Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing build man awesome work everything look saweeet.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome build very detailed. Impressive numbers for 19 psi! Im jealous of all that corn you have lol
Thanks for sharing can't wait to see it at the track!!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
Custom "Push Off" sticker
Damn that's a cool sticker.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Nice build man. Its crazy how similar our builds are. Even down to the writing on the windshield. Btw, I had that same cam in my 390. I got rid of it and had martin smallwood spec me a cam. He said id gain about 75rwtq under the curve vs the AES cam.

heres my build man

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-aliiive.html
Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM
8 Second Club

Too bad the GoPro died before anything good happened... Here's the video I got from my phone.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula

It is... I'd buy 2 in black right now if I knew where to get them
Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Only ERO's

I just got it back from the first dyno session. It put 880/946 down. Power is falling off around 5300RPMs though. I am guessing I am running into issues/limitations with the T3 turbines/housings. I am going to look into a few things in the Spring and then consider changing over to the T4 housings.

We will have to see what it puts down for ET's. I am afraid to run it across the scale. It is a full weight street car. Iron block, 4L80, twin turbos, 9", A/C, and full interior. It is going to be heavy. I haven't put a cage in so I am going to try some 1/8 mile hits and hopefully don't get told to leave. Once I get it to launch alright, I am going to try to run a full pass.
Still damn nice man.
She's probably 3800lbs. With that weight she is still going to roll the hell out. and be a fun street car. Most of these new cars are 4000lbs any way.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Teching In

awesome build, glad you shared. I'm sure if you had a t4 turbine side you would be able to push much further.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxvaz
i have mine torn down to install a different cam. new one has less duration, more lift, and should make more lowend power. i think you make good tq due to the smaller t3 housings. your #s sound great, and if its streetable, leave it
It will definitely get tested this Spring. I have talked to Precision already about the turbos. I will do some playing this Spring and then decide whether to upgrade or leave as is for the time being.

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Badass build! Saved it to my favorites lol
Thank you

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Amazing build man awesome work everything look saweeet.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Awesome build very detailed. Impressive numbers for 19 psi! Im jealous of all that corn you have lol
Thanks for sharing can't wait to see it at the track!!
Something just thrown together on Friday. It was a long day of typing. It is definitely nice to have corn available around here. The closest gas station is within 2 miles of my house and has E85. Hopefully we will see some times this Spring / early Summer.

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
It was a pretty sweet design you put together. It was a good idea for you to crumple up the one that came with the switch and throw it away.

Originally Posted by allout06
Nice build man. Its crazy how similar our builds are. Even down to the writing on the windshield. Btw, I had that same cam in my 390. I got rid of it and had martin smallwood spec me a cam. He said id gain about 75rwtq under the curve vs the AES cam.

heres my build man

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-aliiive.html
I have seem them in here and on FB. Will be curious to seeing your final results.

Originally Posted by ws6ed
It is... I'd buy 2 in black right now if I knew where to get them
Slow94formula made them and printed them off. I think they were a one of a kind thing. I don't think he will be printing more, but you never know.

Originally Posted by Heavy H.P.
Still damn nice man.
She's probably 3800lbs. With that weight she is still going to roll the hell out. and be a fun street car. Most of these new cars are 4000lbs any way.
It is definitely heavy.

Originally Posted by stbrn19
awesome build, glad you shared. I'm sure if you had a t4 turbine side you would be able to push much further.
I am sure we will find out at some point in the future. Probably not right away though.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome build and a greatly detailed thread.. You see 50 build threads a day pop up on here but you rarely see them finished and with numbers/updates.. Nice job on that.

Car is killer, no doubt it will be a bottom 9 sec car...every bit of 4000lbs race weight... But you put all good stuff in the car and that stuff is heavy.. Luckily you have the power to pull the weight and it will be reliable.

I have no doubt your exhaust system is killing it up top. Even with the cut out open, that section of y pipe before the cut out is choking it to death. I would do a true 3" dual system on it with dual cutouts (if you must have cut outs).

If that doesn't help your rpm issues and your t3 turbines are the next suspects... After that, I'd look into valve float possibilities.. Any idea of the weights on those crower rocker arms? You may need more spring to stabilize the weight of them.

I am very impressed with your build and its quality and attention to detail. I can't wait to see the updates.. Get it to the track and let er eat.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Another high HP car in Roch! I have to meet you and Steven some night, I'll bring some beer haha.

Car looks awesome
Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

curious to what transmission wiring issues you ran into? im swapping in an 80e too and dont want to run into the issues you did. what map sensor are you running? i have a DSX tuning 3 bar plug n play map
Old 12-29-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Awesome build and a greatly detailed thread.. You see 50 build threads a day pop up on here but you rarely see them finished and with numbers/updates.. Nice job on that.

Car is killer, no doubt it will be a bottom 9 sec car...every bit of 4000lbs race weight... But you put all good stuff in the car and that stuff is heavy.. Luckily you have the power to pull the weight and it will be reliable.

I have no doubt your exhaust system is killing it up top. Even with the cut out open, that section of y pipe before the cut out is choking it to death. I would do a true 3" dual system on it with dual cutouts (if you must have cut outs).

If that doesn't help your rpm issues and your t3 turbines are the next suspects... After that, I'd look into valve float possibilities.. Any idea of the weights on those crower rocker arms? You may need more spring to stabilize the weight of them.

I am very impressed with your build and its quality and attention to detail. I can't wait to see the updates.. Get it to the track and let er eat.
The exhaust is also something that will be looked at. I tried to use what I had laying around to get the car up and running before winter. I will be looking at a true dual setup.

