Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

02 LQ4 vs 04 LQ9 turbo build help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 LQ4 vs 04 LQ9 turbo build help

Hey guys, I have been around this forum for a couple of years now although most of my knowledge has been updated via a recent week long obsession to learn more. So, I thought I would finally register and ask questions specific to my build. It's not that I have not done my research or tried searching here, because I have! I have reached a point to where people's "facts" or oppinions aren't always the same so perhaps something specific to my situation might help clear things up for me.

I have a couple of local junk yards with ideal candidates for my build. Listed below are my comparisons between an 02 LQ4 and a 04 LQ9.

2002 LQ4 - $1500
Approx 80k
24x reluctor?
9.5:1
Will mate to a LS1 style t56 6 speed
Cable driven?

2004 LQ9 - $2000
Still waiting to hear back on mileage
24x reluctor as well?
10:1
Will mate to an LS1 style t56 6 speed as well
Drive by wire from what I hear...

My first question would be that if in fact the LQ4 is Drive by cable and the LQ9 is drive by wire, how interchangeable are the PCM and wiring?

My preference is toward the newer 2004 LQ9 as of now. Higher compression equals more FI horsepower as well as thicker rods. I will be switching to a sheet metal intake, new drive by cable throttle body, 80# Injectors etc but will I need to buy a PCM from a motor that was originally controlled by cable? Or can I have the PCM that was once drive by wire tuned for the cable driven setup?

As long as the mileage is fairly low on the LQ9, I will most likely lean for that which is where's question starts to get troublesome lol. Below is (from my research) an engine wish list of what I am planning to do. I guess my main question is to just list it out and have some one proof it to make sure it will work. Perhaps I have a incorrect understanding of said parts compatibility and need to do more learning or perhaps everything on a general basis will work.

2004 LQ9
L92 heads or....?
LS3 intake
90mm throttle body
80# Bosch Injectors
Twin GT45R 76mm turbos

I haven't decided on a cam, etc.

Another question is about my PTV clearance. I see a lot of threads on the LQ9 with flat tops running into problems with the large valves that the L92 heads have. But I also see most of those guys talking about their motors being NA and trying to raise the compression ratio, If I leave the stock deck height or whatever it's called and run a fairly thick gasket, will I run into the problems? Perhaps all this is counter intuitive when I chose the LQ9 for its half a point higher compression ratio? Where will I be at with that combo as far as my compression ratio?

Sorry for such a long thread, just trying to explain what I know so that people understand where I am coming from and possibly why I am asking.

Btw, this is going into a 1963 chevy nova, full frame, etc. motors pushed about 8 inches into the cowl.

Thank you!

James
Old 12-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump. Would love some info soon. Possibly buying a motor today. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 02 LQ4 vs 04 LQ9 turbo build help