John Deer Hy gard Trans Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
DAMN I LOVE THIS SITE
learn new stuff every day.

I have a 1k-1200hp car being built right now with a jakes 4l80e/trans brake.
should i go straight to the hyd oil for the trans?
I'd be asking the guy that built the 3,000-4,000 dollar trans, not ls1tech.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hygaurd isnt same stuff as standard hyd fluid for tractors.i had to take a class on hygaurd to finish up my masters tech cert for deere.hygaurd is badass stuff! Plus 50 deere engine oil is what i run in my lil turbo ls dragboat also.its nothing like rotella, deere plus 50 still has all the good **** in it lol deere refines it themselves from what i understand.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Do you remember what kind of temps you were seeing when you smoked it? I just had my glide apart yesterday. After few thousand street miles and 100+ passes with 24lb Tbrake launches the clutches/steels, fluid, bands etc all looked great. (10 clutch high gear) Sanded the faces a tad and threw it back together. I don't even think I'll tear it down next season. I never see over 250 degrees and my temp probe is in the pan. Since I'm not racing any real events though I always let it cool down between passes.
The temp sender maxed out at 350* it was in the pan. Takes me abit of time to build boost. Tight converter

The datalog showed it was just about crested so id say around 370. I think the fluid in the converter was alot hotter all the paint was dull and kinda burnt looking on the converter.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Is this a equivalent stuff?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...on-fluid-5-gal

Or this?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...http:ClickInfo
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the second one. It says it replaced Jd hy gard. I don't think the first one does. The second one is also what forcefed recommended above.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:06 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That second one is the one I run in my Rossler 400
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always ran the J20-D (low viscosity) in my Jake's th400 and I have never had an issue. Beat the **** out of it and tons of street miles in 100+ temps. My th400 never over heated, never slipped or gave me any problems.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I bought the second one. It says it replaced Jd hy gard. I don't think the first one does. The second one is also what forcefed recommended above.
Hey man, did you ever get the fluid into your trans? Curious to know how you like it. My car will be up and running again in a couple of weeks and will probably switch the Tractor Supply fluid.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Hey man, did you ever get the fluid into your trans? Curious to know how you like it. My car will be up and running again in a couple of weeks and will probably switch the Tractor Supply fluid.
I haven't put it in my car yet, but have been running it in my 4l60e in my truck for about 3 months. Its a stock stock 03 gmc sierra with 5.3 with 156,000 miles. It actually has made the truck shift slightly firmer and trans temps run slightly cooler and the stock converter is tighter with it in there, lol. I like it in the truck and will put it in the car when I get a chance to do it. I wanted to do a before and after temp comparasion with it in the car.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 AM
8 Second Club

Sorry to bring this back from the dead. So is it safe to say the Travellers brand from TSC
is equivalent to the reg-viscosity hy-gard?

Im getting my 400 freshened up over the winter and would like to try this stuff.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by samdogmx
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. So is it safe to say the Travellers brand from TSC

Im getting my 400 freshened up over the winter and would like to try this stuff.
Thanks for dragging this up from the dead. Teaching this dog some new information. I am running a T56 right now but always wanting more information.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I don't know if thats a "safe" statement. Yes, it can be used as trans fluid. But comparing it to Hygard is like comparing Walmart oil to AMSOIL. I think the hygard is the superior oil from personal experience. I burnt the cheap HYD 303 fluid. Standard type F fluid would burn in my trans soo after heavy use. Never toasted the Hygard. If your fluid temps are kept in check I'm sure the cheaper fluid would be fine. My trans guy uses the cheap Orileys 303 in all his dragster transmissions. They don't see heat like my turbo stuff does though.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 01-24-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

I bought some to use as well. it's cheap enough that you can change it out more frequently too.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used some kind of Orilies hydrolic fluid in mine at drag week after breaking the low gear band. Ended up running the 8.22 with it carrying 120lbs of extra weight in the car. Lol. Not sure where rpm was I never looked but it was on limiter just before the traps.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I don't know if thats a "safe" statement. Yes, it can be used as trans fluid. But comparing it to Hygard is like comparing Walmart oil to AMSOIL. I think the hygard is the superior oil from personal experience. I burnt the cheap HYD 303 fluid. Standard type F fluid would burn in my trans soo after heavy use. Never toasted the Hygard. If your fluid temps are kept in check I'm sure the cheaper fluid would be fine. My trans guy uses the cheap Orileys 303 in all his dragster transmissions. They don't see heat like my turbo stuff does though.

yeah maybe I worded that poorly. I guess I should have asked is everyone seeing similar results with the Travelers or Orielly's brand hydraulic fluids as compared to the real JD hy-gard?

I have been running Type F for that past 2 years and have never burnt it, pan temps have never been over 185* My trans guy has it apart right now and it only had a few hot spots on some of the 3rd gear clutches.

that being said, is there any reason to spend the extra on the real JD brand hy-gard or could I get by with the cheaper stuff?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

yeah maybe I worded that poorly. I guess I should have asked is everyone seeing similar results with the Travelers or Orielly's brand hydraulic fluids as compared to the real JD hy-gard?

I have been running Type F for that past 2 years and have never burnt it, pan temps have never been over 185* My trans guy has it apart right now and it only had a few hot spots on some of the 3rd gear clutches.

that being said, is there any reason to spend the extra on the real JD brand hy-gard or could I get by with the cheaper stuff?
I don't see any reason to... The Orileys 303 is good stuff. Lots of guys use it here.

Quick Reply: John Deer Hy gard Trans Fluid?