Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E85/Meth=How much Octane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85/Meth=How much Octane?

I am just curious. I know that E85 is roughly between 101 and 105 octane depending on what the percentage is. I also realize that it acts closer to 112 octane because of the cooling properties of the ethanol. However, most set ups that run meth injection do so when using 87,91, or 93 octane. Not all set ups, but most seem to when you search. I would like to know if anyone has any octane numbers if using E85 as your fuel and its actually 85 percent ethanol, and adding 100 percent M1 injection?

It seems most who run E85 do not run meth injection but I am not going to run an Intercooler and am going to run the meth. It would be nice to know what my octane will be when running the E85 and spraying 100 percent meth or 85 percent meth and 15 percent water?

Anyone know?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Meth and e85 is like wearing 2 condoms. Not necessary, even without an intercooler.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Busa_rob
Meth and e85 is like wearing 2 condoms. Not necessary, even without an intercooler.
I have heard this before but I still plan to use it and was just curious what it would make the octane. I have heard the number 116 thrown around but just wanted to know for my own knowledge.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run both.
stock 5.3 21psi and 20deg timing with no issues.
had some pretty jacked tunes when first started and seen very lean conditions and never nipped a piston..
I would say around 109-111.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
i run both.
stock 5.3 21psi and 20deg timing with no issues.
had some pretty jacked tunes when first started and seen very lean conditions and never nipped a piston..
I would say around 109-111.
what kind of et's?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

I run all 3, e85 ,intercooler and 70% meth 30% water spraying straight into turbo and two nozzles before t/body !!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find out the percentage of meth that is going in vs E85. Should he pretty easy to do the math from there.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Busa_rob
agreed lol... you way over think things delbert.. leave well enuf alone.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by van383
agreed lol... you way over think things delbert.. leave well enuf alone.
Ha ha. You know I always got to try and get a little more. lol
Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

times in sig. thing took a lil time to light off.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

By definition, alcohols have no octane rating since it's a measurement of the amount of 'octane', which is a 8 carbon hydrocarbon. But they can compare the value of anti knock resistance in comparison to standard gasoline. Semantics, sure, but it's being more accurate.

Here's a good article about octane and alcohols.

http://www.racegas.com/article/11

I miss working with the guys over there at Sunoco Race fuels.... cool bunch of guys and really smart.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Ha ha. You know I always got to try and get a little more. lol
Well by adding meth and taking ic off is not the way to start.

For starters your taking a already fabbed set-up and having to re fab for no IC. Do not say i have all my old stuff as it still silly to do!

Your car runs plenty cool with IC in its location and all it is doing is helping cool the charger going in TB before the e85 hits it.

Adding the meth in adds another mech devise that can fail when you do not want it to, plus alwways topping off fluid to run in tank, more weight to car with all that needed..

I suggest starting with figureing out do you want a street car or a race car as some things will not allow the other when gains are wanted to be achived.

1-Rear gear needs to be picked and left alone/and tire, and then conv send back for a blade change based on shift extension results.

2-Head swap would be another advantage for more HP costly but will yield gains. (Being i did not do heads i would like to see the true seat pressure they setup at) Call me on this i will not post numbers needed.

3-weight weight weight>>> put that car on a diet, free HP!!!

4-Cam well Martin did it so it should be close(lol) hope he reads this...

5-Listen to me lol!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The quote from the alchemist. Apparently i cant quote **** on my garbage phone.

^^ this. And meth on top of e85 with no ic can net some huge gains...

Last edited by smokeshow; 12-31-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokeshow
^^ this. And meth on top of e85 with no ic can net some huge gains...

Your agreeing with my post, but yet saying it will yield huge gains buy taking IC off and adding the Meth?

-Your saying big gains are yielded assuming what? he will be adding timing or boost?

-Adding boost is great if you have the Fuel setup for it, and he can do that now by not doing a thing if a few things will allow it..

-Adding timing is great if plugs are allowing you to do so and read safe..

So by adding the meth your assuming he will do both these?, i feel can be done on current setup with same results, given some things are in line to do so..
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

No, not your post. The one above it. I'm not assuming anything. I did not say anything about removing an intercooler. If you'll read again, I said that with no intercooler, methanol can be beneficial. Most of what you posted had nothing to do with what I mentioned lol. Are you mixing my post up with another one?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just wanted to find the octane. I am not spending any money on the car this year. I am pulling the IC. Plenty of guys running fast times on street cars with no IC. Extra weight and not needed. If she blows, she blows.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

I just wanted to find the octane. I am not spending any money on the car this year. I am pulling the IC. Plenty of guys running fast times on street cars with no IC. Extra weight and not needed. If she blows, she blows.
Sad you think this way....
Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Sad you think this way....
Wicked69 is removing his IC because it is looking like a possible bottle neck in his system.

He is running only 8.5 compression...So with e85 + meth and a good tune he will be more than safe and if the IC is a bottle neck he will be making more power as well as being safer than just heating up air boosting against a restriction.

Since it sounds like he is not wanting to spend anymore money on it right now.
Removing his IC and putting his old cold side back on and running e85/meth is a low cost option for removing his possible bottle neck and increasing his performance.

If in fact the IC is his bottle neck, he can always upgrade to a larger IC or a A2W IC when his piggy bank is bulging.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Based on this quote and original there was no mention of a concern of a bottle neck in system and would doing this be a benefit on power.

I have worked directly with Delbert and this combo/tune.. yes there are some things that could be changed. I gave my thoughts as to why i felt there was no need for giving up the IC and introducing another means of a possibale failure to accure based on tuning assuming your meth is working.

Hey if he wants to try it he will im sure, but to do and compare needs to be apples to apples with no other changes in tune and or conv,gears,weight etc.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Based on this quote and original there was no mention of a concern of a bottle neck in system and would doing this be a benefit on power.

I have worked directly with Delbert and this combo/tune.. yes there are some things that could be changed. I gave my thoughts as to why i felt there was no need for giving up the IC and introducing another means of a possibale failure to accure based on tuning assuming your meth is working.

Hey if he wants to try it he will im sure, but to do and compare needs to be apples to apples with no other changes in tune and or conv,gears,weight etc.
No problem...

The thread about a possible bottle neck is here...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-68-81-a.html

I was just pointing out the reason he was wanting to get rid of the IC.

Quick Reply: E85/Meth=How much Octane?