Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger F-1A Cone Removal Question

Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Procharger F-1A Cone Removal Question

I am in the middle of rebuilding my headunit, and I can't seem to get the plastic cone off. Logic is telling me that it is threaded into the tip of the impeller with left-hand threads and then there was a bolt below that with standard right hand threads, which holds the impeller to the output shaft.

Earlier I was told that the plastic piece was just ribbed and pressed into the impeller, but I can't force myself to believe this is a good way to attach a piece of plastic (or any material) to the tip of an impeller turning at such high speeds.

Can anyone that has actually removed this cone before provide any guidance, please?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it screws on but I have read where one came off and went through the blower causing all kinds of damage. If it was me I would cut it off and leave it off.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68 SS
I don't know if it screws on but I have read where one came off and went through the blower causing all kinds of damage. If it was me I would cut it off and leave it off.
Yeah, I have heard of that too, but the only instances I've heard of was when they were fresh from the PC factory. From an airflow perspective, I would think this cone greatly improves the airflow to the impeller by providing a smooth path to the fins and preventing turbulence created by the air hitting a flat surface (face of the exposed shaft). Upon reinstallation I think I have just the trick to make sure it won't come off. Thanks for the heads-up though.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Now this has me wondering if it would benefit a D1SC to have a cone on the exposed shaft.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Now this has me wondering if it would benefit a D1SC to have a cone on the exposed shaft.
I would say that it would help... How much? Not sure, but I don't see it hurting anything (unless it comes loose haha). Just keep in mind that smoothing the airflow in this area definitly won't help as much as around the OD where the airflow velocity is much higher. Think bellmouth.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call procharger tech support.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
call procharger tech support.
Good idea. I thought they wouldn't be willing to help me out because I'm rebuilding my own headunit. For those wondering, the cone is slightly oversized and just pressed into the end of the impeller. The ID of the impeller is machined much like a barbed fitting, just opposite, so that once the cone is pressed in, it's a complete pain to get out and guarantees destruction. I'll be ordering another cone soon and will report back on the cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Procharger F-1A Cone Removal Question