Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

THE LIST-Top 10 STOCK BOTTOM END LSx(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maintaining a list like this is a nightmare because of all the different derivations that everyone wants to use to single them out. Stock is defined as what? Does changing ring gaps count? What about just re-torquing rod bolts? What about disassembling the block and cleaning up oil passages? How do you check it? Honor system?

Then you want all the different block derivations, gen3 block v3 gen4, iron vs aluminum, stock vs aftermarket heads, what about ported stock heads, what about hand ported vs cnc ported....

This is no different that the other 'leader' lists out there. Fastest cam only etc etc.

Fact is this, LS motors can make a lot of power even in stock form. How much, and for how long is unclear. It comes down to how far you are willing to push it.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Maintaining a list like this is a nightmare because of all the different derivations that everyone wants to use to single them out. Stock is defined as what? Does changing ring gaps count? What about just re-torquing rod bolts? What about disassembling the block and cleaning up oil passages? How do you check it? Honor system?

Then you want all the different block derivations, gen3 block v3 gen4, iron vs aluminum, stock vs aftermarket heads, what about ported stock heads, what about hand ported vs cnc ported....

This is no different that the other 'leader' lists out there. Fastest cam only etc etc.

Fact is this, LS motors can make a lot of power even in stock form. How much, and for how long is unclear. It comes down to how far you are willing to push it.
I asked that question in my initial post-and it seems people agree that a OEM bottom end+rod bolts is the extent of the real rules for a JY list. If someone has a ported stock, or aftermarket head-it is noted. Anything out of the "norm" is noted. I cant help if someone lies or is cheating-but I would think people would call BS if something seems amiss.

Considering that so many people are switching too JY LS builds from their current BBC/SBC/FORD set ups-I think this list is more than necessary. IMO-what's more meaningful to the general population of LS1Tech; the top 10 LSx powered cars which are 100k builds, some with full race teams..ect, or the top 10 Stock block LS cars?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3parts
BW588@20psi
stock l92's
stock ly6
232/240 115lsa cam
th400

from his post
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-59-156-a.html
Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by stock48
My car has actually never been on a dyno the 900 SAE hp was from my 4x4 truck with a cast Garrett GT76 at 20 psi.

I saw that-but I thought it was basically the same motor set up that you then transplanted into the other car as noted in your thread? I will send you a PM to save confusion.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver_82
You can throw mine in there too.
LM7 5.3, twin 66s, glide, 3250lbs
5.49@128
8.55@159.5
Nice! Cams? Headwork? Are those BW 66's? PSI#? Ever Dyno?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Stock bottom end lq4 afr205 heads brute speed blower cam f1a procharger 14psi 782rwhp 3740 race weight 9.05@151
Attached Thumbnails THE LIST-Top 10 STOCK BOTTOM END LSx(s)-time-slip-1.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stmz28
Stock bottom end lq4 afr205 heads brute speed blower cam f1a procharger 14psi 782rwhp 3740 race weight 9.05@151
Already had you on there.

Thanks for the slip! You are currently the fastest stock bottom end blower car, AND fastest stock bottom end F Body!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Nice! Cams? Headwork? Are those BW 66's? PSI#? Ever Dyno?
224/230 cam
ported 243 heads
Bw s366 turbos
25.5 psi

Only dyno'd it once. On 14psi made 685whp.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Added some 4.8ers to the list
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My c5z made 772/767 on what was actually 16lbs of boost. stock bottom end l33 5.3. Rear mounted.

Motor:
5.3 L33
stock bottom end
LS6 cam
799 heads
ls1 intake/tb
ls9 head gaskets
arp headstuds
ls7 lifters
dual gold springs

Turbo:
precision billet 7175 .81 ar
treadstone 1300hp vette style intercooler
tail wastegate
tail bov
aem wideband
boost gauge
2.5 bar map
MM boost catch can
aem meth kit/klotz race fuel concentrate/92oct
3inch stainless hot side wrapped
3in cold side aluminum.
Vibrant VanJen v band Clamps
c5z exhaust manifolds
Upp fuel kit
80lb injectors
turbowerx exa return pump.

drivetrain will be stock m12/ stock 3.15 3 rib
Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

we will be doing 20-21lbs this month hen we get some dyno time.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost 3 years ago, we made 786 rwhp on a stock LS6 bottom end in V-series techs' 00 FRC. It did have AFR 205s, but it was on pump gas and would have made more if we hadn't run out of fuel. Twin precision 67s at 12 psi.
Here's a link to the thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...light=786+rwhp
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZGLASS
we will be doing 20-21lbs this month hen we get some dyno time.
Nice! Why did you pull the LS6 btw?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Almost 3 years ago, we made 786 rwhp on a stock LS6 bottom end in V-series techs' 00 FRC. It did have AFR 205s, but it was on pump gas and would have made more if we hadn't run out of fuel. Twin precision 67s at 12 psi.
Here's a link to the thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...light=786+rwhp
Great numbers (even if it was on a superflow)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice! Why did you pull the LS6 btw?
my 6k miles ls7 top end 403 dropped a valve and took out a piston.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Great numbers (even if it was on a superflow)
I'm not sure I follow?
You'd be the first to ever question the superflow.
It should put you at ease to see we use a dyno jet correction factor, just to make sure the numbers that come off our dyno will be similar to those generally accepted by the intrawebz.