Not sure on the Crower weights. I left that in the hands of the engine shop when building the engine.

Thank you for the good words. It will definitely get to the track. It was 40 yesterday, but -5 today! It is going to be a long winter. I am hoping to make it to the track in May.

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
Another high HP car in Roch! I have to meet you and Steven some night, I'll bring some beer haha.

Car looks awesome
Thank you. Good luck trying to get that Steven guy to drink some beer, but I am definitely interested!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Kind of light on the pics...I was looking forward to seeing more boxes.

Looks great, should be plenty fast.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allout06
curious to what transmission wiring issues you ran into? im swapping in an 80e too and dont want to run into the issues you did. what map sensor are you running? i have a DSX tuning 3 bar plug n play map
As I said right at the beginning of my thread, I will gladly speak my mind on problems/issues I had with my car, as well as what I thought of vendors. I find information like this is very useful when looking who to use.

MAP Sensor:
I honestly don't know what sensor is currently in the car. It is a 3-bar sensor. During my spending spree, I ordered what I thought was a "Delphi / GM 3 Bar Style Map Sensor - 12223861 - 16040749 (US Made)" from LSXTune (website). When going to install the sensor (about 9 months after I bought it), it turned out it wasn't the sensor listed above. I had done a search and it came up as a 3-bar sensor so I thought let's use it. I am not sure what it is but I am guessing some China knockoff piece of ****.

Name:  18723189-6C51-4383-BEB8-FD97DE4F3444_zpsnufav4ln.jpg
Views: 8719
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  4A4380DF-B662-4B88-8E52-14FDE99B48A9_zpspqwbywlv.jpg
Views: 8824
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  BD7C1AF0-600C-4E8C-B9BE-034B9F231CF3_zpsolk569th.jpg
Views: 8841
Size:  35.9 KB

When I had the car being tuned, we were having issues during the drivability portion of the tuning. Andy mentioned it seemed like the MAP sensor would get stuck on certain KPA values and wouldn't transition smoothly. He eventually put a 3-Bar sensor in that he had in his shop and it fixed everything. I have sent an email to LSXTune hoping for a refund or at least some sort of explanation. I understand it is my fault based on the amount of time before noticing it. Either way, I had to buy another one and I have a **** one sitting on my counter right now. Be careful what you buy. We will see how things turn out, but I would stay away from LSXtune (website).

Transmission:
Don't quote me on all of this as I heard it second hand and my understanding may be slightly off. Andy was on the phone talking to the vendors and then eventually explaining it to me. When I took the car to get tuned, I had a 4L80 segment copied in the tune through Andy and my startup tune. I only connected one speed sensor to the transmission. When Andy took the car down the road for the first time, he said it was locked in 3rd gear in any forward gear, and also the speedo read really high. He instantly figured it was something with the speed sensors.

My understanding is there are two ways to connect a 4L80 in an F-body.

1. You can run a 4L60 tune, install some relay, and only need one speed sensor to the transmission. I believe a good resource for this is LS1Tech username: slow67.

2. You can run a 4L80 tune, and need two speed sensors to the transmission.

I had Andy install the second speed sensor and everything worked fine.

What makes me mad about this, is why doesn't the vendor mention anything about this when selling the transmission. When talking to Jake's during ordering, they ask what the application vehicle is for the transmission. I thought this would have been the perfect time to ask/mention there are two ways to connect it. Or they could go as far as including some literature (aka instructions) when shipping the transmission. It was a little frustrating.

One other thing I ran into with the transmission (not a big deal, but I think it is something the vendors can learn from). During my install, I was wondering how to wire the transbrake. There were no wires and no paperwork when I got the transmission. I contacted Jake’s and they sent a nice and detailed Word document along with how they internally wire their transbrakes. The instructions were great and detailed. We had to add a pin to the transmission wiring harness (Pin J) and switch that with 12V. It would have been really nice to ship the instructions with the transmission or somehow mention them during the purchase. Again, something I think vendors can learn from.

I was really hoping to catch a sweet tax time special when ordering the transmission, but they had a long backlog (4 weeks) when I ordered my transmission. I had not heard anything in 5 weeks and decided to look into that. The build eventually got started, and I received the transmission about 7-8 weeks after ordering. Within a week of receiving my transmission, there was a sale because things were slow there. Frustration! Everybody likes saving a few bucks, but I understand that is life. I was a little pissed how there was no tax time special, as there were in previous years, because they were so busy. I end up getting my transmission after twice as long as it should have been and then they offer a special because things are slow. My advice to vendors is tell the truth when specifying lead times. I would rather hear 10 weeks and have it take 8. Most people have their minds made up prior to finding out lead times. It really helps scheduling when the original dates are met.

One more bit of advice for tonight: I hear a lot of vendors complain about a lot of questions they get and how much time that takes on the phone (not pointing fingers but in general). Some of these things can save a lot of time on the phone if the proper information is passed along when making a transaction. But I must say, Jake's has great customer support. When looking at their website, call the shop number. I almost always had somebody answer when calling. They were also pretty prompt when responding to questions via email. I would gladly use them again in future projects and recommend them to anybody!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA

Thanks Nate. I should have taken more pictures of the boxes and boxes of parts I had stacked up in one stall of the garage.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Im pretty sure the relay usage is for a 98 model car. As for the speed sensor, I was told you can use the speed sensor from the M6.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good josh, glad to see you got it back.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA

Who needs build pictures when there's burnout videos (to come)?! Lol
Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running a standard T3 housing or the T3 v-band housing?

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car