Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

What are the offsets on those front wheels? I ground the 4 piston caliper a tad and installed a 1/4" spacer on my FC. Rolled the fender a bit with a bat. and it ended up being pretty flush and clearing the brakes just fine.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phish806
I am totally open for ideas and critique. I believe that's the point of a build thread - to see others ideas and opinion. Maybe someone will suggest something that i have not thought of.

That being said, I believe the mufflers are Thrush mufflers. They were what came on the original swapped car that i bought. I will have to look into it and confirm thats what they are though.

Honestly i have not given much thout to the muffler setup on the car. Something i have overlooked for power gains.
If they are thrush then they are thrush welded......which are a chambered muffler copied from the flowmaster design. Chambered style give you the great tone, but do not flow as well as a straight through style muffler. Do you tune your own combo? If so, then its not a big deal. You can mod the tune if you decide to change. If you're paying someone to tune it, I would suggest a change before you tune, so you know you are getting the most out of your combo/tuner. Again, not being critical, just trying to give info you may find useful.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Here's some info for you. Look at the exhaust path
Chambered style muffler

Straight through style
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Really good work man. Also love how the rx8 looks with the lsx. we have a local with an lsx boosted rx8. Keep up the great work
Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Launching!

The original offset of the draglites were 1.75 backspace. Not ideal i know. I was also running the samw 1/4" spacer that your running.

The new wheels are 2.25 backspacing. that will help a ton. however i would like to not have to run the spacer anymore either.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Weld makes a 17" skinny that clears the stock T2 calipers while fitting under the fender. I dont think they list them but they can be made if you call em up.

Cars looking damn good btw!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Launching!

A small package showed up today. Lets hope it makes a big impact.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Well i have not had ANY time to work on the car the lat couple weeks. Bought a new home and i am trying to get the place some fresh paint. Also insulated, sheeted, and rewired the garage to get ready for some heat in it. While i have been busy on the house, i have been trying to track down a rear end with some different gearing for the RX7. I am looking for a 3.08 gear to go with the new trans. I am getting tons of people with 2.73 and 3.27s coming at me wanting to sell them. I suppose that if i cant find a 3.08 local, then i will go with the 3.27 option.

I also found a set of single caliper pistons for the front so my wheels with clear the caliper. They were extremely hard to track down. They only came on one model of car that was five lug. (the ironic part is that they originally came on my car - i had upgraded the fronts to the better 4 piston brakes). They should be here in a few days, then i can get the new wheels and tires mounted up to see how they they look and how fitment is.

Coils - I believe i have decided to go ahead with the relocation behind the firewall and under the dash. There is no bracket i can come up with in the engine bay that i like and or looks good.

Boost controller - still needs installed. I bought a Innovative MSBC-1 boost controller from a friend. I am hoping it will do the trick.

Fuel system - I still need to buy the fuel system. This should be ordered soon, most likely once i get the trans in. I believe I Will be going wit the FIC injectors, adding another AEM 320LPH E85 pumps, and use a Fuel Lab regulator and filter.

Anyway, i obvioulsy have the car on the brain since the weather is starting to get nice out. I figured i would do a little sum up of whats left and what still needs to happen.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:26 PM
Launching!

I finally found a bit of time to work on the car. I pulled the brakes and painted the calipers now that you can see them through the new wheels. I should be able to get them back on the car tomorrow. I bolted up two of the wheels quick like to get a visual. Fitment is great and they dont look half bad. Ifi can find the time tomorrow as well, i will work on the trans going into the car. I am hoping to get the car done and running by the end of the month. Its a lofty goal but soemthing to shoot for.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me rikey.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good man.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Thanks fellas. I just placed an order today for my rear gears as well. I decided to ditch the 3.73 gears and went with a 3.15 gear. It should work well with the new trans and turbo setup. Another perk is the better RPM for highway driving.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Launching!

I got the transmission bolted up into place tonight. I am goign to rebuild my trans mount. The one that was currently in the car would work, but its not my work and i do not like how someone else created the mount. So, i will try and get a new one made tomorrow or the next day. I should have it installed and the converter bolted up soon. I will shoot some pics then. One all that jazz is done then its measure up for the driveshaft to be made along with drop the rear out to have the new 3.15 gears installed. It should be a busy week and weekend. Hopefully I can make some good progress.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I started on the new trnas mount. Got it bent up and a couple gussets installed. I need to test fit it and see how big of gussets i can put on the inside bends. If i dont have room i may need to get a little creative to strangthen them up. Progress so far:

Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I love this build
Old 04-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Launching!

I did a test fit of the new trans mount last night and it fit perfectly. Today i added a few gussets to the inside. Now all i need to do is POR-15 it and install it for the final time. the welds are not the best but it should look fantastic under the car where noone will see it.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Found some more time in the garage this morning. I painted the trans mount with POR-15 and installed it. It all turned out well.

Once installed, i measure up for my new driveshaft. I believe i am going to go with an aluminum shaft from the drive shaft shop. Its should do the trick.

Once i got my measurement i dropped out the rear subframe. Its easier to pull the whole subframe with this setup then it is to jsut pull the diff alone. Thus i pulled the subframe and removed the diff to get sent off and have the 3.15 gears installed

Since i had the subframe out, i figured i would clean it up get a good coat of POR-15 on it as well. Its starting to show some surface rust, so i figure a little preventative maintenance wouldn't hurt.

Pulled:

Cleaned and about ready for POR-15:

Thats as far as i got this morning. Hopefully i can get the gears back and everything re installed this week. We will see how things go, i may have to wait to re install until i get the new drive shaft.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Throwing some more pics up of progress... I got the Subframe finnished up, picked up my diff from getting the gears installed and then re assembled everything. I can not install the subframe until i get my new driveshaft from the drive shaft shop. I eneded up getting a chromoly shaft. I was told 3-4 weeks out before it would ship.

I also mounted the shifter in the car, ran the shifter cable to the trans and got all that hooked up. I stubbed wires out of the console for the neutral safety switch and built a small panel for the shifter surround. I think it came out decent.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

can't wait to see how that trans works out! Spring will be a good time!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All that work on the subframe and you couldnt even paint the diff!!! Come on man!

Quick Reply: Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7