Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default procharger or turbo

I'm starting to collect parts for a 89 notchback and looking to do a FI system. So whats the pros and cons of procharger and turbo. Looking to make 850 to 950 hp,will be a 5.3 or maybe 6.0 a/t street and strip ( more strip ) thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo more instant power cheaper. Cons reliability, more oil changes. Procharger takes hp to run. But less heat issues.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Every one does a turbo. There cheap and make good power. But I'm a Procharger guy, I want something different.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Does the prochargers take that long to make power ? And on average how much hp to run ? I don't care about oil changes as far as turbos go. I would like to get the most hp for the money and reliabity
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

never understood the "Procharger takes longer to make power" thing
I have built 10-15 Procharged cars, they all had great instant power
correct cam, converter, tune, all boosted cars run good
if you can do the work yourself, maybe a turbo can be done cheaper, depending on the quality of the turbo-some guys are getting good results with import turbos
they both have their advantages
Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

A procharger builds boost to redline. A turbo will reach full boost mid rev range (depending on size) and maintain it until redline.

As an example a turbo may hit full boost at 4k and maintain it until redline. A procharger will start to make boost earler but without the drastic ramp up of a turbo and linearly build until redline. Some say the lack of the drasic ramp up makes a charger boring compared to a turbo.

The power of a procharger is more linear and predictable.

I am going procharger due to packaging. I want to keep my A/C and the prochargers are easy to plumb up, charge pipes and oiling (or lack there-of). No hot side to have to deal with. N/A exhaust works very will with the procharger. The ONLY reason turbo is cheaper is that a good turbo is $700-1300 and a charger is $2500+. Charger has less fab work.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Are you building this car for any type of class racing? If so which one? That would determine a lot.

A turbo is most likely going to be a cheaper route. Especially if you can do your own fab work.

I'm a huge ProCharger fan, but IMHO. On a strip car if you don't want to spend the money on a nice cog or 10 rib belt system to turn a F1R or bigger blower, go turbo.

ProChargers sound so awesome though...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 AM
9 Second Club

Just like to go fast. mid age thing. Will be on the streets sometimes and track. I like the sound of prochargers also. Would like to get into the low 10 or high 9s, you know, dump a lot of money into it and give it away like a f-body ( just kidding )
Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hated my procharger. Mostly because it was noisy. Also the service was the worst i'd ever dealt with. Sold it and went turbo... The hell with belt driven stuff.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by M.BOZZ
Just like to go fast. mid age thing. Will be on the streets sometimes and track. I like the sound of prochargers also. Would like to get into the low 10 or high 9s, you know, dump a lot of money into it and give it away like a f-body ( just kidding )
LOL, I hear ya!

Well in that case then...

A D1 ProCharger with a good bracket setup will get you your low 10s with a little effort. An F1A to F1R with the same bracket set up can get you the low 9s high 8s territory in your Fox.

If you got the dough to throw at it, and you decide you want to go ProCharger. With the room in that Fox you're going to have. I would just throw a F1X blower on it and run low 9s with out even pushing it at all. Then if you get where you want more power, PULEY UP and run you some mid to low 8s. With supporting mods of course... That's just me, the F1X is a MONSTER for the package

Like I stated earlier though, you will be able to get those kind of numbers with a Snail for a lot less cubic dollars...

Another question for you BOZZ. Have you ever driven a ProCharged or Turbo charged car that makes good power?

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I hated my procharger. Mostly because it was noisy. Also the service was the worst i'd ever dealt with. Sold it and went turbo... The hell with belt driven stuff.
Agreed, the belt issues can be a major kill joy with the blowers. He has an advantage with the Fox though, he has a ton more room to run a nice belt setup and not have to worry about it.

