Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

402 NA power before a blower

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 402 NA power before a blower

So I've been neglecting my toy for the past few years and have been kicking around ideas for upgrades. I originally wanted to go with a NA 427 build but realized that for all that money I could spend a little more and make a lot more power with FI. Right now its the stock LS6 bottom end with AFR 205s and a decent sized cam. It makes around 450 RWHP (did a couple upgrades since the last time I dynoed). Anyways, I was thinking of dropping in an LS2 402 built for boost. I will likely do the motor this Spring but wait a year until doing the blower which I haven't decided what I'm going with yet. My question is how my current setup would compare with a lower compression 402 if I reuse my heads and intake but swap the cam for a blower friendly cam. I realize the cam is important here but I was hoping for confirmation that gaining 56 cubes would hopefully offset the loss from dropping the compression and going with a potentially smaller cam for a future blower.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the very same shoes as you a couple weeks ago. So I decided to say fk it and shoot for a higher compression. Like you I wanted a stout and not a slouch NA build that would be in my car around 1 year before FI.

My bottom end will also be a stroker but a 383ci. I ended up going with -8cc wiseco pistons that will net me with my Trickflow heads at 61cc a 11.3:1 SCR. That will be the set up for NA. Once I go FI I could change the heads with some 71cc heads and will end up with 10:1 SCR wich allows me to run 93 oct and meth injection for some high boost.

However for the future FI set up I will leave the car at 11.3 SCR run E85 with Meth and have a lot more power and with lower boost lvls..

I think sooner or later many people seeing the benefits of E85 end up with it so I decided to just go for it. If I dont like the new way I could always end up going with different heads to lower SCR to 10:1 and run 93 oct+Meth.

Just make sure you go with the right combo, because in the end "life" could happen and you would be stuck with a low compression engine for a lot longer than 1 year.

Hope that helps
Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not wanting to run meth so 91 octane will be it for me (no places around me have 93 that I know of). Like you said I don't want it to be a dog vs my current setup for the next year or more. So basically I'm looking at over 1.5 point drop in CR vs my current setup but gaining 56 cubes. I also did some rough calcs and if I want to keep my 205's I would need a pretty large dish in the pistons to get down to the CR I want for FI. So maybe I will just keep it at a high compression with the 205s in the meantime combined with a thicker gasket and a reasonable dished piston until I go FI. At that point a head swap would get me down to the compression I need for FI. Hell I can probably sell the 205's at that point and make a few bucks.

Quick Reply: 402 NA power before a blower