Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Eboost2 and New engine break in questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Eboost2 and New engine break in questions!

Ok guys im close to starting my engine and have a few questions for some of the more experienced guys here..

I'm going to be breaking my new engine in using a base tune from the person I purchased the turbo kit from, very similar engine to mine..

I can either break the engine in on just the smallest wastegate spring (jgs 50mm) and just hookup the bottom port of wastegate to the turbo compressor housing and vent the top port of wastegate to atmosphere.

or since I purchased an Eboost2 should I just install it now like so (diagram attached) and just set the lowest boost setting I can...

I still need to play with the eboost2 to learn how to set it and whatnot, and I won't be going over 2k RPM's while I break it in but wanted to know if its smart to hookup the eboost now vs later after break in..

pros or cons?

thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails Eboost2 and New engine break in questions!-eboost2-setup.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just broke in my turbo motor with the 7# waste gate spring. My car wont build boost until after 3000 rpm, so it didn't really matter how I had it hooked up. While breaking in you need to vary the RPM, keeping it under 2k will not allow it to break in properly. Anther option is to not hook pressure to the BOV, this will allow boost to leak out before the intake.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Teching In

why do you want to baby it? why don't you just get it running, check temps, pressures etc on the dyno and start dialing in the boost you wanna run. if everything looks happy change the oil and hammer it
Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by locospl
I just broke in my turbo motor with the 7# waste gate spring. My car wont build boost until after 3000 rpm, so it didn't really matter how I had it hooked up. While breaking in you need to vary the RPM, keeping it under 2k will not allow it to break in properly. Anther option is to not hook pressure to the BOV, this will allow boost to leak out before the intake.
I see your point, my engine guy said to vary rpms between 1k-2k rpms

But have heard to drive it hard right outta the gate is better for ring seal..
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Top off the fluids, check the temps and seat the rings properly. There's no reason to keep it under 2k rpm like with old flat tappet motors.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lysergic
why do you want to baby it? why don't you just get it running, check temps, pressures etc on the dyno and start dialing in the boost you wanna run. if everything looks happy change the oil and hammer it
I won't be able to get a tune till after Christmas and the car is pretty much done now..

Just wanted to do the base tune now and get it started to make sure it works properly
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Then wait. Just do some heat cycles and preliminary driving to check for leaks or mishaps of any sort and then change oil. Hook up the boost2 and then wait for tune day to break it in.

Now if the base tune is close enough then slowly work your rpms and loads up til you get into boost. Use lowest setting spring you got. Do a few pulls like this to break it in abit then change oil and go get a tune
Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine together. Bled the coolant system. Took it up and down the road a few times to make sure no leaks etc. Double checked everything then let it eat 19lbs.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Hook up the eboost as the way you want it to be when the motor is finalized, and then drive with it off. Should be just WG boost and with a low spring you will hard pressed to see boost with normal driving.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Then wait. Just do some heat cycles and preliminary driving to check for leaks or mishaps of any sort and then change oil. Hook up the boost2 and then wait for tune day to break it in.

Now if the base tune is close enough then slowly work your rpms and loads up til you get into boost. Use lowest setting spring you got. Do a few pulls like this to break it in abit then change oil and go get a tune
Thanks, I will..
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Hook up the eboost as the way you want it to be when the motor is finalized, and then drive with it off. Should be just WG boost and with a low spring you will hard pressed to see boost with normal driving.
This is what I'm going to do, thanks

Quick Reply: Eboost2 and New engine break in questions!