Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need ideas for intercooler..D1sc

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need ideas for intercooler..D1sc

Alright so I'm currently just getting everything straight while saving my last few pennies for a D1SC. This is going onto a stock bottom end ls1 in my 99 Trans am SO therefore will only be pushing 6-8#.(at first )

Will I be fine using the twin 3.5 or 4.5 intercoolers?? Or should i upgrade to a FMIC?!

If a Front mount..DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO RUN ONE AND KEEP FOGLIGHTS IN STOCK LOCATION?! Im fine with cutting the bird out of the nose, but I love the fogs...anyone ever done this?
Thanks
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

do some research on the forced induction page. their are some nice stickies and thread with info . The fmic is best and yes you can keep the fogs but you need to make some brackets .

Look into getting an 8 rib setup right from the start. the 6 rib sucks pain and simple. Check into the sdce tensioned setup or the aster tensioner setup .

Also when you do this plan on running meth and a sd tune . I was dumb and had to pay for multiple tunes. I was maf tune , then a meth tune and then finally i maxxed out the maf and went sd and had to pay for different tunes.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
do some research on the forced induction page. their are some nice stickies and thread with info . The fmic is best and yes you can keep the fogs but you need to make some brackets .

Look into getting an 8 rib setup right from the start. the 6 rib sucks pain and simple. Check into the sdce tensioned setup or the aster tensioner setup .

Also when you do this plan on running meth and a sd tune . I was dumb and had to pay for multiple tunes. I was maf tune , then a meth tune and then finally i maxxed out the maf and went sd and had to pay for different tunes.

Oh yeah I have been researching it a lot...also basically stalking your threads along with a few other haha I've got a progressive devils own meth kit, and am going to be sure of the 8rib and whichever of those 2 brackets I can find cheaper.
I was hoping to get buy on a maf tune for a while.....at what point was yours maxed out, forcing you to go speed density?

I have seen alot of the threads about mounting the fogs and such, theres not a FMIC that is like....I dunno...different shaped or anything to keep them? haha
Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Also...at what point do the 4.5 twins become not enough intercooler and its a must to switch to a front mount system?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I was on 4 to 6 lbs and a msg tune was fine. not the best but worked. but once I went to ten lbs I needed to get rid of the maf. is want smooth after shifts and driveability suffered.

go sd tune from the start

no front mounts with keep the factory mounting of the fogs. You have to come up with a mount. but it's been done

I know their was a few guys making 7xx hp with the twin 4.5 intercoolers.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4.5's are good up to 12 psi from what everyone says, above that you will need to run meth. I have them and on 7psi 570 ish rwhp.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLAKE 01 WS6
The 4.5's are good up to 12 psi from what everyone says, above that you will need to run meth. I have them and on 7psi 570 ish rwhp.
Ok awesome so I guess the front mount isn't a must have for me at the beginning. I'm going to be running a meth/water mix for safety of cooling my pistontops no matter what,even at the start with only 5-7 psi

Quick Reply: Need ideas for intercooler..D1sc