Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They must have never heard of changing their oil
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickkris2006
Damn I haven't seen a motor that sludged up in a while. I would take it completely apart and have it all put threw a hot tank
yup, thats the plan going to my buddies machine shop this weekend, the trans case and all the engine parts are going to be put into the wash. first they gotta go to the car wash though lol, this thing is sludged pretty bad but it should be okay, bearings and everything look practically new, these engines are just crazy
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

A good layer of sludge will keep it greased up pretty good I guess
Old 03-03-2014, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

anybody have anywhere that sells mild steel bends, i checked out mandrel-bends.com columbia river i belive, but shipping is killing me, they want 80 bucks to ship a kit puts it at like 230 bucks, seems like that may be my only option but anyone have any other spots to check?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check ebay. I buy most of my mandrel bends from them now. summit racing sells u bends for really good prices and you can cut them up and make pretty much any angle you want. cheaper than buying multiple bent pieces
Old 03-10-2014, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

not really a whole lot to update on, ordered a transbrake and converter on ebay, decided to go with a 3400-3700 stall and the brake kit for the th400, cant use the brake yet because of the stock 9bolt rear, but it will be fun just for loading up the two step lol.. those parts as well as gaskets for the engine and cam bearings because the ones I got from the guy were the late style so too big.. also spending a LOT of time degreasing things, pistons rings etc are all caked with crap, gapping the rings to .028-.030. Also ordered up my pipes from summitracing, got 3 ubends and 3 j bends for now, we'll see how that works out.. should be getting the engine and trans back together and hopefully in the car for some mock up here in a couple weeks.. need to slow down a bit on spending the ol' lady decided it was time to book a vacation to the domican republic next december so have to divide up some of the car money now
Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

Aww ****! Curt helping you out with this build? I'm slowly getting back into building my 6.0/S480 build. Hope we can both get em out this season and tear up woodward! Sucks about that engine! I did the same thing, my shortblock was nasty so I picked up another shortblock for cheap. Looks good so far!!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shawnc16
Aww ****! Curt helping you out with this build? I'm slowly getting back into building my 6.0/S480 build. Hope we can both get em out this season and tear up woodward! Sucks about that engine! I did the same thing, my shortblock was nasty so I picked up another shortblock for cheap. Looks good so far!!
ive been talking to him a little bit about some stuff, but mostly on my own with this lol, i dont know if you know josh B. or not, but he has been giving me a lot of advice as well.. its coming along nicely, should be ready by summer, I was planning to have it wrapped up and driving by may, but thats not happening, hopefully by june for the meet and greet at bakers though.. either way still have the other car to cruise in..
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

I have a June/July timeframe as well but with a Ford 9" added to the bill. This project got way more expensive than I had originally intended. What converter did you go with?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I have a June/July timeframe as well but with a Ford 9" added to the bill. This project got way more expensive than I had originally intended. What converter did you go with?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-9-5-RACING-TORQUE-CONVERTER-NOS-BLOWER-TURBO-C-STALL-3400-3700-/111122076339?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19df6452b3#ht_4057wt_739
figured I couldnt really go wrong, antibalooning and all for 350, sure beats spending double that. on name brand, my other car i have a jegs brand that was like 280-300 and that has performed really well, well see how it does. im trying to keep it in a decent budget but still do the things i need to do
Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Ya never know til you throw in there and let it rip. I have a 9" housing for a 3rd gen Im trying to get rid of. It needs new shock mounts and the torque arm welded on. Brand new moser housing. It came outta the car that Curt bought which I think you had the rear wheels on your car. Not sure if you're interested or not but I'd be willing the let it go for pretty cheap. I dont need it.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Ya never know til you throw in there and let it rip. I have a 9" housing for a 3rd gen Im trying to get rid of. It needs new shock mounts and the torque arm welded on. Brand new moser housing. It came outta the car that Curt bought which I think you had the rear wheels on your car. Not sure if you're interested or not but I'd be willing the let it go for pretty cheap. I dont need it.
I'd be interested, I messaged you on Facebook I think it was the right person anyways lol stupid forum names.. Just let me know ball park price and a few more details on the welding it needs etc, I could get that done I need a 9inch anyways I was looking into getting a quick performance one eventually but moser will work
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Posted the following over in transmission also but figured if ask here incase anyone wants to chime in

