Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 Corvette F I ?

Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Corvette F I ?

hey guys been thinking about putting an A&A kit on my 98 ls1, i'd like to know your opinion on doing it. my car currently has 93k miles on mn6 with LG pro long tubes stock 243 heads and ls6 intake also it has a 229ish cam on it making 396/386 on the dyno...

do you think it will be safe for me to put a blower at this many miles on my car ? if so how much hp do you think it will produce with my current set up.

and for those who think i should leave the car alone, what would my other options be if i wanted to be at 650hp range. I know i have considered selling the c5 and buying a c6 but the thought of another car payment just isnt what i wanted ... thanks guys
Old 12-13-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I built a single turbo kit for my c5 that had 103,000 on it . It did great for years 670hp 623 tq to the wheels on 14 psi.. I just recently sold the car to fund a drag week car but I run high mileage ls engines in my turbo Fairmont with 20 psi not to say there hasn't been problems but nothing to bad. A good tuner will keep it from scattering
Old 12-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Twin turbo c5
I built a single turbo kit for my c5 that had 103,000 on it . It did great for years 670hp 623 tq to the wheels on 14 psi.. I just recently sold the car to fund a drag week car but I run high mileage ls engines in my turbo Fairmont with 20 psi not to say there hasn't been problems but nothing to bad. A good tuner will keep it from scattering
my tuner suggest my mileage is too high to last.... my car has 93k miles ive had it since 60k started modding at 80 k previous owner was a lady and used it as a grocery getter.. definitely would want to do a compression test before doing it though, but do you think the motor has a chance of surviving?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing a cam at 80k miles is way more dangerous than adding a supercharger. You might need to find a new tuner.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure your tuner is a little worried. There's always chance of failure dealing with power adders . I ran a 6.0 with 179,000 with 20psi for a season until a flex bellow collapsed and blew a head gasket and bent a rod . . Like I said you never know. Those cars are actually more expensive out back with transmissions and cv axles and 3rd members being very expensive if you go aftermarket. And if you don't do you own work your really out more money. I always do my own work taking the motor out and building my own kit so it didn't bother me about the mileage on my car. But they work really well drag racing they're just expensive to build

Last edited by Twin turbo c5; 12-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Twin turbo c5
I'm sure your tuner is a little worried. There's always chance of failure dealing with power adders . I ran a 6.0 with 179,000 with 20psi for a season until a flex bellow collapsed and blew a head gasket and bent a rod . . Like I said you never know. Those cars are actually more expensive out back with transmissions and cv axles and 3rd members being very expensive if you go aftermarket. And if you don't do you own work your really out more money. I always do my own work taking the motor out and building my own kit so it didn't bother me about the mileage on my car. But they work really well drag racing they're just expensive to build
the car will be a DD and will have its occasional runs so i think maintaining it wouldnt be too hard would it?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine wasn't hard to maintain it was a daily driver too. But it can go wrong real quick. The trans is the weak link on those cars. I went back to straight axle cars alot easier and cheaoer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Corvette F I ?