Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cx racing air to water intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cx racing air to water intercooler

I've seen some guys awhile back run something like this the one that sticks in my head is parish's truck . Has anybody recently used one of these on a street car . I was thinking about running one in my fairmont with meth. What's y'all thoughts on these??

Cx racing air to water intercooler-image-4130932213.jpg
Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen 3-4 people use them locally. I can't say how they were as far as flow/cooling effectiveness goes because neither could they, but I personally am not a fan on using A2W intercoolers in street cars. More hassle than its worth. They work so well at the track because you can fill them with ice water, and then they blow away an A2A intercooler in cooling efficiency. This isn't the same case on the street, and they are heavy and complicated.

Treadstone makes some cheap intercoolers that are good for 1000+ HP.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that's the only thing I'm not sure about is how effective on the street it is when you don't have ice and all you have is water flowing through it. But I think I might give it a try. The coldside will be simple to plumb. And if it works for parish it'll work for me. Lol maybe
Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The TT lambos use a2w lol.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the factory supercharged cars use A/W.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
All the factory supercharged cars use A/W.
That's because they use roots/screw blowers and have a very small effective area to cool the charge. They can't just plumb in a big intercooler anywhere they want.

They also have to use a large heat exchanger (often as wide as the radiator) mounted up front to try to cool the water back down. This system has to have its own fluid reservoir and pump.

Those setups are EXTREMELY inefficient but are there only option, so that's why they are used.

As for the A/W system, make sure you get a big enough heat exchanger up front to cool the water on the street.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use one one the street. My car is on E85 and I don't even turn the bilge pump on unless I have 30lbs of ice in the reservoir and I'm making a pass. Even with no water circulating and cruising for like an hour on the way to LSfest, IATs were like in the mid 130s. It doesn't bother me because it's on E85.

When making a pass, IATs start at 48* and I hit the traps right around 100*. I have 1" line front to back, but the fittings on the cooler at like 3/4" ID. I'm going to take those out and have 1" aluminum barbs welded on instead, I theorize that will help A LOT with the IATs at the traps. I've considered putting meth back on it because I know now how important cooler IATs are.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HexenLord
That's because they use roots/screw blowers and have a very small effective area to cool the charge. They can't just plumb in a big intercooler anywhere they want.

They also have to use a large heat exchanger (often as wide as the radiator) mounted up front to try to cool the water back down. This system has to have its own fluid reservoir and pump.

Those setups are EXTREMELY inefficient but are there only option, so that's why they are used.

As for the A/W system, make sure you get a big enough heat exchanger up front to cool the water on the street.
If the stock ones suck so bad and still cool the charge imagine how well an aftermarket setups work.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CameronVic
I use one one the street. My car is on E85 and I don't even turn the bilge pump on unless I have 30lbs of ice in the reservoir and I'm making a pass. Even with no water circulating and cruising for like an hour on the way to LSfest, IATs were like in the mid 130s. It doesn't bother me because it's on E85.

When making a pass, IATs start at 48* and I hit the traps right around 100*. I have 1" line front to back, but the fittings on the cooler at like 3/4" ID. I'm going to take those out and have 1" aluminum barbs welded on instead, I theorize that will help A LOT with the IATs at the traps. I've considered putting meth back on it because I know now how important cooler IATs are.
Does yours have a heat exchanger too??or just the a2w cooler like I'm looking at buying.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm planing on running e85 and meth . I know it'll cool better at the track but I'm glad to see somebody using one on tha street .
Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The a2w intercooler that is used on the twin turbo kit from CBR performacne/Modular Turbo is one that is designed for the street. You can keep making pulls on just water. To get the most efficiency though ice is better.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
If the stock ones suck so bad and still cool the charge imagine how well an aftermarket setups work.
I never said it wouldnt work. Water is a much better coolant than air. I'm saying that without a pump and heat exchanger, you might as well not run one if its in a street car. If you don't recirculate the water to cool it back down through a heat exchanger, then the water will just store heat and have the opposite effect. Can you plumb one without a heat exchanger and just run a reservoir and pump to the cooler? Yeah, at the track... but you'd be better off running no intercooler if it is a street car.

With E85 AND Meth, its almost pointless to run one. You're detonation resistance is already going to be insane, and charge temps cool. The intercooler might keep IATs down, but unless you're running 12.5:1 compression at 30 pounds of boost, it wouldn't effect knock resistance in the slightest bit (and even then, it wouldn't be a drastic difference).
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said it wouldnt work. Water is a much better coolant than air. I'm saying that without a pump and heat exchanger, you might as well not run one if its in a street car. If you don't recirculate the water to cool it back down through a heat exchanger, then the water will just store heat and have the opposite effect. Can you plumb one without a heat exchanger and just run a reservoir and pump to the cooler? Yeah, at the track... but you'd be better off running no intercooler if it is a street car.

With E85 AND Meth, its almost pointless to run one. You're detonation resistance is already going to be insane, and charge temps cool. The intercooler might keep IATs down, but unless you're running 12.5:1 compression at 30 pounds of boost, it wouldn't effect knock resistance in the slightest bit (and even then, it wouldn't be a drastic difference).
Very true if im going to go with e85 there's no point in having a a2w. I've talked to y'all and a few others even parish and he said the same you did hexenlord not much point in running a a2w with e85 he said it was more trouble than it was worth on his truck. So I'm steering towards sticking with my a2a. Simplicity is always better for me.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin turbo c5
Does yours have a heat exchanger too??or just the a2w cooler like I'm looking at buying.
Just the intercooler. A heat exchanger will just heat the water to ambient even faster for what I'm doing. It's just 36' of 1" line front to back.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had my experiences with A2W intercoolers. For a car that is primarily street, they become a hassle. They are unparalled at the track, but often the same heat exchanger that makes them streetable becomes the issue there. Set them up for one or the other.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had my experiences with A2W intercoolers. For a car that is primarily street, they become a hassle. They are unparalled at the track, but often the same heat exchanger that makes them streetable becomes the issue there. Set them up for one or the other.
Yeah this thing will be driven more than raced. Your right it'll probaly be more trouble than what it's worth . I've had goodluck at high boost with 93 octane and meth I made 747 with a 76mm Is the most I've made yet.

Quick Reply: Cx racing air to water intercooler