Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 boost build/reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 boost build/reliability?

Hey guys, I've been grabbing all the info I can for a while now in preparation for a turbo build. As of now I've been looking at building a 5.3, but I may just build an ls1. My old dd is still sitting in my drive way. It's a 2000 Z28 with a perfectly good ls1 just sitting there. The car overall isn't the greatest, and has a few cosmetic issues that gave me a few headaches, but I now have an 02 Formula now so it's all good. The ls1 in it has about 173k on it, but it still runs and only smokes at WOT, and only slightly at that. It has a built 4L60e in it with about 25k on it, that was never used for what it was built for. I had it done with the intent to handle a heads/cam ls1 and I never did those mods. That car just wasn't worth it. I'm honestly surprised the motor has lasted this long because I'm pretty sure it was sprayed in the past. When I bought it at 126k, the tie rods were all blown, the suspension bad, the rear had been replaced with a M6 rear (3.42) and you can see where it had been leaking, and the interior had some pieces missing (weight reduction lol). Also there is a toggle switch that sits near my right knee that doesn't do anything. So dispite some abuse she still runs.

Now, what all would need to be replaced to handle a little boost? I'm only looking for 600-650whp, so I'm thinking 12-14lbs should do it. Im also trying to not spend a fortune on it, hence using the ls1 and not buying a 5.3. I'll be running some 317 heads and an LS6 intake with Siemens 60's. Or 80's? I want this to be a street car and even DD worthy. Something that acts very tame until I mash the go pedal. Any recommendations will be very helpful.

Also, this will be going in my Formula. It's an A4 with 2.73's. I'll be swapping the built 4l60e w/3200 stall over as well untill it breaks. I also think I'll keep the 2.73's until I get a better rear, they might help me keep from destroying it for a time.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS9 head gaskets and ARP head studs and done.

Quick Reply: LS1 boost build/reliability?