I think in his case it just boils down to how much money he wants to throw at it. For the kind of track numbers he is after.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

I've been in a fox with a 6.0 and ( I think ) 88mm turbo and t-56 and I must say, I'm smiling right now while I'm typing this. No I haven't been in a procharged one before, but there is a black 94 poo stange that drive past the shop sometimes ford powered with procharger and its loud.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

A aster bracket and cbr pulley and you are good to go tell me about turbo impellers and bearings??
Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Rite on. Reason I asked that is, a big turbo car will feel way different than a ProCharger car of the same power level. Turbos will make a ton more torque than the PC will. It also "comes in" a lot different too.

If you have ridden in a car with a 88mm snail, then you know what I'm talking about. The power hits like freight train on the street. The PC won't have this feeling, per say. It makes less torque per PSI of boost, and the curve is more gradual as the RPMs climb. It won't have that massive "hit" in power like you felt with the turbo car. Just some info for your decision.

The turbo car will feel a lot quicker because of that instant hit of torque. This also is a double edge sword. Although that big hit of torque is fun and feels awesome, it is also a little harder to control the power to the ground because of it. You can control it though with multi stage boost controlers, and this is where some of the complexity of the turbo game comes to play.

Where as the ProCharger with it's gradual increase in power with RPM is a little easier to put the power to the ground, but doesn't feel like the monster power house like the turbo. Now don't get me wrong, a big PC is fun as hell to drive as well! Just a different feel...

Sorry for the novel...

Originally Posted by js2fst
A aster bracket and cbr pulley and you are good to go tell me about turbo impellers and bearings??
He won't have to fight the low hung super charger mount issue like us F-Body guys do. Since he is throwing this set up in Fox Mustang. He has the wonderful privilege of being able to run the charger up high with a good mount and drive system. Lucky sucker
Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A procharger setup is going to be very loud. Not only will there be belt whine but you'll hear the compressor a mile away. The exhaust will be at least twice as loud (almost uncomfortably loud for a street car). This is the main reason I ditched my big block in favor of a turbo LS.

If its going to be primarily a street car, a turbo will be much quieter. You can run it open without mufflers and it'll still be fairly quiet. The V8 will still sound like a V8. Oh and anti-lag (2 step setups) on a turbo are LOTS of fun when it comes to scaring the hell out of people.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im running a max effort f1c with a cog drive and my exhaust does not sound much different than without the blower. the blow off valve makes the most noise out of any component in my system. just so damn easy to work on compared to a turbo. power per dollar the turbo is probably better. ease of use, installation, repair and tuning procharger all the way
Old 02-11-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Wastegate the procharger
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lmt0705
im running a max effort f1c with a cog drive and my exhaust does not sound much different than without the blower. the blow off valve makes the most noise out of any component in my system. just so damn easy to work on compared to a turbo. power per dollar the turbo is probably better. ease of use, installation, repair and tuning procharger all the way
^^^ Yep, true statement right there!

My F1A coming down the road, all you hear is the bypassed air rushing out of that big ol' red race valve. Then you hear the exhaust rumbling after it drives by. The coolest sound on the road to me! The main reason I went ProCharger, THE SOUND!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 2000 z28 with Engine LS1 5.7 liter TSP 228R cam 3500 stall converter SLP air intake Corsa exhaust system Stage 2 tuning Lower 2 inch drop Manly stainless steel valves 3 angle valve job Port and polish heads Dantaoff duel valve springs CHROMEMONLY pushrods Copper coated racing head gaskets Jackson timing gears / double chain Transmission Shift kit Royal purple transmission fluid Differential Stock (373.1) Wheels Chrome 18 inch Corvette Z06 wheels Tires what should I go with as far as a procharger?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

If sounds is a concern the D1SC can be had with the helical cut gears. Reduces teh procharger whine greatly. The only sound left for consideration is the BOV blowing air all the time. A huge charger will be flowing a lot more air. The D1SC cruising around won't be all that bad. The exhaust sounds the same as an N/A car at idle and cruising around. Not realy sure how a procharger could make the exhaust louder.

Quick Reply: procharger or turbo