Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley HP users, how are your input/outputs configured?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Holley HP users, how are your input/outputs configured?

Considering using the HP this year as the budget is tight and the Dominator is 3k with options. Did you have enough input/outputs to run your turbo LS car as well as you want?

I'm using a standalone trans controller and my fuel pumps are controlled by pressure switches so I was hoping I could sneak by with the HP and then swap it out for the Dom later if I wanted to expand on monitoring.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the HP and all the i/o are used bewteen the meth (sucker used 3 of 'em) and the electric fan. I actually ran out of i/o's and used the meth pump i/o to trigger the 2nd fuel pump also. Boost control looks nice but I'm out of i/o's. I guess I could put the fan on its own thing and free one up.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also looking for info, specifically using the two step and boost control. Can they be used at the same time to launch at a preset boost level?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Nova, the HP has doesnt use a I/O for the Fuel pump. It's green wire built is in enough to run a low amp pump or trigger a relay to power your bigger pumps.

As far as the I/O, The HP was really lagging. I ran it for a summer, and realized real fast it was kind of pointless for anymore then a daily driver. But thats my opinion.

im NOT a computer savvy individual and have trouble with the most basic **** sometimes, which is why i chose the HOlley, but from my own experience, like was said above... when the Meth wills steal 3 of the 4.... ugh.... I didnt waste much time upgrading to the dominator...

To touch on the Two-step and such, yes, you can use the preset rev limiters with launch control settings.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

My car will be 99% street car, but I would like to be able to go on the two step then brake and launch and a set boost level then ramp in the rest. The salesman told me that can't be done and pushed me towards the dom which is just not in the budget. I dont know anything about the I/O or what all runs off them but he said the hp doesn't have enough to do the 2 step and boodt launch control at the same time? E85 No meth 5.3/ s476r/ glide.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The real question we have here is how many inputs/outputs are used for each feature. Boost control, 2 step, fan, etc. Thanks for the answer on the fuel pump. Takes that out of the equation. 2nd and 3rd ones come on with pressure switch, no reason to change that.

If I can do boost control, 2 step, and one fan, I can get by with the HP.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Any idea how many I/O's are needed for boost control?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are 2 ways to look at it, you could definitely get away with the hp, you get 4 inputs and 4 outputs, I would use the holley boost control, so you would need 2 outputs (increase and decrease solenoids) dumand 2 inputs for that (dome psi and trans brake), so you would still have 2) inputs and 2) outputs left, the outputs could be used for controlling a secondary fuel pump, fans, or anything else you could think of, the input could be for driveshaft speed or a g-meter ??
Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00duvall
There are 2 ways to look at it, you could definitely get away with the hp, you get 4 inputs and 4 outputs, I would use the holley boost control, so you would need 2 outputs (increase and decrease solenoids) dumand 2 inputs for that (dome psi and trans brake), so you would still have 2) inputs and 2) outputs left, the outputs could be used for controlling a secondary fuel pump, fans, or anything else you could think of, the input could be for driveshaft speed or a g-meter ??
I guess i took that 4 I/O as

4 Inputs OR 4 outputs

not

4 Inputs AND 4 outputs...

My bad...

Good stuff...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sent u a p.m and email
Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bare min to do boost control with 2 solenoids would be 1 input & 2 outputs

1 for each solenoid & 1 for the dome pressure sensor. You would have to share the ground & 5v reference with something else.

I went with the dominator myself & couldn't be happier Im always adding more too it.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

I to am computer stupid, so the HP was a struggle for me-but with some great help guys got me going
I just use 2 of the 4 outputs for dual staging my fans, and 1 input for the data logger
I can see where you could run out of I/O's with more features, but something like Hobb's switches, etc could help with some add on's, like meth
or an ext. thermostat for the fans
I use a sep controller for my trans, but prob would have gotten the Dom. upfront if I had known I was going to switch to a 4L80E trans, but the HP was cheap on a deal
Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you need to read first before you start picking random things for inputs and outputs...

they are limited in what they can accept....

Inputs
Name:  inputs_zpsfa8ad849.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  24.5 KB

Outputs
Name:  outputs_zps1f9e7ea8.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  24.2 KB

Inputs
- (F) – “Frequency” - A digital input typically used for a speed input
- (5) – “0-5 Volt” – Used for any 0-5 volt sensor input
- (2) – “0-20 Volt” – Used for any 0-20 volt sensor input
- (T) – “Thermistor” – Used for thermistor type sensor inputs (2 wire coolant/air temperature sensors)
- (H) – “High” – Used for +12v switched inputs
- (G) – “Ground” – Used for ground switched inputs
- (S) – “Speed” – Used for inductive (AC signal) speed inputs

Outputs
- (H) – “High” – Used for switched +12v (system voltage) outputs
- (G) – “Ground” – Used for switched ground outputs
- (P+) – “PWM +” – Used for high side (+12v) Pulse Width Modulated Outputs
- (P-) – “PWM –“ – Used for ground Pulse Width Modulated Outputs

Basically Boost control will need 1 pwm- output per solenoid...
you can do it with one...but its far superior to use 2 solenoids.
and you will need one 5v input for dome pressure

meth will need either an Injector Driver(which you dont have any extra Injector Drivers on an HP)
or a PWM signal...and a special high current solid state relay from Holley(it can be done with other relays...but its not near as good and you will wear out a regular relay much faster than its normal lifetime)
Originally Posted by Holley EFI Documentation
The solenoids must be driven by an ECU injector driver output. If an extra injector driver channel is not available, a PWM
output can be used to trigger Holley PN 554-115. This is a two channel injector driver device that can control two water meth
solenoids using two high (+) or low (-) side PWM outputs.

GM Fans turn on by adding a ground...
so if you use up both outputs capable of a ground, you will need to find a new way to get a ground to the fans(add another relay in line that passes ground instead of 12v when activated) or rewire the fans to use a +12v activation wire on the coil instead of the ground.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley HP users, how are your input/outputs configured?