Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Second guessing my part selection. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second guessing my part selection. Need advice

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my parts and I thought I had my mind made up but I keep second guessing myself. I think I'm just looking for some reassurance. Anyway, my goal right now is mid to low 9s and hopefully high 8s in the future with a couple of upgrades later. This is the list of the build I came up with so far:

LQ9 iron block
317 heads
Stock crank
Wiseco 4.03 pistons 10.5 CR (+/- .1-.3)
Upgraded wrist pins
Callies Compstar HD I-beam rods
FI T6 S400SX-80 96mm turbine 1.32AR (the 1200hp version
Tick Stage 3 Turbo cam
Hardend push rods
Brian Tooley Valvesprings
Titanium retainers

I've sent emails/PMs to Martin @ Tick and DrTurbo asking for confirmation on my turbo and cam selection but figured I'd post here as well.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Launching!

If anyone knows turbos, its Martin. I just ordered a custom grind cam from him and hes awesome to talk to and deal with. Your list looks pretty good to me. ARP head studs, LS9 head gaskets and youre about done. Your times in the quarter will be all about hooking and suspension.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I already have ARP main studs. I was going to wait on the head studs until I get the short block built. Its been a long year waiting, researching, tearing down the LQ9, getting a decent platform to work with(rust free car in my profile pic I picked up for $300), and I just now dropped the K-member, blown V6 and trans out of it on Sunday.

Of course, my machinist wants my pistons and studs before he starts working on the block so I'm looking to get things ordered up so I can get my block to him before the busy season gets rolling around here lol
Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

I am looking for advise as far as injectors, fuel pump(s), transmission and rears. Any help is appreciated guys!

Here is some engine removal **** for your entertainment

Last edited by bldgengineer; 02-11-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No smaller than 80 lb injectors. The rest is largely circumstantial. Are you running in tank or external pump? What is the car being built for primarily, street or track? Gears will depend on your transmission selection and again, street or track.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

It will be primarily track driven. Street use will be VERY rare. I'm pretty much open to any options for the pump, trans and gears. I still have the factory gear in the rear but do plan on replacing it of course. A glide does sound fun though!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would do some FIC 127lb Fuel Injectors, a MagnaFuel MP-4303 Pump and Regulator, and all of your lines and a sumped tank. As for the transmission, if its primarily a track car I would do a TH400 from a reputable company with a PTC, FTI, Yank, or ProTorque Converter. As for the rear end, call Eric @ Midwest Chassis and have him set you up there. A 9" with a nice center section, spool, axles, and say 3.25 gears would be nice.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Got my cam, pistons w/ upgraded wrist pins, rods and bearings ordered up. I'll be dropping my block and parts off at the machine shop as soon as they get here.

This weekend I deleted the HVAC box and swapped the front suspension over to the LS1 k-member. Also, finally got a heater for the garage. Maybe now I can warm the garage up enough to paint the engine bay lol

Quick Reply: Second guessing my part selection. Need advice