IMO, it was making better power than that, as evident by the time I was riding in it and we chased an 800+rwhp ford GT out of a local meet. He had to peddle the Vette a few times to keep from rear ending the ferd as we chased him onto the highway, then as soon as we got a clearing in traffic we pulled along side him easily. This was with the stock based fuel system that was done by 5700 rpm or so, thus he was short shifting at about 5500 in each gear.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

....and this kind of 'discussion' is why this list really doesn't mean much. Different dynos, different correction factors, etc etc etc it's impossible to say that your specific dyno run is better or more than someone elses on a different dyno, on a different day.

Back before I put my blower on, I dyno'd my old heads and cam setup which consisted of a set of hand ported 853 heads and a tr224 cam. I dyno'd at a local dyno which happened to be a dynocom dyno. I didn't realize how off or different it was compared to a dynojet until I got a dyno sheet saying I made 468rwhp and 460 torque.
That has to be the highest torque ever from a stock cube ls1, except that I don't beleive the numbers.

See my point? We all know the ls-series motors handle boost fairly well, and it's a balancing act between how high you want to push it, and how long it'll stay together. That line is somewhere between 600-800hp. I'm sure if you wanted to be top of this list, you could run a ton of boost in a manual trans car with lighter wheels and drivetrain, spray a ton of methanol/water and make north of 800-900rwhp, hell, you might even hit 1,000rwhp, but it's not going to last long like that.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
....and this kind of 'discussion' is why this list really doesn't mean much. Different dynos, different correction factors, etc etc etc it's impossible to say that your specific dyno run is better or more than someone elses on a different dyno, on a different day.
I agree-to a point.

Dyno.com/superflow and dyno packs dynos notorious to read high. Dynojets are fairly consistent across the board-the only difference is correction factor. Mustang Dynos usually read low, but can be easily manipulated to read high.

But-if you question all of that and just cant get over it-look at the ET/Weight list.

Again-no list will ever be perfect in everyone's eyes. But with the entire car community wondering where the limit is with JY LSx motors, and what does or does not work there needed to be a more clear and concise list for people to consider. Some people what to know who is at the top-so they know what they will need to do to take them down. After all, no one builds a car to finish in second place.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I agree-to a point.

Dyno.com/superflow and dyno packs dynos notorious to read high. Dynojets are fairly consistent across the board-the only difference is correction factor. Mustang Dynos usually read low, but can be easily manipulated to read high.
You should do a Lot more dyno research before you start spouting off facts

Superflow does not belong grouped with the dynocom and dyno dynamics. Also, the only dyno dynamics I have dealt with reads about 25% lower than local dyno jets, so your theory there is way off.

Superflow is the industry standard for horsepower measurement. Period. They were doing it long before your favorite DJ existed, so how in the world could they be the standard????

Don't get me wrong. I hate dynos as they are being discussed here. If it were up to me, trap speed is all that would ever matter, but unfortunately this car never made it down the track in that config.

Unless you have way more time working ON actual dynos, it would seem your theories are based on 2nd and 3rd hand accounts from those who simply don't know. As my day job has me actually working with actual dynos, and dealing with tuners all over the world, all of whom use different dynos, I feel I have a bit of a sturdier leg to stand on here

Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
You should do a Lot more dyno research before you start spouting off facts

Superflow does not belong grouped with the dynocom and dyno dynamics. Also, the only dyno dynamics I have dealt with reads about 25% lower than local dyno jets, so your theory there is way off.

Superflow is the industry standard for horsepower measurement. Period. They were doing it long before your favorite DJ existed, so how in the world could they be the standard????

Don't get me wrong. I hate dynos as they are being discussed here. If it were up to me, trap speed is all that would ever matter, but unfortunately this car never made it down the track in that config.

Unless you have way more time working ON actual dynos, it would seem your theories are based on 2nd and 3rd hand accounts from those who simply don't know. As my day job has me actually working with actual dynos, and dealing with tuners all over the world, all of whom use different dynos, I feel I have a bit of a sturdier leg to stand on here

Thanks
We can talk about my dyno experience via PM if you like, but I would put $1000 on the fact that I have strapped down any dyno'd more Corvettes than anyone whom has posted in this thread thus far. my industry experience reached much deeper than that-but again I don't want to clutter up this thread.

Opinions are like ***-holes Mike. That's why this list is 2 fold-to at least try to cover all bases. Even the MPH/Weight can be "skewed" by track prep, driveline type (Auto/M6) wheel/suspension set up....ect. Neither list would ever be perfect, ever. They never are. But until now the list simply did not exist. Now at least we have a base to work with.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

More 4.8's added. Surprised no one has really pushed one since that Hot Rod article

Quick Reply: THE LIST-Top 10 STOCK BOTTOM END LSx(s)