What turbos are you running? What are you using for a convertor now?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by geisinger
Thanks calypso. What turbos are you running? What are you using for a convertor now?
I'm running PT6262s with I think .68ar. Converter is a single-disc from MPC (Midwest Performance Converter) which is now out of business. Its not holding the power, so I'm switching to a Circle-D, multi-disc, 3200 stall.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Teching In

ok thanks. i think i will stick with going twins then. i will most likely stay with the on3 turbos just based upon price and the reviews i have read. should i stick with the 70's? from what i've read the 76's may lag a little, making it not as streetable.

i was thinking of running a 3200 as well just wasnt sure if there was a particular brand i should go with. most of the guys in my area run the circle-d converters but none of them are running boost. most of them are n/a and a few run nitrous setups. 99% of them are also driving sbrc fullsize trucks.

also any other input on what i have going on would be great.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horrible cam. Did I read that right? 235/286 with .651 lift??? Who speced that thing? Way too much exhaust duration....and lift for such low flowing heads. No need for a HUGE cam with boost. Get something from a sponsor like VA speed who has several cams speced just for boost. Something smaller will drive better, make power earlier, and have less overlap. Best $400 you could spend on your build.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ninetres
Horrible cam. Did I read that right? 235/286 with .651 lift??? Who speced that thing? Way too much exhaust duration....and lift for such low flowing heads. No need for a HUGE cam with boost. Get something from a sponsor like VA speed who has several cams speced just for boost. Something smaller will drive better, make power earlier, and have less overlap. Best $400 you could spend on your build.
I think you read the post wrong. Looks like a single pattern cam, 235/235 @ .050
Old 10-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Yes it is a single pattern. Forgot to put 114 lsa.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Your build looks very similar to mine except I did the Holley Hi-Ram intake. I'm looking at turbos right now for twins as well and have kind of come down to two. T

he first is the on3 70mm which has been proven on here to spool well with both a 5.3 and 6.0 with the .68 ar and 64.5 mm turbine exducer. The other turbo I'm looking at is the CX Racing TRB-T67-P68 which has an almost identical turbine wheel as the On3's and is also available in a .68 ar. I have been trying to get a hold of CX to verify the 67mm spec is their compressors inducer because if its the exducer Ill be pissed since the inducer would likely only be 52ish mm.

If it is a 67mm inducer I think it should spool a tad faster and with a pair be able to push up to 1000hp worth of air. Not to mention they have free shipping and from ime to time are on sale for about 20% less than the On3 70's.

I'll let you know what I find out if I can ever get CX support to pick up the phone.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brother you will have no problem hitting 9's with that set up. I agree with getting a custom cam or just use a LS6 cam for now. I wouldn't even bother with the ARP rod bolts. Just run that bitch stock like I did. I ran 6.04 stock 6.0, 180,000 miles with my twin 70's. The On3 70's with .68 AR are some bad *** turbo's. Almost 2 years now with no issues. The spool is damn near instant. The right convertor and cam play a huge part in how well it spools. Twin 70's on a 6.0 should spool instantly. If not then the convertor, cam or tune is off.

As far as convertors I went with PTC. My PTC is still too loose and I need to send it in but even with it loose I went from a 6.88@100mph to a 6.31@118mph after the convertor swap. Now tell me a convertor isn't important. lol I run E85 and a Holley Dominator fuel pump so I can't tell you what injectors to go with for pump gas. However, a single A-1000 I would think would be more than enough. I was running twin A-1000's when I ran the 6.04 and just switched to the dominator. I haven't seen any difference except the dominator is louder. I still have one of the A-1000's for sale if your interested you can pm me. 1 would be plenty on 91 octane or race gas. Later as you upped the power you could just ad a second one.

Good luck you are going to love how much fun it is. I drive mine damn near 300 miles a week. I live in the country so I take my kids to school and pick them up in it daily unless the weather is total ****. I drive it to and from the track. Some tracks are over 3 hrs away. You will love it.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Teching In

thanks guys.

wicked69 i actually just read your build the other night. very impressive car. it really makes me want to get mine done.

im going to order the on3 70's this weekend. also hoping to order a stall this weekend. i would like to be able to get the trans bolted to the engine and back in the truck soon. my garage is very tight to work in, especially in the winter when the wife parks her car in there. so if i can get myself to the point of doing everything with the engine and trans in before snow flies it would help a lot.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Teching In

i was just checking out the circle d site. which converter should i be looking at for my application? i was looking at the high performance one, but $500 seems really cheap. should i be looking at the pro series ones?

Quick Reply: Need a little input...