Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Burning Oil/Oil Resrictor Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Burning Oil/Oil Resrictor Question

So I am chasing some oil burning issues with my new turbo build. Here are the specs..

Specs: 78mm Turbonectics
Oil Feed -4
Oil Drain 5/8"
Oil Pressure:40lbs idle, 60lbs cruising, 75 Cold

So when I initially installed the turbo it smoked a little and after tweaking the drain hose it stopped. So I installed a catch can and after letting the car sit for two weeks it smokes like a freight train!! Obviously oil is getting in the downpipe. Now the drain is not ideal being that its is at about 45* but unfortunately its as best as its going to get due to a super tight engine compartment. I know the turbo is getting plenty of oil being that it is getting past the seal. I talked to a local turbo expert and he told me to make sure the drain was optimal in both size and drain angle. Second he stated that with that high oil pressure and -4 line he thought that the volume of oil was too large. He recommended reducing the line size to -3. Do that I have already plumbed -4 I would like to keep it.

My questions are:

1. Is oil getting past the seals immediately detrimental to the turbo?
2. What size oil restrictor should I be looking at? I wouldnt mind getting a couple. I want to use the "least restrictive" restrictor that stops the oil from passing the seal.
3. Did the newly installed catch can contribute to this problem? If so how?

Any help would be VERY APPRECIATED!!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Journal or ball bearing turbo ?

What size oil feed did the manufacturer/supplier request ? If journal, I would highly doubt anyone would recommend a -3

Is it a proper gravity drain ? ie is the discharge level higher than the level of oil in the pan ?

Without knowing how you've configured this catch can, no way of telling.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Journal or ball bearing turbo ?

What size oil feed did the manufacturer/supplier request ? If journal, I would highly doubt anyone would recommend a -3

Is it a proper gravity drain ? ie is the discharge level higher than the level of oil in the pan ?

Without knowing how you've configured this catch can, no way of telling.
Journal bearing.

Yes, center section is higher the drain into pan.

LS6 valley cover to catch can. Catch can with one way valve to throttle body. Valve cover to turbo inlet.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

You probably should remove the catch can fitting that goes to the intake manifold and see if it quits smoking. Cap the fitting on the intake.
With 2 possible issues, you need to eliminate one.

I asked the same question about oil feed for my BW journal bearing turbo and got every answer under the sun...

Ron
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

I blew my engine with this issue! My return was - 10 with brass fittings and my feed was - 4 unrestricted. It smoked a bit and I thought nothing of it. I raced my buddy on the freeway and the entire thing went up in smoke. I pulled the engine apart and found 3 bent rods from oil hydrolock. So i re assembled the engine with forged internals, did a - 12 return and an fittings and still use the - 4 feed. haven't seen a puff of smoke since.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Ps.... Borg Warner did not want a restrictor used on the journal bearing turbo, so I never used one. I could also tell it was oil from the turbo because my bov was spitting it out.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the turbo itself is the problem.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Teching In

My turbo guy said that the oil seal is metal and once the oil drain/feed is figured out it will reseal and be fine.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil/Oil Resrictor Question