Okay, quick question bought a stage 2 kit from jakes performance good service there, question is on the transbrake install, I'm putting in the transmission specialties transbrake and they are having you do the dual feed mod also take the second seal off the center support. Are the valve bodies in the tbrakes usually modified so that you don't have to plug the case like it suggest on jakes website for his dual feed mod because the instructions don't say anything about it at all

I would ask them but it's hard to get ahold of them because of my hours at work
Old 03-13-2014, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

okay got ahold of someone at transmission specialties today, nice guy, he says that it doesnt matter about plugging the case and they actually never even take the seal off the center support just take the seal off the driect drum basically doing the same thing.. so now once i figure out what i need to do to compress the new clutch pistons i can get the rest put together and start putting the engine together, hoping to having engine and trans in the car this weekend and possibly starting mock up of exhaust and wiring stuff.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Not really a whole lot going on lately, just figured id do a quick update, had some serious issues with the cambearings I was putting in, the front 3 bearings were extremly tight to the point where the cam would not even slide through them, even after taking them out of the block, so I ordered up a set of some sealed power bearings and slapped them in, Good to go now, so I can finish putting the short block together gapped the first and second rings to .028 and ball honed the cylinders.. and the trans is pretty much buttoned up, just have to get a few small things.. on another note Have to tear apart the DD and put a clutch in, 2006 cobalt SS, which might slow this car down a bit, need to send in the ZZP trans mounts to have new bushings put in, Need some time to recoup a little money also LOL but still on track to hopefully have this sucker done in a few months.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

another boring update today, got my headstuds and billet motor mounts in this week, hoping to finish putting the engine together and get her dropped in for some mock up this weekend, nothing really interesting going on lately, except the trans I build doesnt have third gear put it in the other car I have temporarily and something got missed, trans brake holds at first as it warms up i get no transbrake but first and second work great.... hoping its something simple guess we will see.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

well this build just got into the slow lane

found out that I will be having a little one towards the end of the year, looking forward to it and do not plan to stop with the build but oviously will have to slow down on the build progress quite a bit, plan is to hopefully have this sucker done by the fall I really dont have too much left to buy except for fuel system stuff will be getting the AEM engine controller from a buddy here hopefully this weekend.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

new update my older cars motor locked up over the weekend, thinking the rod bearings finally gave up after about 3 years of of 7k rpm shifts on stock rods and bolts in my 327 build. time to throw a cheap short block together and sell that car and get moving on this build..

got my 317s put on with the ls1 gaskets, head studs didnt break tourqed them to 55 ft lbs, anyone think that will be enough? studs seemed okay but some of the nuts appeared to be drilled off center lol

Also had an interview for a local liquid propane injection company last week, if that goes good, this build may get interesting with some different testing of alternative fuels..

will be staring hotside mock up soon, staytuned.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

figured id post up the pictures also, not much interesting though.

Anyone got any links to an oil pan pickup combo that has a port for oil drain in it already or do you have to drill and weld no matter what you get. have a truck pan now but think im going to have to get a shorter style.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

the gm musclecar pan is nice about 1.5 shorter than the truck pan. and it comes with everything pan,gasket,bolts pickup,windage tray,dipstick, oil filter adapter. all for about $130.00. at dealer.

i drilled and tapped my front cover on the pass side near that lower round casting mark and used a 1/2 pipe thread tap .and a 45* fitting to convert to an fittings. just make sure you dont drill on top of one of the oil pump bolts. if you pop off the cover you will see where you can drill it.

looks like its coming along good. i have been tuning mine . love it.

Quick Reply: 89 RS turdgen JY 5.3 WE HAVE BOOST (tuning in progress)