Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Might buy this car but so many questions...help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Might buy this car but so many questions...help

Seller seems like a good guy on this site but he hasn't had the car for very long. https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ged-560hp.html
One thing I'm wondering...what's the maximum boost the turbo can produce?
Another...How much boost could this forged set up handle?
I just have no clue what to look for here. F/I is new to me.
For the record I know the rear end will need to be swapped before it sees any real track time. Was thinking S60 with a mild gear, maybe in the 3.42 or 3.73 area.
Any input you have please go for it. Don't feel like you're overstepping because I don't even know which questions to ask!
Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see any pictures of the turbo's, intercooler. It sure didn't sound like a turbo charged vehicle. If I was selling a turbo kit car I would have tons of pics of the turbo kit itself also.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

It's turbo. I spoke with the shop in Vegas that built it 7 thousand miles ago. The car is on their web site under customer's rides. They built the engine and did ALL of the work to the car, including the meth kit and dyno tune. The only discrepancy between what the seller has said and what the builder said concerns boost levels. Seller thinks the car is set on 10 lbs boost but shop said they set it at 5. The shop took their build instructions from the nephew of the prior owner who insisted they turn the boost down after seeing the numbers it made at 10 and 12 lbs. He was concerned his uncle would kill himself in the car. So they set it at 5 and told the uncle it was at 10. The intercooler can be seen behind the grill in the second set of pictures. It also appears as though the bov is ahead of the brake distribution block (or whatever that thing's called), coming off the intake pipe. Driver front corner.
I highly doubt it's a fake turbo set-up, but then again I guess there is nothing stopping someone from pulling the turbo and installing a straight piece of pipe in its place. I do trust the current seller to be honest. There's just a lot he doesn't know due to only having the car for a few weeks.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you trust him. I would at least look under there and find the turbo. Where was it located? I am cool with the boost thing that's no big deal. Probably a smart lie on their part.

FWIW-I had a 2001 Camaro SS and I loved that car. The pictures you posted show a very well maintained car. If it truly everything that is stated it is a steal. Especially if everything is forged as they say.

Good luck. It looks real nice.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Definitely forged. It's LEP's Forged 347. The shop owner barely remembered the car but everything came back to him once he found the records in his computer. Everything he told me matched. The seller included a copy of the engine build spec sheet which matched what LEP has. Bare in mind that LEP built the car more than a year ago and the car has crossed several states and changed owners at least twice since then. I guess maybe the middle guy pulled the turbo. I will ask about the turbo location and request a picture or two. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, I'm not sure how trusting I'd be if he's been on here since 2004 and has ZERO posts, so buyer beware. Also, if you are skeptical, it's probably for a good reason.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to give you my story I bought a 2000 SS with a twin kit on it. I called the shop that did the last work and the final tune, couldn't call the actual builder, to ask questions about it. I was told it was perfect and needed nothing and could be daily driven. Come to find out the manifolds on both sides of the motor are cracked and leaking. The downpipe runs too close to the motor mount and melted it and now the steering shaft is rubbing against the manifold. The drains are lower than the oil pan on the turbos so it smokes when you stop. The charge piping doesn't line up right and pops off under boost. I eventually just got tired of screwing with it and bought a Huron Speed single kit but that was almost 4 grand more into the car I was looking at getting in to. Just be careful and have someone other than the shop look it over, I learned the hard way on that.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2, Listen to these guys. Take someone that knows something about cars. A proper tuner would of removed any reason that the SES light was on but i'm sure a solid test drive would be in order. It is a nice looking well taken care of car though.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. We're on hold for a while anyway. Looks like the title is having some issues. Hmmmm. Looks like maybe the red one is worth the extra money.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Buying a used sports car is bad enough, and buying one that's been modded makes it that much more worrisome, but one with a sketchy background, with an SES light that's supposedly been tuned, and now a questionable title... don't walk, run away from that car.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed^
Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Understood. Thanks

Quick Reply: Might buy this car but so many questions...help